“Kind of chilly.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Kind of chilly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed six nights here last month and while the reviews were glowing I somehow felt let down. It certainly wasn't the service, which on the whole was very good. As was the bonus coffee and pastry style breakfast and wi-fi (though during my stay I wouldn't describe it as blisteringly fast). But it was more things mentioned by other reviewers like size of the rooms (they are smaller than I expected compared to similar hotels in New York) and the front facing Kenmare Street (which is pretty noisy in the evenings as it's a funnel to Houston) and worst was the incomplete restaurant build which left a gaping hole to the lobby, which meant it was almost inhabitable and both staff and guests had to huddle around heaters most evenings enjoying the -1 degree temperatures. Why they couldn't build a temporary wall was really beyond me. Staff told me the build was meant to be completed by mid-December. Would I come back? Well my deal was excellent but when I asked for an upgrade to a corner room (which was larger), I was told this would cost me extra and they would only be a couple of days available. Strange when for almost the entire length of my stay on the seventh floor I would guess, from the lack of papers left at front doors, the place wasn't entirely full. Anyone staying for a week should feel some level of entitlement to a better room if they're going begging.

Room Tip: Either a corner room as these are larger and to the rear.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I spend 4 great nights in the Nolitan, you have everything at walk distance. Yes, it's true that the rooms are small(like most of NY hotels) but are really comfortable, I recommend booking rooms at upper floors and dont miss the incredible view at the terrace(..and carry a bottle of champagne to drink there). I WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: upper floors, and if you can($) corner view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Lovely hotel in Nolita. Perfect for those wanting to wander around soho and lower east side for shopping and restaurants. Also perfect to avoid touristy midtown NY. Really nice service and very friendly staff. The rooms are small but perfectly formed. 10 minutes cab ride from Williamsburg. Nice roof terrace with beautiful views. And they give you champagne in reception from 6 to 8 every night. What more do you need?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We've stayed at a lot of the mid-range options in Manhattan, The Roger Smith, The Mansfield, The Algonquin, The Shoreham, The Iroquois, On the Avenue etc. - so we have a good idea what your money buys you and the service you can expect, generally not much!However, I'm happy to say we highly recommend the Nolitan after a recent five night stay.

It was an excellent experience and we were very happy with the choice. I didn't make it to the modest free breakfast but we very much enjoyed the wine and snacks in the evening, generously from 6-8pm, thanks Joy! The staff were uniformly pleasant and several times gave me a cup of tea (at no charge) when asked as there was no tea in the room. I appreciate the tea and coffee in the lobby till noon.

The room was relatively small but this is typical for NY and it was better designed than most. I liked the open shower (which made the room seem larger) and the separate loo. Loved that they had Red Flower products - thankfully paraben free!

The location is wonderful, close to several subways, Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy and the LES, we loved it. Yes it's on a fairly noisy street so you'll want a room on a higher floor. This is worth paying for. We're looking forward to staying when the rooftop bar and the restaurant open I just hope it doesn't get too much more expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was my first trip to New York and after doing a bit of research I booked a room at the Nolitan. It ended up being exactly what I was looking for. There is lot to do in the neighbourhood and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. When I visit NYC again, I'm sure that I'll be staying at the Nolitan.

My only regret is that I didn't go up to their rooftop patio until my last day. It was nice to be able to lounge on one of their couches and give me feet a rest after 3 days of walking across the city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
PR USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Cozy hotel with comfortable rooms. Ours was in a corner with an outstanding view. Great location within walking distance of great eats, shops, galleries and subways. Took advantage of their available bicycles for free! Great ambiance and excellent service. Loved their daily afternoon complimentary wine and cheese. They accomodated every request we made. In short, there is no reason not to stay in this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is our first time stayed at Nolitan in New York. The wonderful experience we had during this nine days at Nolitan is unbelieable. The breakfast, afternoon wine and cheese and services are excellent. The room is comfortable that made a big different when you traveling, you feel almost like to stay at home. I am highly recomend this hotel to everyone whomever is making the vacation plan visit New York. Nolitan Hotel location is convience and easy to get every where. For sure, we will choose to stay at Nolitan again when we plan our next visit to New York. Thanks again to all the staffs for your warmest hospitality and great services.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family