“Good, safe hostel for solo chicks” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fit Hotel

You added Fit Hotel to your Saves list
Fit Hotel
201 West 87th St, Upper West Side, New York City, NY 10024 (Formerly Jazz on Amsterdam Avenue Hostel) (Upper West Side)   |
Gold Coast, Australia
“Good, safe hostel for solo chicks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

An affordable hostel that made you feel welcome. With 24hr reception it was safe and it felt comfortable knowing it was females only. In a relatively good location (close to subway and Central Park) you are not far from anything in NY. Bedroom was noisy - being on first floor meant TV from kitchen was very loud at all hours and you could hear people coming and going all the time. Bathrooms were chaotic to get into and I often had to walk up to other floors to access them which was annoying. For the price - a great place to stay if you want to see NY on a budget.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
München
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I stayed at the Pink in the City for 3 nights during my stay in NYC. I'm a solo female traveller that's why I chose this new hostel, which is for girls only.
The hostel is west of Central Park and close to a Subway Station (the red line 1 on 86th street). There's a supermarket close to the subway station. Otherwise, there are a few stores like Banana Republic and GAP around but there's not too much going on in the neighborhood. Felt pretty safe, though.
There's alway someone at the reception and the girls working there were all very friendly and helpful.
The whole place is new so nothing is run-down or shabby.
There's a small kitchen area where you can store your food, cook, eat and hang out. Downstairs, there is a laundry room, a few computers (you have to pay to use them but there's free wi-fi in the hostel) and a cozy lounge with a couch and a TV.
The rooms were excellent! I stayed in a 6-bed dorm, the beds, sheets and everything are IKEA and brandnew, the room itself was basic, but nice, clean and fancy with its pink ceiling and door :-)
The only thing I missed was a locker or something like that to lock away valuables.
Plus, the AC made some strange noises but I'm always sleeping with earplugs when staying in dorms so it didn't really disturb me.
The bathrooms are outside the dorm rooms on the hall (which I consider a good thing as you don't wake up as soon as the first person takes a shower), they were also superclean and fancy, with glass showers and lots of mirrors.
The girls staying in the hostel were all very nice, there were lots of young travellers in their twenties, but also mothers and daughters, elderly women...a mixed and fun bunch of people :-)
Thus, this place exceeded my expectations, I felt safe and comfortable during my stay and it's the perfect place if you're a girl looking for a nice, friendly and clean place to stay in NYC!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

If you are looking for a affordable comfortable accomodation then this is a good choice. I stayed in a 6 bed share room with ensuite - but most of the people chose not to use the ensuite because it was in much worse condition than the communal bathrooms and didn't have a basin! But this bathroom was used to avoid the long queues during peak times for the communal bathrooms. There were 3 bathrooms (each included a shower and toilet) on my floor for about 6 rooms? Athough I can't say how many people were in the rooms. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean and fitted out with modern fittings. In my room there was a share luggage area but no lockers. There is wireless internet access but no public computers. There is shared kitchen area where you can buy and label your own food to use. Although this room did get crowded quickly. The staff were courteous but certainly didn't go out of there way to help you. Location is quite good, a couple of blocks walk to Central Park and 5 minutes to the closest Subway Station (but note only the Subway 2 stops here). Overall, this is not the place to stay if you want included activities, friendly and outgoing staff, internet, included breakfast, and areas to socialise. But it is the choice if you if you want a quiet, comfortable bed to sleep in after a long day sightseeing in NYC!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Surpassed my expectations of a New York hostel. A women only hostel keeps the party crowd away thus allowing for a relaxed and fairly quiet atmosphere. Hostel located in safe area 1 block from 86th St subway and between avenues with busses direct to down town. Never 5 mins from deli or Starbucks. Area for improvement would be more frequent mopping of bathrooms however they were never dirty. Suggest using showers at night to avoid ques.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I was excited to find this hotel on a hotel booking website when my friend and I were looking for a cheap option for a hotel in Manhattan for one night. We booked the "private ensuite" which the website listed as being a private room with a private bath. I searched for reviews and the main negatives I ran across were people saying the construction noise bothered them. Since we didn't plan to be there during the day, and since those were from months ago, I figured that wouldn't be a problem even if it was still going on (it wasn't).

I also searched for the hostel's own website, as it seemed like it would be good to see what their website said about the place, but couldn't find one, so I used the hotel booking site I had found. It told me I had a secure, confirmed reservation and I went happily on my way.

I was in Manhattan staying with friends for a few days before my friend from out of town would join me and we would need the room. I really planned not to check email at all since I was on vacation, but luckily had one of those urges to do so, and found that two days before our reservation, the hostel reservations manager sent an email saying they had received our reservation "request" and would not be able to honor it. No apologies or anything, just, "hey, even though you made this confirmed reservation five days ago, you can't stay here, and we thought we'd let you know now, when there is no possibility that you can find another hotel room." Awesome.

I called of course, and got the run-around from staff, who told me the reservations manager was in the shower and would call back shortly. Of course it took six hours for her to call back, and she was courteous enough but made it clear that I was to blame for the situation because you can't trust booking websites. She offered to let us stay in a spare room staff had previously stayed in, stating it was just fine and just the same as other rooms except the walls weren't painted, and she would let us stay for free. That seemed nice enough, and I accepted since we had nowhere else to go.

Interestingly enough, they contacted us the day of the reservation and said they did have a normal room after all, which was great. I asked if it was the original ensuite we booked with a private bath, and she stated that none of their rooms have private baths. I thought it was especially interesting that when I checked in, she was checking in someone in front of us, and I clearly heard her tell them they had a private bath. Also, when she showed us our room, she stated that she was glad it worked out that they had a normal room for us, as they spare staff room was kind of gross... which contradicted what she had told me previously. She also at that point apologized for the reservation mix-up, and said she was working with whoever had done it to make sure it didn't happen again, which was nice, but didn't jive with her blaming me for the mix-up the day before. By this time I was feeling like these people weren't very trustworthy, and despite the one brief apology, they also didn't seem at all sympathetic to the stress they had caused me. I wasn't terribly surprised when I realized that they over-charged me for the room!

The place is clean and a good value, if you get what you think you're getting. I hope other people don't have the experience I had with the staff but I think it's a risk to do business with this place and wanted to warn others.

One last item of interest: when we came in at about midnight or 1am the night we were there, there were cops in the lobby. No one would tell us what happened, but it didn't make me feel great about staying there!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Fit Hotel? Share your experiences!