“Elegance, Style, Location-What more can you ask for in a NYC hotel?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

You added The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #41 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC
“Elegance, Style, Location-What more can you ask for in a NYC hotel?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Pro's

When we arrived on Friday, our room was not ready so they checked our luggage. By 3:30 we had not heard anything so we called and were told our room was ready. When we returned we were greeted by name and they said "we would like to upgrade you to a suite, but we see in our notes that you would like the front of the building and we do not have any available there, would you still be interested in a suite?" Mind? Not at all!!! The queen suite had two rooms and two bathrooms which made our trip even more enjoyable. The rooms are exquisite. If they moved, I would feel like I was on the Orient Express in the most expensive pullman car. A throw back to a more elegant and gracious time and filled with almost every modern technology imaginable. The hotel is particularly proud of the bathrooms and I won't ruin the surprises, but, let's just say dramatic and efficient . You have read about the staff and it is all true. Genuinely interested in your day, your preferences, and in making it the most pleasurable stay. While we did not require the services of the butler, he was always available and it was always a pleasure to speak with him.

The Lamb's club- We ate there on Friday before the theatre and took advantage of the 49$ for a 3 course pre-fixe. Food was very good-excellent and enough variety and choices.

Breakfast- We ate in the bar/mezzanine dining room both mornings as it was included in our package. On both Saturday and Sunday starting at 11 am they had live music. A Bossa Nova band on Saturday and a Jazz band on Sunday. What a treat!! Young and talented musicians played at just the right sound level to enjoy but not to interfere with conversation. We will definitely return.

The bar at night-- The bar mezzanine
We don't usually frequent the hotel bars, but this one was too good to pass up. How dramatic it looked at night! After the theatre when we stopped to have a drink and snacks. (lamb meatballs and fried risotto were perfect ) The only thing that would have been better would have been one of the bands there for listening/dancing.

The Con's- Perhaps the only negative is some of the restaurant service. Should be sharper. In the Lambs club we were shown to our table in a half empty dining room at 6 pm that faced the rest room door. When I asked for another table , the young hostess asked us to wait a moment and would see if she could make a change. She did, she then offered us the table in the corner right next to the door that opened to the restroom. Really??? I finally pointed at several empty tables in the middle of the room and she acquiesced . The young lady who removes the dirty dishes tried to take our food away before we were finished(yes, I do want those last few sips of the champagne I ordered). She did the same thing at breakfast. We had to rescue our plates from her on several occasions. Just ask and we will tell you if we are finished. Yet, even these are small annoyances . The restaurant staff while not always efficient or experienced, was always pleasant.

Will we return to the hotel? Absolutely!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Axel_Fischer, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you once again for joining us at The Chatwal and for recounting your experience in such vivid detail. While also being vital to our continued improvement, it is always a treat to hear of our gusts' memorable New York visits. We hope that yours was made even more unforgettable by your accommodations -- it was our pleasure to upgrade you! -- and all the amenities of a Chatwal suite. We strive to transport each guest back to the glamorous golden age of travel, and your description of your room perfectly captures this sentiment. Furthermore, it is wonderful to learn that you enjoyed the prix fixe menu at The Lambs Club, as well as breakfast and the accompanying entertainment. And we are proud to have changed your perception of the hotel bar -- The Lambs Club is a destination in itself! Your comments on the restaurant service will certainly be taken to heart, and we look forward to seeing you again for what is sure to be an even more iconic New York experience.

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Iowa Park, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This hotel was a very nice surprise. Loved the customer service, anything we needed they were on top of it. They were always smiling and happy to help. Bathroom was very nice with the awesome heated toilet seat and the pillows on bed were very nice. Bed was just a little hard for me but I slept fine. The bar was very quaint and lovely. Perfect location to Time Square, Morning Shows, Broadway shows and shopping. Will be back. Thanks so much for such a pleasurable stay and a special Thanks to the "butler" aka owner..... for the drinks.

Room Tip: There are only 10 floors in this hotel so we picked a higher floor and it was very quiet.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We are regular visitors to New York and have to confess to being generally underwhelmed by the service in even the 'best' hotels. The Chatwal was a refreshing change as the service was excellent from the date of our arrival until the moment we left. Whilst we didn't make use of many of the services the hotel has to offer, the reception, concierge, doorman and bar staff were all attentive, efficient and cheerful.

The hotel itself has a modern 'art deco' feel and, upon entry, provides a calm contrast to the hustle of Times Square outside. The rooms feel luxurious and are well equipped (note in particular the heated toilet seats!) although a little small when compared to other hotels we have used in Manhattan. On the negative side, the breakfast was uninspiring (there are much better options nearby) and the complete lack of a view from our rooms on the third floor somehow detracted from the feel of being in New York where having a good view of the skyline always seems like an important part of any visit.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Axel_Fischer, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Ian E,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Chatwal. It was our pleasure to provide a "refreshing change" to the typical New York City hospitality experience. Friendly, professional service has long been a hallmark of our hotel, and you can expect the same check-in-to-checkout care and attention each time you return.

Next time you find yourself in the area seeking respite from the hustle and bustle of Times Square, we hope you'll think of The Chatwal. We would love to provide accommodations better suited to your preferences next time, and will be happy to work with you prior to your next stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I frequent Broadway and try to make mini vacations out of our visit. We recently spent 2 nights at The Chatwa,based on reviews found on TripAdvisor. the surprises began when we arrived at the very unassuming front door. We were met with a smile, and the smiles continued for the 2 nights we were there. Service was impeccable the entire visit. My only suggestion I would have is to make the beds softer. Many hotels now offer beds with pillow tops and the mattress at The Chatwal was quite hard. The bathrooms were small but very well appointed. the hotel's location in the middle of the block might make getting a taxi somewhat difficult. All in all a very satisfying visit and yes, we will be back.

Room Tip: we selected a room with a terrace. the room was right next to the elevator but was still quite quie...
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We felt so special when we were told at check in that the Director of sales would like to welcome us we knew we had made right decision to stay at the Chatwal on our way home. We had stayed at one of SPG properties in New York on our arrival to New York 3 weeks prior.
The rooms are tiny but there is every amenity available and you will completely forget you are in Time Square as it so quiet.
What a exquisite experience accept 2 things that was not satisfactory was our very overpriced transfer from airport which we completely squashed and our luggage could not fit in so we sat on each other. Another thing was we waited for over 30 minutes to speak to the concierge as he was occupied with other guests. He was well aware we were waiting for him but he made us feel we less worth so he tried to get into all small talk with them. We eventually left and used our discretion. He seen us leaving but made no attempt to even apologise that he will get back to us. A very bad taste was left after that.
Bedsides that the staff are outstanding and the hotel and you will feel completely pampered.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Farhana H,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your stay at The Chatwal. It sounds as though you enjoyed much of what makes our hotel special, including our convenient Midtown location, signature sophistication, and exceptional service. We regret, however, that the feeling of being pampered and concierge experiences do not reflect our typical high standards, and we are confident both will be address prior to your next stay. If there is anything else we do in anticipation of a return visit, please feel free to contact us directly.

Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed for 3 nites two weekends ago, and just stayed overnight this past Saturday.

I can't say enough what a wonderful hotel this is. Boutique, "retro" ambience befitting its location in Time Square. The moment you step in, everyone, I mean every staff member greets you, smiles at you, and will do everything to help you.

I wanted 11 o'clock AM check in and get into a room right away. Done.

I wanted four tickets to Book of Mormons on the day of check-in. Done (Concierge rocks !) This play is nearly impossible to get good tickets for. Concierge (Juan rocks !!) got me four tickets at printed ticket prices ($260) and saved me $400 per ticket handling fee. We sat 5 rows from the stage, center row. I had not been able to get Book of Mormon tickets the previous 5 visits to NY staying at other luxury hotels.

Two weekends ago, I wanted 3 tickets to Lion King on the day after check-in. Concierge told me that "Right now, this morning, I know for fact that there are great seats still available for tomorrow afternoon's show." He told me that instead of buying through outlet hadlers or via internet, just walk over to the box office "right now" and buy them at the printed ticket price. I did, and he was right, and I got the tickets for great seats without any added fees. They aim to please, and they did.

When leaving, I wanted to check out, store my luggage, go out for shopping, then have the Valet bring out my SUV, and have the bell captain load the car with my luggage, waiting for me as I returned from shopping, so I could just hop in the car and leave without having to wait, wait, wait, etc. (Like most luxury hotels). Done. The bell captain (Michael) rocks !! He did exactly as I had requested over the phone, working with the front desk to time my arrival from shopping.

The Mezzanine floor Bar is wonderful. Great martinis and staff who treat you like a movie star in the 1950's.

Attention to details is excellent. I stayed in Junior Suites, and those are good accommodations with wonderful refurbished rooms. Everything works as they're supposed to.

The Chatwal in terms of their attention to detail to physical appearance and their staff attention to our needs -- far exceeds the other luxury brands in the city.

You know what I also liked about this hotel is that although the staff, the hotel, and the ambience is highly upscale, I felt perfectly comfortable walking around in my blue jeans and just a black t-shirt, "street-casual." Very low-key and yet impeccably tasteful, respectful, and attentive to my needs as a guest.

If you want a Fifth-Ave or a Time-Square New York Stay, this is the place. Once you walk through the front door into the lobby, it's so, so quiet that you'd not know that you're 50 yards from Time Square. Sitting in the bar upstairs, you'd think that you're in the Upper East near the Central Park. It is indeed "an oasis of sanity" and peace in a crazy Time Square neighborhood.

Room Tip: Get a Junior Suite if you want a couples getaway weekend.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Axel_Fischer, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear JustsayingJoe,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experiences at The Chatwal. We are so delighted that you had an opportunity to stay twice in two weeks, and it was our pleasure to assist with Broadway tickets. We hope you enjoyed both shows.

Just as our decor recalls a bygone era, so too does our service. You can expect the same movie-star treatment with each return visit. If there is anything special we can do to make your next stay even better, just let us know. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to our peaceful oasis in the heart of Midtown.

Longmeadow, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We've just stayed at the Chatwal for the second time and once again had a wonderful experience! The boutique hotel looks un-assuming from the exterior, but don't let this fool you. You'll be greeted by the bellman who will remember you by name. You'll then walk up the stairs to a fabulously renovated hotel lobby, lounge, restaurant and bar, refurbished beautifully in Art Deco style. Sleek styling punctuated by just the right amount of bling are the order of the day. The staff are extraordinarily helpful. The bar in the mezzanine is inviting w/ great drinks and appetizers. They host a Saturday and Sunday brunch w/ live music ensembles. The room interiors are beautifully decorated in Art Deco style. There is great attention to detail in the design elements. And the bathrooms are fabulous. From the sparkling floors to the TV in the mirror to the heated toilet seats... it just makes getting up in the morning all that much easier... The hotel has spent a great deal of effort to ensure the hotel is safe, quiet and welcoming. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are larger and open. Our favorite.
Dear Mellie007,

Thank you for your review. We are thankful to have had the opportunity to welcome you back for a second time, and it's great to know you had a "wonderful experience." We always love to see a familiar face, and you can expect the same warm greeting from our staff with each return stay.

Your kind words about decor and ambiance are much appreciated. Next time you need an escape to a more glamorous time and place, we hope you'll think of The Chatwal. Until then, please let us know if there is anything we can do to be of service.

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

Been to The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!