“Loved this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Loved this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I believe this hotel is part of is Hyatt's boutique line. When we checked in they were over booked so we wound up with an upgraded room which was significantly bigger then the room we booked. I saw the room we we supposed and it was small but clean modern.

I love modern and the hotel is designed with natural colors, wood and stone. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom is terrific. The shower has various spouts, a seat and a bowl for a foot bath. The walls are covered in marble and wood and really pretty. The mimi bar is stocked with water, juice, sparkling drinks, and alcohol. Everything but the booze is free. This includes the chips, health bar and chocolate.

In the laid back lobby there is always fruit and walnuts and coffee in the morning. At six pm there is complimentary wine. The restaurant is casual and good. I loved breakfast although it is expensive as hotels are, but worth it. The coffee was good as well as the tea. I am a tea lover and they had an assortment of fresh tea leaves which is right up my alley. The muffins are delicious and person sized instead of giant size.

The ambiance, and the warm, friendly service were flawless. I had a nice message in my room from Jessie and a wonderful helpful experience with Jen a woman who worked at the front table because there is no front desk.

On the bottom level there is a bar which looked nice but we never went. On the second floor are their party rooms and they were beautiful If I lived in NY I would want to have a party there.

I recommend this hotel. New York is a tough city to find a hotel room in that is not a months rent. This terrific hotel fits the bill. It is not cheap but was reasonable for NYC.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stay in a lot of hotels in NY. This one is my new favorite. The greeting when I came in was genuinely friendly, and I was actually brought to my room to be shown how everything worked. Situated across from the library, the location is excellent. I spent my evenings next door on the Bryant Park balcony. Andaz had a nightly wine reception but I never attended. The room was quite spacious and I loved the 10 foot ceilings. Not only was the wifi included in the price but so were non-alcoholic beverages from the mini bar. The price was very reasonable for NY. I stayed in the north tower facing 42nd street. There was a little traffic noise, but definitely not bad by NY standards. The only minor hassle was getting the high tech room key to work. Overall, a very pleasant stay. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Just loved it. Was there for business and looking for something close to my various meeting spots but also close to the centre of the action. At the same time, I've had my share of the big hotels that feel impersonal. Andaz fit the bill. Central location, personal yet clean and trendy. If I only had one complaint is that the rooms tend to be a bit dark. Otherwise, all good!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Faringdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was a trip to New York to celebrate my partners 40th birthday so I wanted it to be special. This was our 4th time in New york and I always research the hotels we have stayed in via this site and this one seemed to come out top.
On arriving we were instantly greeted by the hosts and offered refreshment which was very welcome as it was 90 degrees outside. We were then escorted to our room and given a guided tour of the room.
We had a king room which was spacious enough for our 5 day trip. The bed was comfy with soft fluffy simple bedding. I.e. quilt and pillows. Just like home. Room felt big with high ceiling and doors. Tall glass cabinets helped with the illusion of space.
The bathroom was amazing, Modern design with the rain shower(I want one) and we didn't have any problems with it flooding the rest of the bath room, just use the bath mat. We made full use of the complimentary refreshments water/soda in room which was fully restocked each day. No tea/coffee facility on room though. Room was very clean and fresh and well maintained during our stay.
We didn't use bar or restaurant as we were too busy visiting other places.
Massive plus was the free wireless in room which worked a treat. I even speed checked it and got 20MB so very impressed. Allowed us to FaceTime our daughter left back un the UK.
The only minor down side was the lack of storage to put clothes. There was some hanging space and a drawer next the bed but not enough. Another couple of drawers under the hanging space would have helped. Oh, also found the aircon on the noisy side but soon got used to it.
In summary we really enjoyed our stay here and when we next visit New York we will not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Achaddy,

Thank you for such a thorough review! We are glad you loved your check-in experience, the high ceilings and "fluffy simple bedding", and our complimentary minibar. We look forward to having you and your partner back again! Just let us know in advance, and we can pre-place some extra storage in your room.

Warm regards,

Connie
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I can only say positives about this hotel. I have regularly stayed in 5 sar hotels but this is a truly fantastic property. If you like a glitzy fussy type of hotel with chandlers and brass fixtures, this is not the place for you. The Andaz 5th avenue is modern, sleek, well thought out and perfectly proportioned but very understated. The design appears to be primarily functioned based but glamorous ans designed focused with it. There are small touches such as the touch control pads that control the curtains and lights etc which give it an extra special feeling.
The staff are great, they don't have separate roles like in conventional hotels the people who check you in are called 'hosts' and will collect bags, take you to your room, show you are around, answer questions and be your concerierge. Nothing is too much of a bother for them. A soft drink is even served when you are checked in whilst sitting on a sofa if you wish. Complimentary wine is served from 6-9pm every day which is a nice touch and adds atmosphere.
The fridge is stocked with soft and alcoholic drinks and all the soft drinks are free and restocked every day, especially lovely when it is 35 degrees outside! The rooms are beautifully kept as is all of the hotel property!
The location could not be better, opposite grand cental libery and steps away from Bryant Park. Not far from times square and obviously straight on to 5th avenue. Yet despite its central location I felt as if entering a small oasis from manhattan and very very safe. (there is a device in the lifts that will not allow you onto any floor with hotel rooms without a room key) and no matter what time you wander through reception there is always a friendly, enthustiatic and helpfull face welcoming you and anything you need!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have been a regular guest at the Andaz 5th Avenue since the start of 2011. I have stayed roughly 75 nights since then and always look forward to returning. The staff remember you and generally have a cheery comment to make when they are not busy with other guests. I always get exceptional service in the restaurant and look forward to my breakfasts there.

The rooms are just great! I have stayed in most of the configurations from the smaller rooms, through the small suites, the splash suites, to the two bedroomed suites. The suites are a particular delight! Plenty of room, good views that must be the envy of just about every other hotel in New York.

If I have had any issues, of any sort, while at the hotel they have been dealt with swiftly and professionally, with follow-ups to check if all is now okay.

This is a real gem of a hotel and I really can't praise the staff highly enough for the service they have provided to me during my stays.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking 5th Avenue and the Library are best for views
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Parkland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I travel to NYC regularly, usually stopping at a Hyatt or Marriott property. I haven't been truly impressed by any particular hotel, that is, not until my recent stay at the Andaz 5th Avenue. This is Hyatt with an edge, much like a "W" but with more class and less attitude. The room is hard to describe - its both minimal and elegant. The feel is more of an apartment than a hotel room. Everything is brand new and ultramodern - very state-of-the-art - touch sensor lighting and shades, modern bath fixtures, computer flat screen TV. Bed is comfortable and cozy, and the property is immaculate. The room was surprisingly quiet, considering I was in the middle of Manhatten facing 5th Avenue. Check-in was fast and efficient, and the desk clerk escorted me to my room, made sure the keys worked, and demonstrated the in-room techno-gadgets. Staff is friendly and helpful.
I will be making this my regular NYC home-away-from-home for future business trips to NY. Great property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!