“Amazing Hotel, Amazing Location” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #40 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Amazing Hotel, Amazing Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Just got home after a three night stay at the Andaz 5th Ave Hotel in New York. We had booked a King Room from May 9th through to the 12th, but when we arrived at the hotel they had upgraded us to a splash suite (room 905) as my wife had mentioned it was a surprise for my 40th Birthday. The suite was amazing and probably the best room I have ever stayed in. From the moment we arrived the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Emilio and Jo (I think that was her name). The hotel is very new and contemporary and in very good condition (I felt like we were the first people to use our room). The other great thing about this hotel is the location. Situated on 5th Ave, opposite the New York Library, Times Square, Grand Central Station, The Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building are all within 5 minutes walking distance, making it a great base to start out from. I could actually lay in bed at night and look up at the Empire State Building. How many hotels can you do that in? We only ate breakfast in the hotel once and whilst it was very, very good it isn't cheap. Ham & eggs and an orange juice and porridge and an orange juice with one serving of toast and marmalde came to over $70 with the tip. But as I said it was very good and I suppose it is to be expected of a hotel of this standard with the location it has. I could not fault this hotel in any way. They're obviously very focussed on giving their customers a 1st class service.....and they pull it off brilliantly in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for the Splash Suite (905) !!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

The hotel being right in front f the Library, it is very conveniently located for a short stay in town.
We stayed in a twin room which was massive, and our only criticism would be the lack of storage space. All the rest was brilliant!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
SF, US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We visit NYC several times a year, Andaz 5th Ave is our home away when we are in NYC. We had a corner suites with beautiful views, love the foot bath especially after a long walk all day long :)
Love the coffee bar and breakfast at The Shop was so good, make sure you order Chef Vence's specialty Lemon Poppy Seeds pancakes it is so delicious and please do say hello to chef Vence, he is a great chef.
The staff on this hotel is very friendly and yet professional, always ask if we need anything over drink and wine while waiting for room to be ready or waiting for friend to pick us.
We are looking forward to get back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sunny Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

The Andaz 5th Ave is located across the street from the NY Public Library. It's a great location. Just a few minutes walk to Times Square in one direction, Grand Central Station in another and Central Park in another!
The hotel is VERY modern in decor. If you do not like modern, you will not like it here. We had a loft King room. The view was a side street and nothing special. The ceilings were high as were the doors and windows. They made the room appear much bigger than it was. The closet is very small and the loft area consisted of a desk, a tv and 2 chairs. I would not want to sit there and watch TV as it was literally 3 feet from the chair. So really, there was no sitting area to speak of.
The mini bar was a really nice plus. There were water, tonic, sparkling water, cold tea and sodas - all complimentary, all restocked each day. On top of the mini bar were a bag of potato chips, 2 wrapped chocolates and a health bar of some sort, complimentary as well. You can opt to purchase the liquor in small bottles for $28 each.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to single travelers or couples. I say this because the bathroom is one room with no doors separating the shower or the toilet. It takes up quite a bit of space and would have been better suited with a door on the toilet area so that another person could use the sinks/shower if you were staying with family/friends and not a significant other.
The 3 hour wine service in the lobby was a very nice touch, again, complimentary. The staff is VERY accommodating, professional and friendly. They always had a smile for us.
I do not recommend the The Shop (their hotel restaurant) for breakfast. Although good (not great), 2 eggs, sausage and hash browns with coffee ran us $55 plus tip. Ouch. I highly recommend going to Juniors in Grand Central Station for a great breakfast (same as the other breakfast at $8.50 each, AND it includes coffee, tea or hot chocolate) and the best people watching ever.
Would I stay at this hotel again? Probably not, ONLY because NYC has so many hotels and I love to experience new things each time I'm in the city. I would DEFINITELY choose Andaz in another city though.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My girlfriend and I work in the airline industry and travel a lot outside of work, we stay in a lot of hotels! After staying at Andaz 5th Avenue we both agree it is one of the best hotels we have stayed at! The hotel itself is modern, spacious and very stylish. We had a loft room which was massive, it has a separate entry way and living area, bedroom was off that with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom is huge (great for two girls!) double basin vanity and a massive shower/wet room. The room had great views of the NY public library. All the lights, black out blinds and air con is controlled by a touch panel which is easy to use. We had room service breakfast one morning and it was like it came from a five star restaurant, delicious!
We used the hotel gym several times and were expecting a tiny room with a few weights and one treadmill but we were pleasantly surprised. It's very well equipped with lots of cardio equipment and a weights and Pilates area.
Finally the staff were all so lovely! It was my girlfriends 30th Birthday while we we there and when we returned to the hotel after a day of sightseeing there was a bottle of champagne chilling, some cookies, fruit and all the staff had signed a card. So unexpected and it made our stay. All the staff are very knowledgable of things to see and do and helped us book restaurants for dinner every night and a book a car to JFK. Dana was very helpful and managed to get us a last min reservation at a top NYC restaurant.
The check in & check out was all very smooth and easy, no waiting in queues.
I will definitely be staying at Andaz 5th avenue the next time I'm in NYC. Thank you for helping make our first time in New York perfect!

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I was not impressed with the service at the hotel. While the check in and check out process was quite smooth, service overall at the hotel was very poor. I had very poor experience with the hotel's room service (was told 45 mins at the time of placing the order; the food did not arrive for more than 90 mins, after which I had to cancel my order - and walk out at 11.30 pm to pick up dinner from a nearby McDonalds). I typically had to wait for more than 5 mins for someone to pick up the phone, whenever I called the operator/reception. On two ocassions no one picked up my phone at all. Finally at the time of checking in, I was asked for my newspaper request. Of the three days I was there I received a newspaper only once - that too it was the wrong newspaper (I had requested FT, received NYT on one of the days). Not too impressed with the hotel. I expect better service from an expensive business hotel - that too one which is small (and one would expect higher service standards).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Simsbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The Andaz is just the place we were looking for. Extremely professional and friendly service; just the right blend of elegance, functionality with high quality materials in the physical building and interior design……The Shop and bar both with the same degree of excellence…..The staff is great – very much present, attentive, professional and friendly, and not over-bearing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!