“Dissapointing - ineffective and uncaring staff” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #126 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing - ineffective and uncaring staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

First the positives. The hotel is well placed for all the down town sites. Lobby is nice and check in friendly. Now for the rest; we arrived late with tired kids. The bath was broken - called guest services and it took an hour and 4 calls before the maintenance man arrived. Bath fixed in 30 mins. On last night sat to try and use computer and found it was broken.........staff couldn’t help. Room was on the 7th floor (very noisy) - really poor nights sleep every night. Discovered on the last day it was because the window catch was broken so window didnt seal properly. Over the course of my stay I had contact with the concierge on 2 occasions. They were always busy and couldn’t be bothered to help. Didn’t seem to know about activities in NYC for kids. Concierge and guest services had no information on arrangements for breakfast - so we ate at a deli round the corner. On check out I listed my concerns about the number of things in the room which were broken (which I had reported to guest services with no effect). The staff member seemed surprised I was annoyed. Eventually I said - shouldn’t you write this down and get them fixed - she thought that was a good idea and went to find a pen. I asked to see a manager - they were busy. Very disappointing stay. Noisy rooms, staff hungry for tips but not prepared to give any sort of service. Avoid.......I’m a gold member in frequent guests program and this is my worst stay ever. High hopes - disappointed

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fredrikstad, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

The hotel is brand new with a nice appearance. However, there are several shortfalls that visitors should be aware of. I am Gold Ambassador and as such entitled to some perks. However, the hotel is incapable of providing what is normally defined as an upgrade. Worse, however is that upon arrival after a transatlantic flight my room was not ready at 4:30pm in the afternoon.
The room first allocated was so narrow that I had to walk sideways to get around. However, it was considered an upgrade because there was a view (into the next block office bldg!). We were eventually shifted to another room: a std double!
Fruit and water (which I am entitled to) was provided only when asked for! Staff was arrogant and patronizing when issues were addressed. Next time I´ll stay at another hotel chain where I am also elite level member to get what I pay for and expect.
Another surprising fact is that for a hotel this size there is very little place to "sit around". The lobby bar is always jammed and finding a seat is difficult at most times.
It is a pitty, as most of the other IC-hotels I´ve stayed at (Crown Plaza too) are excellent and provide what I am entitled to (and even more on occations). The Times Square IC efficiently influence my loyalty to this chain negatively!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Caloundra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

This new hotel is only a block from Times Square and close to resteraunts and Theatres.

The staff were courteous and the breakfast of Yoghurt and fresh berries at $9 and Toast at $4 were a cheap way to start the day. Orange juice $7 was expensive.

Further down West 44th in, 8th Street were some really good Italian eating spots. There is also a Laundromat in 8th for $4-6 you can do your wash. The hotel charges $6 to launder undershorts, you can buy new ones for less.

Still Intercontinental is a great hotel and we would recommend that if you are looking for a NEW hotel in New York, close to everything in the way of Theatre The Square it is GREAT.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

It was 3 teenagers and me (mom). We went to see American Idiot musical which was a half block away from the Intercontinental on 44th street. Perfect location to stay after the musical and a block and a half off of Broadway in Times Square. It was very convenient to be so close to everything. We ended up stopping back at the room occasionally as we explored Times Square, just because it was so close. Oh to get further off topic, we bought our tickets for American Idiot at TKTS on times Square at 50% cost.
I researched this hotel on tripavisor and most reviews were good AND they had the best price I could find on Times Square ($269). Can't remember the name of our front desk help but he was amazing! We arrived around noon and were checked in early. Immediately, we were upgraded to the next level room. I told him I had teenagers and it was their first time in NYC, so he moved us to 31st floor! We had a view of the St. James theater where the play was and the kids were so excited to look down at it. While I was checking in, a bellboy way talking to the kids telling them stories of when he played on tour with popular bands. They thought that was great. The elevators were the quickest I have ever been in. The rooms are very quiet. We never heard anyone in the hallway or other rooms. Very nice room but double beds. No queens available. Comfy beds. Nice view. Air conditioner worked well. Bathroom was tiled and spa-like with frameless glass shower. Asked for late checkout and they said if we joined their free club, we could stay until 2pm.
Things they can improve: Do they really need to charge $5 for water. m&m's or nuts? The in- room bar/snack bar is weight sensored and automatically bills you if you even play with them. The refrigerator is stuffed with things you have to pay for. If you take their things out so you can put things you brought in, you will be charged for whatever you remove.
Also, it would have been nice if there was a mirror outside of the bathroom. With the see-through shower doors and 3 teenagers, we could not come in to use the mirror in the bathroom while others were showering. Only thing we could do was take the plug-in illuminated makeup mirror outside and share it while others showered.
Other thing is the room is rather small. If someone is sitting in the desk chair (with the makeup mirror or computer...did I mention you have to pay for computer use?) you can't walk past to get to the other side of the far bed or to look out the window.
Overall, very very nice room. All new. I think they said they were open for 7 mos. Great deal, great location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights and had a great stay. We were upgraded to a higher floor at check in and had a great view from the 33rd floor. The rain shower was the highlight of the room and didn't miss a bath tub. We didn't hear any traffic noise and didn't think the room was small. We ate at the Shake Shack at the corner often and also enjoyed the bar and lounge area. We would stay here again in a heart beat!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

My daughter and I spent one night here on Tuesday, September 7th before going to the W hotel for two more nights. We wanted to stay here because it was new. I knew the room would be small at around 350 square feet but have stayed at the W at 288 square feet so fell it would be a little nicer in size. I choose to upgrade by $100.00 a night to a corner room on a high floor thinking it would feel a little larger. The room itself was very nice but oh so very tight. From the pictures we saw on the website here we were expecting a little more room. There is no way you could have more than two people in a two bedroom. There was one bench in the room for someone to place their luggage and no luggage rack for the other person. The other person has to try and place their luggage on the floor or try and move the desk chair to the one side of a bed and set it on there. Just trying to get the chair out was hard. There is only about two feet or so between the bed and the desk/tv stand. There is not even enough room to roll your luggage past the beds over to a small empty space on the floor for luggage or whatever. I had to lift and try and carry it over. Not even two people can past each other, one has to wait for the other to get by the beds. If anyone wants to use the desk and someone wants to get by that person the person using the desk would have to get up and push in the chair and move out of the way. If you have any weight issues that maybe a problem. There are a few drawers to place clothes in but for one or two nights you don't really want to empty your suitcase. Other than that they have a nice chair to sit in, kind of cramped in the corner. The bathroom is decent size with a wonderful shower, that was the best part of the room. They also have a closet to hang a few items and an ironing board but good luck trying to find a place to set it up. We used it but again it took up room that you don't really have. The tv is very large for the room size. There were some extra linens and robes in the closet. There is a safe which we did not use. The beds are decent and the linens were nice and again the place is new so they should be. The deco is also very cool and there was plenty of light. You can open a window slightly so that is nice. We heard no noise at night. The hotel is very handy to Times Square and also has the subway right out the door to take you to many places and we really liked that. There is a Shake Shack on the corner from the hotel, brand new and very good and cheap. It was crowded when we went for lunch but the line moves quickly and there are plenty of places to sit. At night we stopped and got some burgers and drinks to go and bought it up to the room. They do have a small frig under the tv which is filled with drinks and snacks to purchase. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant but did get some very good breakfast sandwiches (ham and cheese) to bring to our room down in the lobby area next to the restaurant. Since there is a coffee maker in the room we just brought the food back up. It appears the hotel has a lot of business people staying there. It is very nice but not sure I'd stay again unless I went for a suite. Check in and out was fast and easy. Everyone in the hotel seem pleasant. We moved as planned to the W the next day and to a suite. The suite over there was great and we loved having so much more room to move around. We stayed at the Marriot Marquis the last time we were in NYC and found that two bedroom larger but dated. I'd say to others to give this hotel a try. I think if you are reserving a king bedroom you probably will not be as disappointed and enjoy it. I'm guessing they have a little more room to move around.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

A wonderful hotel! The subway is right beside the hotel, not to mention The Shake Shack. The room was big and the bathroom was as big as some hotel rooms I stay in. Everything was great. The bed was VERY comfortable and hard to leave in the morning. Luckily I was on business because the price is a little steep for the everyday traveler, but if you're looking for a reason to splurge I would do it with this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental New York Times Square? Share your experiences!