“Nice Hotel, but be aware of luggage storage policy” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #123 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Chables, Switzerland
“Nice Hotel, but be aware of luggage storage policy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stay 4+1 night in this hotel in october. Overall a very good experience, as I had ambassador status I was upgraded both time to a high floor room, both time very quiete (I'm normally very noise sensitive). Room was very nice and well decorated. Bathroom it's just perfect with the big shower. Wifi was free due to the ambassador status. On the corner of the hotel you have the shake shack who server one of the best burger in town. Time square is just at one block

Now the two negative point for me. Check in was a bit long, the priority desk was closed, nothing unacceptable, but just a little bit annoying after a long intercontinental flight. The main problem occur when I left the hotel only for one night (going to DC and back to NYC at the same hotel) I ask the hotel if they can keep the luggages. They told me that for security issue (close to time square) they can't store luggage's (I will not discuss security rules, but what is the difference if I keep the room and store them inside?), and they have only a external solution (Schwarz Storage) near Penn Station open from 8 to 11 pm. I ask the concierge if they have another solution as my train was at 7am so before the opening hours, but they told me it's the only way, and I should bring the luggage the evening before. It's the first time I use concierge service, and I was expecting something else for this hotel standard (but maybe I have to high expectation). Well, I follow the advice and bring the luggage to the Schwarz location at 10pm the night before. I'm use to the european standard on luggage storage, and I was very surprise when I arrive to the location, a very strange place, dark, looks like a appartement and not like a storage room. They seems to do the pricing base on the face, and they charge me 3 days (actually it was only 48hours) because they does not count the hours but by day. I will NEVER store a expensive luggage their, and I do not understand why a hotel like IC recommend this solution, it's really not at the hotel standard, even backpacker will avoid this place.

I encourage the hotel manager to visit the Schwarz place and realize why the need definitely to find a better solution (I'm sure they often face this luggage storage request) and not sending customer their. Maybe share a storage room with the Barclay.

Room Tip: Be aware of security rules preventing the hotel to store your luggage, and that the hotel does not h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear ZebulOn:

Thank you for being an InterContinental Ambassador and for posting your review! I am delighted that you found our location an ambiance to be enjoyable. I do apologize that you encountered some challenges with luggage storage. It is for our guests' safety and security that we are not permitted to store unattended bags overnight. We do greatly appreciate your feedback regarding our third-party vendors. We will share this information with our colleagues and our vendor so that we can continue to improve service for future guests. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Petoskey, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We were booked at the Intercontinental Times Square through our cruise line for a pre-cruise stay. We were given a handicapped accessible room, though neither of us are disabled. It had this weird closet configuration which had the rod for hanging clothes only 36" off the floor, which meant our hanging bag drooped on the floor. The room location was awful...third floor, overlooking an intersection. It also had two queens, rather than a king. Others on our trip thought their rooms were spectacular - high floor, nice view of the Hudson, for example. So, I guess we just got a bad room.

Bar area is okay, though noisy, and the restaurant is adjacent to this noisy bar area. We only had a drink at the bar and dined elsewhere. The buffet breakfast, included with our pre-cruise package, was average at best and we had to hunt for someone to bring us coffee. We also were told there were no New York Times left (it was only 9:00 am) and they directed us to a convenience store blocks away, who were also sold out. When we returned to the hotel, another employee said there were NY Times available and he delivered one to our room. We gave him a huge tip.

I have stayed at the Westin, which is about a block away and it's much nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Dre51:

Thank you for taking time to post a review. I would like to extend my apologies that your recent stay was not up to our typical excellent standards. We do hope that you will give us another chance to show you the impeccable service we are known for. I welcome you to contact me directly so that I can ensure your next stay is flawless.

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We flew via New York to a family wedding near Toronto, and stayed at the Intercontinental on Times Square for one night so that we could spend a day in New York on our way back home to London.

We had booked two rooms, one for my husband and myself and one for our 19 year old son. Both my husband and our son are Intercontinental Ambassador members. The hotel simply could not cope with the fact that there were two male family members with the same last name booked into the hotel and that both were ambassador members, so our son got the promised perks and we did not - despite the fact we reminded the staff and asked for them three times. They even put our son's name on our bill when we left (we had two separate bills). Admittedly I travel a lot and have very high standards, it's the little details that make a stay wonderful or irritating. The service here just isn't up to par. Rooms are nice but not outstanding. The internet is not very good either, and that is very important to me. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear 21stcenturyhousewife:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I would like to make a heartfelt apology that your stay was not up to your expectations. Our team works very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. I will not attempt to excuse the occurances that happened during your stay, but I do sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to reaffirm your faith in the InterContinental New York. I welcome you to contact me directly so that I can ensure your next stay is flawless. I greatly appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for your family's loyalty to the InterContinental Hotel Group.

Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a clean and well located hotel. The rooms are spacious and the decor is quite modern.
No free wi-fi internet is a bummer when you are paying top price for a hotel room. The $15 a day room internet was slow, and I do not recommend anyone getting it unless you really cannot
wait to check your email at a neighborhood cafe. The bar & restaurant in the lobby is really nice and the food quite good. Overall this was a good experience -the location is what it's the best about this hotel, very close to theaters and shopping at Times Square.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear FrozenSun:

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental New York Times Square and for posting your review! We are delighted that you enjoyed our location, ambiance, and cuisine. I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding wifi, and these will be addressed at our next quality meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Paget Parish, Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental for 1 night, coming from another hotel in NY. We got the hotel on priceline. For a cheaper price we didn't complain about the room, but if you're paying full price make sure to ask for a room closer to the elevator. We were the last room on the 7th floor and it was quite a walk to the elevator!
Rooms are the "normal" NY size room, not huge, but okay. We had a room with 2 double beds. Bathrooms are new and beautiful. Very modern. Rooms had a computer and a good size TV. A great coffee maker too. Nice amenities like a sewing kit that it's hard to see these days!! Staff were good. Location is great, really close to Broadway shows and Times Square.
If you're looking for a 4 star NY hotel in Times Square and don't want to pay $400+ this may be the one for you. We got it for $250 and room compares to other great hotels in Times Square! Only downside was that beds were not as comfortable! Too soft for me...

Room Tip: High floor, close to the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Pinksailor:

Thank you for the great posting! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed all of our amenities, ambiance, and services during your recent stay. Our Keurig coffee-makers provide a much-needed boost to start your busy day in Manhattan! I’m sorry to hear that the bed was a bit too soft for you. We hope that you will return to see us soon- we have some great offers available for early 2013!

Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Very nice property centrally located at the corner of W 44th Street and 8th Avenue just a block from Times Square and a number of theaters, shops and restaurants. Received an instant upgrade upon check-in to a corner SkyView room on the 31st floor thanks to being an Ambassador member. The room featured a very comfortable deluxe king bed, floor to ceiling windows offering superb views of the city on dual windows along with a very nice bathroom. The room however wasn't as large as I was expecting compared to other InterContinental hotel properties that I've stayed at. The restaurant on site "Ca Va" was very nice. The food was outstanding along with the service. Will not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: For the best views, ask for a deluxe corner room above floor 20. Hotel has 36 stories and 6 elevato...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear EWtraveler:

Thank you for being an InterContinental Ambassador member, and for taking time to post about your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Membership does have its privileges, and I am glad that you enjoyed your upgrade and other perks. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I should stipulate that this hotel is out of my normal budget, for both personal and business travel. I stayed on a Friday night after business meetings, using a free night voucher that I had from IHG. (Sign up for their great credit card, which gives you platinum status and a free night each year.) My room would have cost around $540 including tax, if I had paid for it.

The room was decently sized, not large but just right -- unlike closet-sized rooms I have had in NYC in the past. The bathroom was very large and included a huge shower stall with a rainfall shower. All the furnishings were very high-end and tastefully designed. It was just what I would expect at this price point. I also enjoyed great soundproofing to go with the fantastic view toward the Hudson River. I slept like a baby.

The hotel's location is just far enough from Times Square to be out of the chaos there, but close enough to get to Times Square or anywhere else in town quickly. There is a subway station right next door to the hotel's entrance (A-C-E lines for north-south travel). 46th street "restaurant row" is a short walk away.

I invited some friends to meet me in the lobby lounge, We sat near the fireplace and enjoyed a bottle of wine before going elsewhere to dinner. And of course we had to visit Times Square late in the evening. I have to tip my hat to Mayor Bloomberg. His recent land-grab in Times Square, which drastically reduced the number of available lanes for vehicles, has created a vast pedestrian plaza where taxis used to roll. I have been to Times Square many times, usually at night, and the sidewalks were always so crammed that I could barely move -- much less enjoy the view. Now there is space for thousands of people to mingle in a low-stress way. And most of the billboards are now enormous HD displays. Very impressive.

In the morning, I checked out and hit the town with my friends before departing for an evening flight. The bell staff kept my bag in their secured storage room. I found all the staff to be friendly and efficient.

I would happily return here if I had a very generous expense account!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear AndyAtl:

Thank you for the great review! While NYC hotel rooms are notoriously on the “cozy” side, our smallest guestrooms average 340 square feet. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our ambiance of understated luxury. Thank you for your comments regarding our bell staff, I will be sure to let them know that you enjoyed their service. We hope to see you again soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to InterContinental New York Times Square? Share your experiences!