“Perfect Experience.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perfect Experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I don't really know where to begin. My trip to New York was designed to be the trip of a lifetime. What I didn't count on was that the Nolitan would be such a cornerstone of such an amazing trip. The perfect location just on the edge of the village meant that evening strolls, morning brunches and brilliant little shops were the order of the lazy days when you felt lazy. Or the proximity to the bustling city meant that within a few blocks you were right in the heart of the noise and excitement. The staff were excellent yet barley noticeable. My room was simply amazing - I could look out to the Empire State building from my SHOWER ! Every morning I had intended to nip out and get a different breakfast, however after day one and my main man Carlos looking after me I sat in and had breakfast the in great little restaurant every day, watching the traffic drift by and enjoying the low winter sun. Then I would take a coffee up to the roof top terrace, soak in NY city, then go out for the day.
Every night was an absolute pleasure coming back to the Nolitan. Whether it was to crash out on the bed (after checking the forecast card on my pillow every night) of relax with a drink in the bar. The mood, the vibe and the general atmosphere at the Nolitan hypnotically soothes you and just puts you in a fantastic frame of mind. No wonder this place has such great reviews. Like nearly everyone who has stayed here I was reluctant to leave. What should have been the trip of a lifetime actually has become a quest.......how can I get back to NY and how can I get back to the Nolitan. BTW I still have the complimentary slippers almost 9 months on !!

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Warwickshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This hotels excels for 2 reasons; first it is perfect. It is an unfussy, modern and extremely comfortable hotel with friendly, helpful staff. If you don't like your hotels to remind you of the 1980s (or even earlier) this is the hotel for you. Secondly, it's location. This hotel is located next to a huge array of fantastic shops, bars, restaurants. Having visited midtown New York whilst we stayed, we realised that staying in lower Manhattan was definitely the better choice. There's more of a vibe and tons happening, day & night. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a bath & not all rooms have a balcony. Knowing a trip to New York would invo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer V, General Manager at The Nolitan Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Poddweller~

Thank you so much for the great feedback! we are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed for nine nights at the Nolitan in May and have nothing but good things to say about the hotel and staff.

Firstly, and importantly for us, this purpose built boutique hotel has great soundproofing between walls and floors - so, no real noise from other guests/rooms. Sure, NYC is one noisy city, and the constant outside noise does seep in through the double glazing, but that's just part of being in Manhattan. If you're bothered by horns, traffic, sirens etc, I'd say go for a room on one of the top floors without a balcony (you'll also get the views over Manhattan to the Empire State from there). We tried both rooms with, and without balconies, and although the balcony is fun, it does give you a little less room space and it's a tad noisier. Anyway, the roof terrace is a fab spot for taking in the panoramic Manhattan skyline, so no need for a balcony really.

The rooms are cleverly designed in a sleek, minimalist style with lots of concrete, white paint, muted tones and glass. The generous sized shower and separate toilet are nicely integrated into the room design. Air con is a bit noisy (a couple of other guests complained to us about that) but we only needed to use the overhead fan, so no problem for us. Overall, the staff were fabulous, and just on the right side of chatty while maintaining a high level of professionalism.

The hotel also offers a free cocktail hour between 5-7pm in the foyer which is a great way to meet other guests and chat with the friendly and helpful staff. You can also grab your drink and some snacks and head up to the roof terrace which was never busy.

The best recommendation I can give is that when we're next in Manhattan, we'll stay at the Nolitan.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the top floors for great views over Manhattan.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
David M~
Thank you for the detailed and fabulous review! We appreciate you making The Nolitan your home away from home. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel's design. With regards to the AC noise, as occupancy allows, we we are implementing a solution to each room.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back. Please feel free to contact me directly (jennifer@nolitanhotel.com) when making your future reservation.

Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Nolitan is a lovely boutique hotel. Really enjoyed the view of the Empire States Building from my room. Very friendly front desk. Lots of wonderful restaurants in close proximity! Will definitely be back

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
TravelingLizSA~

Thank you for your review! I am so pleased you enjoyed your experience and the location.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had a hard time choosing a hotel in NYC because I was afraid we would pay a lot of money for a place that didn't have enough room to be functional or was in a horrible location. I got a balcony room at Nolitan because I wanted to have a bit more space and a reasonably view in a fun part of town without breaking the bank. I definitely got that. The rooms are small but were laid out so that everything was functionally usable and the separate WC is a huge win. The balcony itself was very tiny although it had a fun view. But the real reason to get it is that those rooms are slightly larger and if we'd had a smaller room it would have been harder to move around by far. The staff at the Nolitan were very helpful and friendly. They handled normal requests and special requests in general but there were a couple of oddities in the service (the paper we asked for wasn't delivered the first couple days, the pillows that we asked for were delivered on first ask, and turn down service only happened some nights). With a bit of additional organization the staff could easily provide an outstanding experience because these were exceptions to their great service and I assume were simply oversights. The location here is fantastic - Nolita is a really fun neighborhood and I'd say it was our favorite for walking around. Our next favorites (east village and west village) were not far at all and overall I felt like we had great access to great restaurants. It will take you an average of 20 - 25 minutes to get up to the major attractions like central park, theaters, etc. But it was worth it to stay in such a fun area. Please note that this is a hotel with a modern look - if you want traditional notions of luxury you won't find them here. I'd be happy to stay at this hotel again if I get a chance to visit.

Room Tip: Note that the AC is very loud. For me if it was just on all the time that was fine but if it turned...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ChaniDoggett~
Thank you for your detailed review. I am so happy you had a great experience with us and really took advantage of the hotel's location. I do apologize that your paper was not consistently delivered and have addressed that with our Guest Relations Manager. As for the turndown service, we decided to redefine the traditional turndown service experience. While we do welcome you back to your room, on the first night, in the traditional way (chocolates, slippers and the bed linen turned town) we thought a way to really make you feel at home would be to provide complimentary wine and cheese in the evenings. We want you to feel as though this truly is your home away from home and what better way to do that than by inviting you into your living room to relax and unwind . We do however provide the traditional turndown every third night as our way of letting you know we’re thinking about you.

Again, thank you for the great review. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in the fall, we had been to every great hotel north of 40th and decided to change it up and stay in soho. What a great experience, from the moment we checked in to the wine and cheese social every afternoon. The service was amazing, decent size rooms for ny and a great atmosphere. The area was perfect foe exploring, shopping and Entertainment and it was the first time in NYC that I didn't spend uptown or midtown.

I would highly recommend

Room Tip: Get a corner room on a floor higher then 7
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Edward C~

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! From service to location, I am delighted that you had such a wonderful experience. We hope to welcome you and your wife back soon.

Fair Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

For my trip to NYC last year, I thought I'd stay in an area of the city that I had not yet ventured into. The somewhat gritty, trendy and rapidly gentrifying Lower East Side definitely qualified as such. Seeing as the Nolitan borders NoLIta/SoHo and the LES, I figured the hotel would make an excellent gateway to this section of the city. And I was right. Like most things in New York, so many things were within walking distance of the hotel. Not to mention that it's a quick walk to either the Bowery Station (J,Z trains) or the Spring Street Station (6 train) to ride the subway to all points up and down Manhattan.

The hotel itself is gorgeous from the outside. It's a fairly new hotel, and the architecture stands out in contrast to its neighbors. The hotel lobby is very simple and modern and lends itself well to the rest of exterior and to the rooms. Now the rooms are definitely cozy. For anyone that is visiting New York for the first time, a room like this would be a shock to your system. But seeing how it's New York, rooms of such small size are more common than not. Even with myself just traveling alone, it was a little of an adjustment for someone with a fairly large suitcase. That being said, the rooms are very functional, and designed well with somewhat of an industrial feel to it. The bed was very comfortable and the overall cleanliness of the room was superb. The coolest part of my room by far was the bathroom. The bathroom is very good size considering the overall size of the room. A completely glass wall separated the shower from the bed, which means you can see into the shower from the bed, and vice versa. I could definitely see how that would be a perk for couples. I made sure I chose a room with a balcony (whenever I can get one for not that much more money in the city, I go for it!), which overlooked Kenmare Street. Kenmare is a pretty busy street since it leads up to Delancey Street and the Williamsburg Bridge. Even considering that though, the room was fairly quiet and getting a sound sleep was not a problem at all.

If you do stay at the hotel, definitely head up to the rooftop to get an amazing view of the financial district and of the Williamsburg bridge. As far as eats, the sky is the limit. After all, you're right next to Little Italy and only a block away from Lombardi's Pizza! If you choose to dine in at Cantine Parisienne, in the front corner of the hotel, you will not be disappointed. Excellent quality at very reasonable prices. And if I ever needed to make a quick run to the store for snacks/toiletries, there's a Duane Reade right next to the Spring St. subway station.

Overall, I felt that this was an excellent stay. For a couple heading to the city for the weekend for a quick getaway or someone on business looking to explore the up and coming neighborhood of NoLIta, I would highly recommend this hotel. I probably wouldn't recommend it for families or for people visiting the city for the first time. There are cheaper and more attraction accessible options.

Room Tip: Get a room on the highest floor you can. The rooms are fairly quiet, but even still, the hotel is pr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Nolitan Hotel? Share your experiences!