“Where "At Your Service" Does Begin at the Curb!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

You added The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #41 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
West Kingston, RI
“Where "At Your Service" Does Begin at the Curb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Reading reviews of Starwoods Luxury Hotels is always a challenge for me when I travel. I love the hotels, but they are mostly expensive because they are historic hotels in major metropolitan areas around the world. As a business woman, mom and grandmother who has flown more than 4 million miles teaching, I always try to spend my downtime dollars well. When I booked a night at the Chatwal last week it was at the end of a business meeting when my husband could join me to belatedly celebrate his 73rd birthday. The reviews ranged from perfect to problematic. Because I am a Lifetime Starwoods Platinum Member, I always receive great service at SPG hotels. This time the great service started even before I entered the hotel, before they even knew "my status," which is the reason for this review. It shouldn't matter who you are and how often you stay, although those of use who've slept over 700 nights in hotels expect some extras. I exited my cab, exhausted, and left my expensive leather satchel with my passport, iPad and other valuables in the back seat--totally my fault!. I realized it when the doorman welcomed my husband and me to the hotel. Johan, a valet, immediately raced at top speed a long block down the street where the cab was waiting at a red light and retrieved it. Bystanders along the street clapped as he raced back and delivered it to me.

So here's the point about the Chatwal for other world travelers. This is a boutique hotel that has a great staff, luxury amenities and an outstanding restaurant, The Lamb's Club, where we dined that night. John, our head waiter, served a truly memorable meal and I, like many travelers who eat abroad and in great US restaurants, am choosey!

In my opinion, the hotel's marketing challenge is the number of rooms and their size. I booked a junior suite. The hotel was booked full, so no upgrade, although I asked. My room was expensive, of course. (It is New York City and in walking distance of Broadway.) For frequent business travelers accustomed to booking large rooms in modern luxury hotels around the world, the comfort is here, ensuite bathrooms are the best, but the size of the room may be smaller, from another century actually, when renowned architect Stanford White designed the structure. When you choose this hotel, choose it for the staff, the restaurant, and the location. I needed a spa treatment, but had no time. The luxurious Red Door Spa is highly touted by my colleagues and fellow travelers. Next time!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Axel_Fischer, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Thinkalot,

Thank you for sharing such a thoughtful review of your recent stay at The Chatwal. We take great pride in making each and every guest feel special, and it's wonderful to know you received exceptional service from the moment you arrived. We will be sure to pass along compliments to Johan, John, and the rest of our staff.

As a Platinum Member and frequent traveler, you can always expect to be treated to the very best at a Luxury Collection Hotel. We look forward to serving you again next time you're in New York. Until then, please let us know if there is anything we can do, such as planning a relaxing visit to the spa.

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at the Chatwal NY for a week with my 12 year old son. We've just returned home today. The experience has been excellent. A superb location, spacious and clean room, fine swimming pool and a modern gym. By the size of it, its art deco style is very appropriate, they take care of every detail and all staff are exquisite and friendful (thanks Michael!). Absolutely recommended for anyone looking for "something more" in a hotel and do not like the huge, impersonal hotels NY.

• Stayed June 2014
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The staff is incredible. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left. The staff is well trained, seasoned, and accommodating. The beds are a bit hard, the rooms a bit to small for the 5 star rating (even though it is however, NYC) Superior service, make this hotel what it is. The senior butler was professional, Michael the bell man very polite and thorough. Front desk very helpful. Can't say enough about the device.

Room Tip: Face 44th street and above the 6th floor.
Dear rbtvwestfall,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Chatwal. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed superior service throughout your time with us. You can expect to receive the same friendly, accommodating service with each return visit. We are confident that a true five-star experience awaits you in our hotel, and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The Chatwal provides well appointed rooms, with numerous amenities, between 6th and 7th Avenues and close to the diamond shopping district and Times Square. The beds are comfortable and rooms quiet, unique for New York. The hotel is a member of the Starwood program. They have a Red Door spa and provide a range of quality services there. They also have an exercise room and a small pool. Missing is a business centre but the concierge will print docuemnts for you and the hotel will loan you a laptop to use with the wifi in the lobby.

Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Great SPG Hotel with a boutique feel. The staff is very polite and helpful and checking in is surprisingly easy even though it is in the heart of mid-town. Nice gym and the steam shower is perfect after a workout. The rooms are modern and beautiful. The bathroom is 5 Star. To boot the managers really care about ensuring your stay is nothing short of perfect !

Room Tip: Book early as this Hotel is in high demand due to its location and books up quickly - this way you c...
Dear Nick S,

We appreciate you taking the time to share a few thoughts. It is wonderful to know you enjoyed a comfortable, relaxing stay from check-in to checkout. Like all Starwood hotels and resorts, we take great pride in providing exceptional service and look forward to serving you again soon. Thanks again, and take care.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've stayed at many hotels in NYC, and this is one of the best. The room was the quietest I have ever stayed in in Midtown. In fact, we pleasantly ended up sleeping well past when we intended due to the comfort and quietness of the room. The rooms are well appointed with electronic room controls for the drapes, lights, etc. Bathroom is large with a nice rain shower and fancy Toto toilet seat.

The service from the staff is also great. They all went out of their way to help us.

I would definitely go out of my way to stay there again.

Centerville, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Chatwal is the classiest hotel I have stayed in in New York. The location was around the corner from Times Square and the subway was close. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was incredible. I loved the shower and the heated toilet seat was great. Even though we were steps from the chaos of Times Square, our room was extremely quiet. The service was topnotch each and every time we encountered an employee. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!