“Good Stay but not overly impressing” 4 of 5 stars

Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #24 of 452 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Stay but not overly impressing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed Thanksgiving weekend in a large suite. Property is very nice, trendy and clean. The room was good sized and the balcony was a great feature. Bed was comfortable and was very quiet at night. Large spacious bathroom was also very nice. The lighting could have been improved in the closet areas but the touch button controls were unique and easy to use.

Cons: Couple of small issues could be corrected to have made this a much better stay. The hot water in the shower was very hit or miss (often too hot or too cold), the free mini bar was a nice touch but the beer was never restocked after our first night, we took a house car to a Broadway show and the driver didn't know where it was (despite being only a few blocks away and costing $40), we weren't provided a comforter and pillows for the pull out bed until the second night. Closet space was a bit limited in the bedroom. Door man was non existent at the main entrance, which was puzzling for a such an expensive and trendy hotel.

Pros: After reading the check in reviews I was a bit nervous, but our went smoothly. I used the web check in earlier in the day and was greeted promptly when we arrived. A porter took our luggage, brought us right to the room and explained the amenities to us. I will note that we didn't check in until 8:30pm so it was rather slow in the lobby area. After leaving my keys in the room 3 times, I was given replacement keys each time with a courteous smile. The location of the hotel is excellent. Just a short walk to Bryant Park, Time Sq., Rockefeller Center, Broadway and plenty of excellent shopping. Breakfast is good but expensive. I expected this for room service in NYC so it wasn't an issue.

Overall a good stay. The hotel itself was very nice, service seemed to be the main issue. For the price I feel we could do better on our next stay in the city.

Room Tip: Room 1101 (large suite) or 1104 should be your choice. They are on the 11th floor with a large ter...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

1,321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

It's a boutique hotel with only a handful of rooms on each floor and really quiet. Has an amazing shower in the bathroom and all the amenities at an Andaz. Location is great, you can walk to most places except soho and the village. So much better than the W

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1,028 helpful votes 1,028 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our stay at the Andaz did not start well, taxi driver could not find the hotel due to poor signage and cars double parked by the hotel entrance. Once inside, it was not clear where we had to wait as reception area was not obvious and we had to wait 5 minutes before staff appeared. Once checked in we could not open our room door only to find that we had been given the wrong room.
Why have I awarded the Andaz such a high rating you may ask? Well, once the room issue was resolved the hotel staff were very attentive and efficient. We liked our room, especially the bathroom, my only critisism is with the glass wardrobes, not because they were see through, they were just not big enough to store clothing for two people staying 5 days. Loved the shower, the room size, free non-alcoholic mini-bar, and the high ceilings.
Breakfast was superb, we ate everyday, although tended to have lunch & dinner outside of the hotel. Liked the complimentary wine off the reception area at happy hour.
So, besides our first 20 minutes at the hotel, the rest of the time was great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was a decent hotel, but for the price I paid, it needs to improve. The problems I had with the hotel are the same problems many reviewers have noted, which concerns me since they don't appear to be being addressed. I'll start with the cons (problem areas): 1) Check-in in has major issues - I initially attempted to check in at 11 am, there was no room available so they took our bags and told us to come back. They said they would work on getting us a high room as I requested. I ended up getting a room on the 4th floor...not high in my book, but I'm assuming it is the highest they had available. Anyhow, they called at around 4 to let me know my room was ready. We came back in the early evening to check in and that is when things took a turn. Check in was chaotic despite the fact that there was only one other couple checking in at the same time. The young man asked us for our name, handed us our key and that was it. No description of the property or amenities, no maps or questions about why we were visiting, no introduction or mention of the concierge, no offer to help us with our bags, nothing. The whole ordeal was a bit cold and unprofessional. 2) The staff is very young and trendy, which fits the hotel vibe, and always smile, but there is just a warmth that is missing. There also seems to be a real lack of organization. The staff always seem to be running around, but not necessarily helping you when you need it. Out of the three days we were there, a staff member opened the front door for us 1 time. That is unacceptable when I am paying $400 a night. I highly recommend management start instituting stations that people must man at all times instead of running around frantically. A person at the front door at all times and a person at the check-in desk at all times is a must. 3) No closet space. The hotel is trendy, I get it and I've stayed at other hotels with similar concepts, but none with this little storage space. No drawers and only a tiny glass closet space to hang a few item and 4) the bed was ok, definitely not the comfiest I've ever slept in.

Pros: Room was very, very clean and the view of the public library was nice. The minibar in the room was a nice touch since it offered free snacks and non-alcoholic drinks. The room was quiet despite facing 5th avenue. Location was awesome.

I stay in NYC at least 2x a year and I doubt I will be going back to this hotel. For the $ I think there are better options with more personal service. If it works out the kinks, I think ti would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear lovevacas,

I am truly embarrassed that your arrival was disorganized. It is very important that we make sure our door greeter is present to direct and welcome all of our guests, even though it is true we have a "different" check-in than most other hotels. One of the aspects we focus on is spending more time with our guests than is typically expected - with an escort to the room for our first time arrivals, hotel and amenity explanation, and personal recommendations for the city. It is truly unacceptable that you did not receive this, and it affected your entire stay. I have contacted you directly to ensure you feel the value of choosing our hotel, and would like to invite you back for another night. Despite our modern decor, our team strives to provide old-fashioned warm and authentic service. Thank you again for a second chance!

Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I don't ask for much. A hotel that's worth the money with good service and speedy and accurate check in and out. The Andaz, a boutique hotel that is trying a bit too hard to be trendy, was a failure for us. It started out a bit weak. The hotel is difficult to find with no discernable marking and only one spot out front. Nevertheless they managed to take the car after we doubleparked and brought in the luggage. They have the oh-so-cool kiosks with young staff dressed in black. We were in quickly. The room was ok, nice modern bathroom, obligatory impossible to figure out lighting and minimal free snacks. But ok.
Nice big bedand we had a good sleep. Excellent breakfast. Brought our stuff down and checked it with the bellmen and told them to keep our car until later. Got the claim checks and went out for the day. When we checked out at 4 the chaos began. They charged us $300 for a late check out (we left at 11:30). The brought us the wrong luggage. Then the wrong car! (worse then mine so I sent it back). They tried to console us but the damage was done. Pay a little more attention to service and a little less to trying to be hip (impossible in NYC--the hotel is so 2010). Please, no canned management comment about how sorry you are. Own up to it and travelers will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a roiom with a view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear billyboy18,

You are absolutely right - we should get the basics right before any of the bells and whistles. For us these basics are: an easy arrival and warm welcome, a great shower, a solid night sleep, delicious and quality food, and quick departure. While many guests experience all of the above, we are absolutely focused on continuing to improve to make sure it is consistent. I am embarrassed to hear about your departure experience and look forward to corresponding with you directly so we can have a "re-do" and show you what Andaz is really about.

Thank you sincerely for your comments.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have stayed at the Andaz 5th Avenue twice. It is a boutique hotel that is well located, near the library and Bryant Park. My teenage daughter loved the trendy decor. The rooms are small, but larger than most in NYC. The bathroom is very modern and spacious. The free glasses of wine in the evening and snacks and non-alcoholic beverages in the room are a nice feature. The only issue is that the rooms only accommodate 2 people. It wouldn't work out for a family.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear JPWPhiladelphia,

We are glad to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay, and that you particularly liked our bathrooms. Thank you!

Cornwall,UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Andaz would have received an excellent rating from us in normal times - but in the chaos of Sandy they deserve a 5 Star Plus ! The management and staff handled the whole situation in a very professional, efficient and very friendly manner, so important when most of the guests are probably stressed for one reason or another. Also most of the staff were sleeping in as they could not get home and worked several shifts on the trot. Most guests will want to mention particular staff - for us we want to particularly thank "Ramon" and "JD" for their helpful and friendly attention.
The Andaz will be our first call the next time we visit New York!

Room Tip: We had an "Andaz Suite" on the 12th floor - ideal for us as a couple plus teenager
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear jimcornwall_12,

Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize Ramon and JD for their efforts to provide excellence service despite limited resources during the storm. Your kind words are appreciated. We will all certainly remember this week for a long time to come.

Connie

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!