“My worst Hyatt stay, but hopeful things have changed” 3 of 5 stars

Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #31 of 457 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“My worst Hyatt stay, but hopeful things have changed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

First of all, let me say that this hotel is exceptional in many ways. Terrific rooms, great location, wonderful food & beverage options, a very generous Diamond breakfast benefit.

However, I had one of my worst hotel check-ins ever here and I am posting this now, six months later, because someone from Hyatt HQ recently asked me about my best and worst Hyatt stay, and I am still resentful at how I was treated by this property. Short story: There was an issue with a confirmed suite upgrade and hotel staff did not believe me until a manager confirmed the day after check-in that an error had been made. While mistakes like this can happen (and if this hadn't been a special occasion for me where I had an expectation of a suite I would likely have been more understanding myself), the antagonistic attitude exhibited by some of the hotel staff exacerbated the situation instead of facilitating an appropriate solution. I cannot recall ever being talked to in a hotel in a similar way, especially at a Hyatt property, and it appears a few of the negative reviews here reference similar behavior.

That said, I am very pleased to see that the overwhelming number of reviews here are positive and I am sure if it hadn't been for the service issues related to my Diamond benefits (suite upgrade and late check-out) I would have had a great stay as well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
I sincerely apologize that your previous experience a few months ago was poor, and that there was a confusion with your Diamond Suite upgrade. We now have our full inventory of rooms and suites, and have since been better able to meet the demand. I hope you will contact me directly prior to planning a future trip to New York, so that we can give you a complimentary suite upgrade and ensure that your next visit is flawless! Thank you for sharing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

The Andaz 5th Avenue is part of Hyatt's new, hip Andaz chain, with each hotel having a different personality. Our stay here was top to bottom, fantastic.
We arrived early on a Saturday morning, after getting up at 3:30 to catch a train from D.C. We were able to get into our suite, which was nice. After the host showed us the room and wished my son a happy birthday, we went down for breakfast. It was very expensive, but it was good food and nice to have a view of the Public Library. We had room 1106, which was a loft-style suite. I can't find what room it was exactly, because it has some elements of different room types. Anyways, we had one king bed and a sofa bed. My son slept on the sofa bed, which was king sized and not slept on before as shown by the tags still on the mattress. It was as comfortable as the regular bed, not your standard sofa bed. We had a lovely kitchen area, with a full fridge with food and drinks in it, which were free and you could request more. We had 2 different huge closets, one in the bedroom area and one in the entryway. We had two gigantic TV's, one in each area. The blinds and lights are controlled by a few master switches, but it was easy to use. There was a desk and chair, which we didn't really use. The bathroom was huge and beautiful, with very nice toiletries. As it was my son's birthday, they sent him dessert. He got two, and I think that one was because we had it on the reservation, and one was from the host who checked us in. Upon departure, sad as we were to leave, it was a little bit okay because they offer a departure gift, we chose the delicious brownies. We also had a high sense of security, as you need a key to use the elevator. All in all, a great place and we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main tower.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

This is my first time writing a review on Trip Advisor & I really felt I needed to share what a great experience it was staying at the Andaz. Firstly the welcome from the staff & the process of checking is great - after a long journey it was so nice to be warmly greeted by Elaine with refreshments, taken to our room where we were shown how to use all the mod cons & info about the hotel services. The location is perfect & it was lovely that Bryant Park was so close. The restaurant & bar was great too - the food & service top notch. If we were returning to NYC we would definitely stay here again & I recommend it to you all.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Thank you for sharing your feedback, and in particular, for recognizing Elaine. We look forward to seeing you again!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

This is a wonderful hotel we were there for 6 nights.

The checkin process was a breeze. The moment you enter the hotel the staff greats you with a smile and makes sure that they get you to your room quickily.

The hotel is simple modern very clean lines and the rooms are spacious very large windows that let the light in and the windows open a great plus in NY.

The bathroom was great with a rain shower. The best part of the hotel is the staff is there to help you with anything you need during your stay.

This is a wonderful hotel and thanks again for great stay!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I've selfishly only ever used this site to help with research for picking a hotel, but because of the great service, beautiful spacious room and great location of this hotel I was compelled to write this review.
The Andaz is really beautiful - it's funky and trendy but not pretentious. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and we would stay there again no doubt. The only tips I would offer, make sure to leave a couple dollars for the maid and you'll be really taken care of. We forgot to do this at first and felt the subtle consequences. The only other piece of warning I would give, is this; because this hotel is right on 5th avenue, it does have a tendancy to get a little bit noisey in the mornings with the traffic. Nothing that couldn't be igrnored however, and it was worth it anyway for the spectacular view of the public library and 5th avenue! A great hotel in a great location - I'd recommend it for sure, and I'm farily picky about this stuff!

Room Tip: as is the case in NYC, $ talks
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

The hotel is very well located across 5th Ave. From the NY Public Library and Bryant Park. When you arrive you are greeted by "hosts", young people dressed in black, who offer you coffee, check you in...with no front desk, reminiscent of The Apple Store. They are the ones who help with luggage, hail taxis and seem to do just about everything else. Our room was ready by around 3:30, which was not bad as we checked our luggage earlier and went out.
The room was large, with a sort of pointless front room containing work desk and a couple of chairs and a mounted flat screen TV. The bedroom is nice sized and has another mounted flat screen. Nice touches....mini-bar contains free bottled water and snacks and other non-alcoholic drinks. I liked the power window blinds but some of the features were too groovy, like little power switches for lights, blinds and a/c that were very difficult to read, poor lighting in the over-sized bathroom, and very large shower with a rain shower head and useless foot washer that may have looked cool, but was difficult to operate. I would have preferred a normal shower head that was easy to turn on and off, maybe a door or curtain on the shower, better lighting on the double sinks, and maybe a smaller shower and a larger, more useful front room.
Having said all that, our 3rd floor room was quiet with nice bedding; the flat screen TV was excellent, the email check-out was cool, the hosts were very accommodating, and we loved having free gourmet coffee available in the lobby, morning and afternoon, along with the free drinks and snacks in the mini-fridge in the room. The location was excellent, a short walk to Times Square, a short ride to Penn Station and just across the street from a subway stop. So, there was a little style over substance in some ways, but all in all, I have to recommend the Andaz.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the service you received and your stay overall! As for the lighting panels and the lighting in general, we have certainly taken this feedback to heart and will be starting replacements for both soon. Thank you for staying with us!
walnut creek, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

The hotel is hard to find , located just off 5th avenue across from the NY library with a nondiscript frontage. Upon arrival, we had to go inside and find someone to help us with our luggage. Check in was in a sparse lobby. We were offered drinks and then given a lesser room, as ours wasn't ready... though it was way after check in time and we actually checked in online 5 hours before...

The Room- very modern and sparse with little storage space, mainly a small glass enclosed closet. There was no place to store our bags. All lights were on touch pad which was a nice touch, but the buttons for the toilet were outside the bathroom. The free drinks/snacks were great but were rarely replenished. They also did not do turn down even though we asked for it until we got the manager involved. The bed is very comfortable, but they do not use top sheets- we had to ask 3 times and then finally ask a manger to get one. Free wifi. Room service was on time and hot and delicious.

The Gym- Nicely appointed though no clocks... TVs on all cardio, a small yoga area. Water available and headsets and cold towels a nice touch.

Restaurant/downstairs bar- Awesome- highly recommend the bar with open air kitchen-very cool space in the basement.

Location- great- a short walk to Bryant Park and Times Square. A good run down 5th avenue to Central Park and shops. Close to Grand Central Station.

Service- overall we were dissappointed. From the room not being what we were promised, to no turn down, to not replensihing the snacks... Also, it was impossible to find anyone at the door to get us a taxi or help us with baggage leaving or coming. And having to ask multiple times for something to be fixed is not ideal. Towards the end, housekeeping was much better.

I think if they can fix these things, the place would be great for a business traveler or couple. Would not return though as there are so many other places to stay with better service!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm sorry to hear that your minibar was not replenished, and that your turndown was not completed! We are investigating what happened to make sure that this is corrected for the future.

We sincerely hope that you will try us again. Please contact me so that I can personally ensure your next room has plenty of closet space, and that you have flawless experience!!!

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!