“Excellent NY downtown location/ Nasty Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #126 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Al Hofuf, Saudi Arabia
“Excellent NY downtown location/ Nasty Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Generally a nice and clean hotel for short stay considering the excellent NY downtown location, with the exception of the nasty hotel’s staff only at the hotel's entrance. Upon my arrival and getting my luggage inside the hotel only (not to the room prior to check-in) the hotels’ luggage boy followed me to the reception and made all possible acts to tell me that he need a tip. Other staff are considered friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Adnan Almuslem:

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and cleanliness, however, we are terribly sorry for your experience with our bell staff. While tips are very much appreciated, they are not mandatory, and we do not accept or condone this sort of behavior. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, as we will use your comments to further train our team members so that this type of experience does not occur in the future. We hope to welcome you back soon, and provide you with a truly InterContinental experience.

Executive Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed in the Intercontinental New York hotel between 5th till 10th September. The room booked was their Studio/Corner room on the 23rd floor. The views were great, and room was as expected of a four star hotel. However, the service in the hotel was not up to the usual Intercontinental standard. Room service was always late; the breakfast at 35 USD per person was not worth it. You may find better breakfast at McDonalds, which is near by, or at the W hotel in Times Square.

I booked Chicago tickets with the Concierge and they managed to secure what they said were good seats at $150 USD each, however when I received the tickets from Box Office they were both labeled at $88 USD and I when I asked the box office why I overpaid by $124 USD? Their response that you used an agent to book tickets and this is their surcharge. The hotel front reception then told me that concierge is an independent company and they don't follow the same standard as Intercontinental. The long story short no one took responsibility for overcharging. Please avoid using the Concierge service at this hotel to book tickets just go direct as they will apply their surcharge.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay it is worth getting a corner rooms the views are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Frank A:

Thank you for your candid review. While we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the guestroom and its view of the city, we do apologize that you found our service not up to standard. We strive to provide every guest with exemplary service, and we regret that the broker fees were not fully explained to you. We do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and not only meet, but exceed your expectations.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Found this property on Priceline after we needed to check out of another hotel due to roaches.....well this was quite an upgrade! Outstanding property with a great location and reasonable parking (on NYC scale). Extremely comfortable room and terrific staff. Great gym and hotel provided us with free Internet access due to limited availability of king rooms. Would definitely go back!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 85urquattro:

Thank you for your 5-star review! While we wish we had welcomed you under better circumstances, we are delighted that we were able to make your New York stay a memorable one! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here on my recent visit to New York, and what a wonderful property to stay in. Located on 44th west st, Intercon just a walking distance to Times Square. I got a nice room on high floor, the bed was so comfortable, the room fully equipped with traveler need, from mini pc, LCD tv, Bose iPod dock, and mini bar ith alcohol. I would love to highlight the cleanliness of the bathroom. There is a lounge bar downstairs, but I didn't use it as you there heaps of restaurant around. You have to try burger joint on thr corner "shake shack" they serve brilliant burger and the line always full. The room was so quiet even though the hotel is right in the middle of the city. The convention room located on ground floor, The room was very modern, the staff are friendly and always greet you in the professional manner. The only glitch I have experienced was when I didn't get rewarded for my stay. The concierge staff clearly mentioned that I would definitely get the point, I had to contact pcr centre to discuss further. Other than that, it was a great stay, and this is Trully Intercontinental experience.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear David S:

Thank you for your rave review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our location, guestroom amenities, and service. We apologize for any miscommunication regarding your IHG Rewards points. Please reach out to us at executiveoffice@icnyts.com, should you need any additional assistance. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Very elegant hotel but without the usual fussiness of staff that comes with a hotel of this standard. I travelled to New York from Canada where we were staying with friends for a 3 day inter holiday break. Travelling with me were my sons aged 5 and 15. The Intercontinental Times Square is in an excellent location. Although I have been to New York with friends before (stayed at the Waldorf) I was concerned that I would struggle to find my way around. i needn't have worried. The location is perfect. Grand Central, The Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Central Park, The Flat Iron, The Rockefeller Plaza and 5th Avenue are in walking distance from the hotel and we did them all during our 3 night stay. Bryant Park is also nearby and my 5 year old greatly enjoyed the HBO Sunset Screening of ET in this Park. Although the hotel is near to Times Square it is far enough away to walk in another direct and get a real feeling for New York. I would recommend both the Shake Shack on the corner and also the Gourmet New York Deli just down the road. Broadway is also on your doorstep. I will always stay at this hotel when visiting New York. Staff are friendly and efficient but not in your face. The bathroom is to die for (and that is saying something as I am very fussy about cleanliness especially the bathroom and I could not detect any flaws). As I had the children I didn't access the downstairs bar but saw it in the evening and it looked very inviting and comfortable. Only negative is beware the wired mini bar. Luckily I had read Trip Adviser before I left so I was aware that if you lift an item out of the bar you and it is off the sensor for more than 10 seconds you will be charged for it whether you consume it or not. Just be aware that this also extends to the goodies on a tray that can be found on top of the dresser! Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 347 which was next door to the excellent gym at the Intercontinental.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear 2226Mel:

Thank you so much for the 5-star review! We are delighted that you and your family had a memorable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Esthetically, I loved the rooms. The shower was huge with a rainforest shower head. Once again, these "no bath" hotels forget the needs of small travelers.

Unlike the larger hotels in the area, there were no cabs. I usually stay at the Marriott where I can walk outside and never have to wait.

Due to the lack of cabs and less than optimal concierge/bell services, I walked 13 blocks in the heat with my luggage in order to make my train at Penn Station. Not the service I expect from any 4 -5 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Eugenialyn:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our rainforest shower heads, however, we are disheartened to hear that our team was unable to secure a taxi for you. Our door team strive to provide the utmost in customer service, and we are truly sorry that we fell short of our standard. We do hope that you will give us a chance to reaffirm your faith in our hotel. We look forward to being of service in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last year in November on a four night break with my wife,I had never been to New York before unlike my wife,The Hotel is close to Times Square and right in the area of Theatre Land,the room was massive with everything you need for your stay,The Hotel Staff are very friendly especially the lads on the door who find you a taxi to where ever you may want to go,I wanted to visit ground zero which we did and my wife wanted to shop on fifth avenue which we did,this is an amazing city,So good we are returning to the intercontinental Times Square in December this year as we just missed out on the lights being turned on at the Rockafella centre last year,I can see New York being one of our regular haunts as we love it so much.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Browny230867:

Thank you so much for being a loyal guest! We are so glad that you and your wife had a memorable time and that you were able to see some of the great sites of our city. We look forward to welcoming you back in December! There is nothing quite like New York City in the holiday season!

Executive Office

Been to InterContinental New York Times Square? Share your experiences!