“Excellent choice for NYC” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Summer Savings
Ranked #49 of 451 hotels in New York City
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent choice for NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at the Nolitan in August (2 couples and an infant) and we had a neighborhood balcony room and a neighborhood corner room. We really enjoyed our stay, and would not hesitate to return to this hotel next time we are in NYC.

Since we traveled with an infant, we had different requests to be made upfront (water kettle, pack and play etc.). We also had to pre-arrange other things like some flowers, gifts, etc., and we had some items from on-line shopping shipped to the hotel. This meant a lot of correspondence with the hotel, but everything was handled very well by Joy, thanks again for all the help!

We really liked the rooms, and you could tell that a lot of thought has gone into the design and layout of the rooms. Rooms in NYC are notoriously small, but the small details at the Nolitan, like the drawers under the bed, narrow desks, glass shower cubicle, floor to ceiling windows, slim furniture, and very minimalistic design, gave the rooms an airy feeling and the impression of a room larger than it actually was. Very well done indeed.

The hotel has a fresh, clean and cool ambiance, and it really felt like the design elements of the hotel was embedded in every detail, all the way to staff appearance. Staff was really friendly, relaxed and very accommodating, suggested to take the wine and cheese to the rooftop, picked up pizzas for us one evening, all in all a very "complete" experience.

The location is very good, 5-10 min. to SoHo, Chinatown, Little Italy and Subway stations. There is a 24/7 Duane Reed and a Wholefoods Market close by, and a lot of small quirky shops, cafes, bars and restaurants in the streets surrounding the hotel, very "local and cosy" feeling.

The rooftop is a great asset for this hotel and although it is probably going to be really nice when they get a bar going up there, it was nice to have the rooftop almost like your own private terrace.

As others have mentioned, Kenmare street is not a quiet street, NYC has traffic everywhere and I usually do not mind some street noise, but here we are talking about huge trucks passing by and some of them delivering goods in the early morning for some food whole seller across the street.
That said, I suspect that the main problem is the door to the small balcony, since the corner room we also had (on the same floor) was very quiet.

Once again, thanks to The Nolitan and all the staff for a wonderful stay in NYC.

Room Tip: Kenmare is noise, avoid the balcony rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

589 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Cupar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Had fantastic time staying at the nolitan hotel all the staff we spoke with were extremely friendly and helpful, in fact they couldn't do enough for you. Complimentary wine and nibbles whilst sitting on the roof garden was terrific, what a view to look at. Would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone travelling to NY.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

If I could stay at the Nolitan every time i come to NYC, I will. It has everything you could want in a hotel. The decor is minimal and modern, and many of the rooms have balconies. The rooftop is amazing and open to all of the guests. The staff is so friendly and welcoming that you almost do a double take and wonder if you actually are still in NY. They welcomed me back the last time I stayed with them like they missed me. It was really sweet. We brought our niece to NY as a graduation present.Joy, from the Nolitan, called a few days beforehand to ask if there was anything else we needed before we arrived. Its small personal touches like that which really elevate the Nolitan above many other hotels. We stayed in the Nolitan Suite, which was on the 8th floor and had a great floor to ceiling view of the Williamsburg Bridge. The room was very spacious and the couch pulled out into a sofa bed which they set up for our niece that night during turndown while we were out. They have bikes that you can rent for free from them and take a tour of the city. Its located a few blocks from the subway which will take you wherever youd like. The Lower East Side, The East Village and Soho are all right there on your door step. And at the end of the day, you get to come back to The Nolitan, which has one of the most comfortable beds I've ever encountered. I never count down the days until i can sleep on my tempurpedic at home. The bedding itself is luxurious and soft. The rooms are an average size for NYC. I would rent the suite every time i came to NYC but as I am not independently wealthy, I will stick with a cityscape balcony, which is totally affordable. All in all, theres no downside to the Nolitan,
I just wish they had a Nolitan every place I visited.

Room Tip: The Nolitan Suite was gigantic.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer V, General Manager at The Nolitan Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for returning to stay with us again; we're so happy that you had wonderful stay. We appreciate the glowing review and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
All the best,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

trust me when i tell you i never write reviews, good,bad,or ugly, don't have time. however i was moved to tell of my experience because they got it right without me asking. yes the room was very comfortable from every angle. i want the pillows the mattress the linens the lighting the hvac vents in the perfect location the faucet in the right place. i want the smell to be just right from the lobby to the elevator, to the room. i don't want to see stains anywhere on the carpet the mirror especially on the glassware or bedspread. they hit a home run with me because they did their job before i arrived not after a complaint. its your business, i should not have to tell you that. see you next time for sure when i'm in nyc. sis rita

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback; it means a lot to us. We pride ourselves on attention to detail so I was thrilled to read that we thoroughly met your expectations. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards,
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here 6/28-6/30, so I am tardy in posting my comments even though we really liked the place. Could not have asked for a more knowledgeable, thoughtful and hospitable staff and front desk.
The wine happy hours were nicely done. Hot nights and hotter days, so going up to the roof w/ a complimentary glass of wine @ about 6p.m. just hit the spot. The roof is "raw" (unimproved) but very appealing- great, perhaps spectacular views, comfortable seating w/ tables, and a great chance to meet other hotel guests...or not depending on your preference. Just a very comfortable space, without being highly designed or decorated.It is a treasure.
Our room itself was very clean-small but fine with a nice design element. We had a balcony. I loved the look but I felt unwilling to venture out on it by the height and narrowness. My companion was fine with it. The roof didn't bother me in the least but that balcony....
The room layout was a bit odd, but it seemed to make sense. In the room the toilet was on one side of the internal hall and the sink and shower on the other. Nice fixtures with good water pressure. A yoga mat reclines in the closet. I didn't use it, but it made me feel virtuous everytime I saw it. With all the tasty food available within a very short walk from the hotel, feeling virtuous was good.
We had no issues w/ the noise level. We had the a/c on, so maybe that masked it sufficiently. The halls could be a bit noisy when people were coming and going.
Location, location, location. Great, in that you can get there from here. Lots of walking adventures, Little Italy, Chinatown and Soho. Shops of all stripes, restaurants galore and the subway is convenient. One downside about the location- for some reason it is really hard to grab a cab right by the hotel.
In sum, we enjoyed our stay, thought it was a decent value for the money, has a great staff, a nice vibe and would go back. A great place to put up your feet at the end of the day and a good place to start from the next day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your gracious feedback; I appreciate it. I was very happy to learn that you had a great stay with us. With respect to the rooftop, if you enjoyed the space,this visit, just wait until next Spring, when we hope to debut the completed rooftop. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We recently stayed at the Nolitan during our first trip up to New York from Australia. It was recommended to us by friends and I'm so thrilled to confirm that their recommendation was absolutely valid. Our room and view was amazing but to be honest the highlight of the experience was our interaction with the staff. We encountered so many individuals and were left feeling truly valued during our stay. Thanks so much for making such an amazing trip even more worthwhile!!

Room Tip: High floor rooms with balconies are absolutely the way to go. Being able to open your door and see...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here for four days over January, it's a hotel that is not as fancy as some but then it does try to be. It's a modern, comfortable hotel with friendly staff.

Rooms are tight in size but neat and with all the modern stuff you look for - who stays in a room in NYC?

My only quibble is that the complimentary breakfast by non-American standards. However, diagonally across from the hotel is the 'Butcher's Daughter' which has an amazing range of breakfast options.

Was great and would easily stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Nolitan Hotel? Share your experiences!