“Fantastic half-term break at the Andaz!” 5 of 5 stars

Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #23 of 452 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
london
“Fantastic half-term break at the Andaz!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

We arrived a little after midnight and were greeted by a lovely 'host' who offered drinks (too tired) and took us straight up to a large one bed suite. We were travelling with our 12 and 11 year old children and the host immediately spotted that this room for the disabled, did not have a bathroom door and would be unsuitable. After a short wait he took us to another suite on the 11th floor which we loved. It had a huge balcony with a huge revolving daybed on it and as the weather was (very!) hot while we were there, we spent a lot of time enjoying the balcony with a view out towards the Bryant Park Hotel. The one bed suite had a huge sofa bed in the living room which was very comfortable. And the kitchenette including a fridge freezer made preparing snacks and drinks in the room very easy. There was two large cupboards for hanging clothes and a large set of drawers and open shelving in both bedrooms for more clothes storage - plenty of space for the four of us.
We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning and there was a good range of options available, such that it never got boring! The skillet options were particularly nice! The early evening free wine offered in the library was a nice touch also, and we enjoyed a glass of chilled white after returning from the heat of the day. The other welcome relief after a day spent pounding the streets, was the foot bath - both my daughter and myself used to race each other back to the room to see who could get to it first! The location of the hotel is fabulous - plenty that you can walk to and a subway just across the street if you need to go further afield.

The only negative point is that they shut the bar at the hotel over the whole of the weekend, and although it was nice to sit in the library we would have liked to have had the option of the bar available to us!

All in all, I would recommend this hotel very highly to people - we will certainly be back!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the 11th floor have balconies
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for sharing! Glad to hear you had a great stay!

1,311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Andaz 5th Ave on our first ever trip to NYC and if we are ever fortunate enough to return in the future the Andaz would be our hotel of choice. We arrived to the Andaz exhausted from an overnight flight from San Francisco and unprepared for the cold weather we were greeted by friendly and attentive door men who immediately took our bags and similarly mannered 'reception' staff who swiftly organised coffee's for my husband and I. The room was very large and spacious which we believe is unusual for New York hotels and was beautiful appointed and very modern. The bathroom was admittedly dark but not problematically so and was stocked with great bath products. The bed was exceptionally comfortable with beautiful linens. The Andaz offers a complimentary mini bar (except alcoholic drinks) which is restocked daily. The staff were always friendly and our host organised us Knicks tickets within 30 minutes of us requesting them and they were slipped under our door later that afternoon. The Andaz is in the perfect location - walking distance to 5th Avenue shopping, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and Broadway. We truly loved our stay and have recommended it to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I stayed here from 29-31 May. I am a very frequent business travellers although I do not travel to the USA as often as I do in Asia and Europe. I am also fussy about where I stay and although I am a Platinum Hyatt Gold Passport member I will only stay at a Hyatt Property if I find something I like. My last few visits to NY were usually at the Essex House, Peninsula, etc because the Hyatt properties in NY were not up to par, eg Grand Hyatt in NY is literally too big to be conducive as a home away from home in terms of service and room quality. This was my first stay at the Andaz propery and I must say it was a great experience. The rooms and bathrooms are wonderful, service was genereally of a very high quality and beds very comfortable. The hotel may be trying to be a little too hip and I am the sort of person who stays at the Park Hyatt properties but I must admit that I liked the overall experience especially the superb location and service. Well done to the GM Jonathan and his team.

In fact I am back in NY again for a day and just checked in again and was upgraded to a suite. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Tenafly, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

A modern stylish hotel suited to business travelers and tourists alike. From the moment we walked into the hotel to the moment we walked out, I really can't think of anything that was bad about the hotel. The service was perfect throughout our stay. I have stayed at many hotels around the world, and the staff at Andaz were the most friendly and efficient I have seen to date. There is no reason to stay anywhere else in NYC.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Stayed at teh Andaz 5th Ave and will definitely return. It was our first stay at an Andaz and found the service to be over the top, the room was very unique including free mini-bar drinks and snacks (non-alcoholic) and an evening wine get together in the lobby. We cannot wait to go back!!

You won't be disappointed - It is also a National Green Council Silver Leed building.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

We recently stayed at Andaz 5th Ave over a holiday weekend and had a great experience. The staff greets you warmly as you first walk through the front door. The check in process is unique in that they allow you to sit down, while serving you fresh fruit and a drink of your choice, rather than standing at a check in counter. Overall the process was easy and quick, which was a relief after a long day of travel to get to NYC. I’ve stayed at a few hotels across the world that do this and I much prefer this to the standard check-in counter.

The interior design of the hotel is sustainable modern, with simple, clean lines, and warm wood accents. Our room was very sleek with doors and cabinets that hid the closets and refrigerator, and the hotel takes advantage of technology with finger-swipe light switches (takes getting used to), which also controlled the window shades. The room was very clean and comfortable, and the bathroom had wonderful extras like dual vanities, a rain shower and a foot bath.

The service was perfect throughout our stay, the hotel staff helped us with dinner reservations, theater tickets, taxis, subway directions, museum recommendations, and luggage storage after our checkout. Every request we had was fulfilled quickly and with a smile, which is more than most can say in NYC.

The location is very convenient, close to 5th Ave retail, Grand Central Station, subway and bus stops, and across the street from Bryant Park and the NY Public Library. There is even a mini-library inside the lobby with books supplied and recommended by the NY Public Library. We tried the restaurant once and it was good, but with so many great dining options in NYC, we could only give it 4 stars. Overall though I would highly recommend Andaz 5th Ave, the next time we visit NYC we definitely plan on staying here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

First of all, let me say that this hotel is exceptional in many ways. Terrific rooms, great location, wonderful food & beverage options, a very generous Diamond breakfast benefit.

However, I had one of my worst hotel check-ins ever here and I am posting this now, six months later, because someone from Hyatt HQ recently asked me about my best and worst Hyatt stay, and I am still resentful at how I was treated by this property. Short story: There was an issue with a confirmed suite upgrade and hotel staff did not believe me until a manager confirmed the day after check-in that an error had been made. While mistakes like this can happen (and if this hadn't been a special occasion for me where I had an expectation of a suite I would likely have been more understanding myself), the antagonistic attitude exhibited by some of the hotel staff exacerbated the situation instead of facilitating an appropriate solution. I cannot recall ever being talked to in a hotel in a similar way, especially at a Hyatt property, and it appears a few of the negative reviews here reference similar behavior.

That said, I am very pleased to see that the overwhelming number of reviews here are positive and I am sure if it hadn't been for the service issues related to my Diamond benefits (suite upgrade and late check-out) I would have had a great stay as well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
I sincerely apologize that your previous experience a few months ago was poor, and that there was a confusion with your Diamond Suite upgrade. We now have our full inventory of rooms and suites, and have since been better able to meet the demand. I hope you will contact me directly prior to planning a future trip to New York, so that we can give you a complimentary suite upgrade and ensure that your next visit is flawless! Thank you for sharing.

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!