“not impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 449 hotels in New York City
Louisville, Kentucky
“not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I just checked into the Nolitan. It is a new hotel and you can tell. The room is quite small with a sort of cold feeling and nothing special.

I called down to the front desk because my door wouldn't lock. I also asked if there was somewhere nearby where I could have a drink and some food that has wifi. He said Starbucks. I said no, real food and A DRINK. He said McDonald's? The lock did get fixed quickly, however.

Definitely will not stay here again. Not sure what all the other rave reviews are about. I sort of wonder if they are fake. It's a lot of fantastic reviews for a new hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
jenniferv-nolitan, General Manager at The Nolitan Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Hello Leigh~
So that I may better understand what happened, I welcome the opportunity to speak with you. I will follow up with you via e mail however, please feel free to contact me directly at 212.925.2555. I look forward to the pleasure of hearing from you or any of our fellow TripAdvisor members who might have a question about this review.

Best,
Patrik

581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Checked it on 29 July, the front office staff were fantastic, and made me feel at ease the moment I stepped in. The hotel rooms are very cool, with all space being used incredibly intelligently - all adding up to the "coolness" of the hotel. A very special mention has to be made of the staff - all of them (and I mean all of them) were fantastic, friendly and full of good advice. I would recommend this hotel to everyone I know (i've already recommended it to a couple of friends visiting NYC) without a second of doubt. The rooftop view in the morning is particularly special. I will be back in NYC in November and will definately be checking in again. To the Nolitan staff - keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

The Nolitan Hotel is a gem in NYC. Smack dab in the middle of Soho, Lower East Side,
Chinatown, and Little Italy, it couldn't have a better location. Close to subway stops and
walking distance to so much! Many terrific little eateries within steps. The rooms were
very cool with a downtown vibe, not fussy or boring. But the best part was the wonderful staff. Because it's a small hotel, you feel like you are at home with friends taking care of you.
If you want a crazy velvet rope scene, go to the Standard. But if you want to feel special
in a wonderful hotel in a more chill atmosphere, don't miss the Nolitan.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

The Nolitan is no doubt an up scale designer boutique hotel… but in an understated and low key way. It doesn’t scream at you but welcomes you with its style and thoughtful and refined touches. This is a hotel where you want your city slicker friends to meet you at so they know you are in the know.

The service is friendly from the moment you walk in. There are touches everywhere, from the apples at the checkin desk, the welcome package with discounts from local Nolita retailers, to the throwback bicycles for free guest’s use, to the a great stylish lobby and seating area to await your uptown business acquaintances or friends.

The views from our room (and I think most rooms since the hotel faces north) are incredible, full Manhattan skyline with a great unobstructed view of the Empire State Building. The rooms are a cross between industrial and minimalist chic, full of nice amenities, a yoga mat, slippers, robes, flat screen TV, etc. Room were just enough space and had turn down service. The bed was super comfortable and we had a great nights sleep. There was even free wi-fi which for some reason I had trouble getting onto so the front desk immediately came up to my room and fumbled with my laptop and made it work.

The hotel is in an excellent location within walking distance of most downtown spots. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant, Ellabess, which serves new American cuisine. The food was refreshing and seasonal for the summer. Service was attentive. Especially memorable was their version of the clam chowder, which is “deconstructed” and featured raw clams.

Our entire stay at the Nolitan was stress free. And at the end, we felt we had stayed at a hotel that will very shortly be the talk of the town among the in crowd.

Room Tip: Save one night for dinner at Ellabess.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011 via mobile

Joy the one who helps you book the rooms is excellent at her job and is more than just a person on the other line...check in was good we were early and they got us in by 2pm....then I got a text from chase that they put a 150 dollar hold on my debit card I think I should have been told at check in especially since it was a debit card....the room was awesome, really clean modern and fun. They even refreshed the room while we were out for dinner but the slamming if the door next to us by the help was unprofessional though I must note it was during the day and they did not start again til about 830am again.... The staff though were really nice and helpful but we came back to hotel for a drink and asked the bartender if he was still serving and then the night doorman came running after us and said no bar is closed and he was not nice at all no smiles no help no jokes and took care of traffic up the street better than hotel guests but the day doorman I think Felix was amazing and delightful. The only other issue now is my entire stay was credited and I have no charge so before work tomorrow I have to go to chase and find out what is going on....I would return because it was sooo clean and location and day time staff but I will book with third party like hotels.com and then give credit card for their 150 dollar hold since the billing is obviously screwy........But it was one of the nicest places in nyc

• Stayed August 2011
Westchester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

The Nolitan is a first class hotel, and as soon as you step in the door you are greeted by a warm staff that makes you feel welcome and comfortable. The service is impeccable from the bell hop to the waitstaff at the amazing ellabess restaurant. This hotel is the full package, a home away from home in a modern shell with a bed that will make you want to stay inside and sleep all day. A serene retreat in the city that never sleeps.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

From the minute we walked in the lobby we felt at home! The entire staff was friendly and made us feel comfortable. The rooms were extremely clean and the beds were very comfortable. Loved the amenities like robe and slippers. Nice complimentary Voss water. The balcony was nice to look out at the neighborhood. The entire hotel had a cool vibe. It's location in Nolita was perfect for enjoying great restaurants and sights nearby. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Nolitan Hotel? Share your experiences!