“Excellent Walking Tour of LES (Street Art/Galleries/Graffiti)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gotham SideWalks

Gotham SideWalks
New York City, NY 11215 (Financial District)
718-938-1400
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #187 of 810 Activities in New York City
Type: Walking tours, Sightseeing Tours
New York, New York, United States
“Excellent Walking Tour of LES (Street Art/Galleries/Graffiti)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I thought I was really familiar with the LES; my grandma grew up there, I know where to get the most authentic pickles and knishes, and I've been on a few history tours in the area. As soon as we started the Gotham Sidewalks tour I realized I was going to learn a lot, and have fun at the same time.

The leader was charming and knowledgeable:
*He set up a comfortable conversation style right away and made everyone feel welcome.
*I was impressed with the obvious research he had done and the fact that he brought additional photos and books to provide context for what we were exploring.
*I also appreciated that the leader made the tour engaging - he played music a few times along the way, introduced us to owners of galleries and shops, and made connections with the participants' interests.
*He managed a group really well, the pace was comfortable for all and we had a large age range, and he found opportunities for us to get food and use restrooms.

As someone who does not know much about graffiti or street art, I left the tour surprised at how interested I became (I've watched a few documentaries since that the guide recommended) and am now planning to revisit some of the gallery spots he recommended as well with friends so I can show off.

Hartford, Connecticut
“A fascinating, informative and fun adventure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

LOWER EAST SIDE STREET / ART GALLERY HOP.
Rich Garr was an excellent guide; he provided us with historical context and content and exhibited an understanding and love for the neighborhoods we walked. He has a warm manner, engaging each of us in conversation. He has developed a great rapport with the staff/owners at the galleries we visited and they in turn were very welcoming and informative. NYC is always fascinating for the sights and people watching, and this tour opened our eyes, providing a new way to appreciate its beauty. The artists have found interesting and creative means and places for their work.

Joe Q

Brooklyn, New York, United States
“A Unique, Off the Beaten Path Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I live in New York and my parents were visiting. Since they've been to NYC dozens of times I wanted to show them something different. Rich's Lower East Side Street Art was perfect. They got to explore a part of the city they had never seen and we all got to enjoy the thrill of seeing art where we would normally just breeze by without paying attention. Rich knew the history of the neighborhood, the history of street art and graffiti as forms of expression, and discussed the evolving tensions between street and museum artwork. Even if you don't think you're a fan of street art (like my folks) you will love this tour--it will make a fan out of you! Bonus, we got to sample some pickles and hear some songs about the neighborhood.

Sioux City
“Exciting and informative guided walking tour of New York City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Our family took a vacation to New York City the summer of August 2011, and wanted to find a tour guide to teach us a little about the history of the city. Gotham Side Walks - offers many types of tour options: music, art, baseball, coney island, or poetry. We chose the music themed tour, which was set in Greenwich Village and covered the years 1960 - 1980. Rich was our guide and he was very easy to communicate with, a very knowleagable and friendly person. Everyone in our family enjoyed the experience and learned some interesting facts and tales about New York which made the trip very meaningful. Highly recommended!

Visited August 2011
Sao Paulo, SP
“Experience New York with authenticity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

The tours offered by Gotham SideWalks are exceptional. Because of the affordability, content, and quality of the tours, any local or visitor to New York should definitely book a tour with them!"