“From outstanding to terrible in the course of a year!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

You added The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #42 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Orange County, CA
“From outstanding to terrible in the course of a year!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Well, this is a review I never thought I would have to write! If you read my original review, you'll see that I loved this place...so much that I've been back several times. I noticed a small decline in service over the subsequent stays but my last stay in December was so bad, we ended up checking out early and going to another hotel. The front desk staff, valet staff and the head concierge were all lovely as usual and working really hard....a serious feat in light of how horrible the man who identified himself as the manager was. We are Starwood Platinum and booked a regular room. We also put in for the suite rewards upgrade and identified the fact that we would need cribs for our 2 little ones in advance. We weren't upgraded and were told upon arrival that our room was too small for two cribs to be placed in. We asked for an upgrade and were told there were none. We looked online and it indicated that a junior suite was available at the hotel so we asked to speak to the manager. A man named George called us back and told us that there were no upgrades unless we paid for them. We inquired about the suite rewards and the junior suite we saw online. He indicated that it was only available if we paid for it. We called Starwood customer service and they contacted him directly. He indicated that now it was no longer available. They sent up a supervisor to figure out how to put a 2nd crib in our room. She was very rough and rude and spoke to me like this "well, just to let you know, you shouldn't have 2 cribs in this room and blah blah blah". We ended up leaving after the 1st night and going to a much nicer hotel....but not before having to witness a a manager of the hotel berating a very helpful member of the valet staff right in front of the hotel on the street. The management clearly does not know how to provide customer service or treat the type of people who stay at their hotel and are willing to pay $700+ a night for a regular hotel room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear BruinGirl21478,
Thank you so much for your review.
We very much appreciate your kind words in regards to many of our team members I was disappointed to hear that we were unable to accommodate you and your family comfortably.
While there are some safety concerns that we must consider when placing additional furniture in a room this should have been resolved, especially since this request was submitted pre-arrival.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the way we handled your request for suitable accommodations.
We are disheartened especially given your kind review about and earlier, much more enjoyable visit.
With this in mind I hope that we will be able to welcome you back. We will make every effort to redeem ourselves. I have reached out to you personally and look forward to hearing back from you.
With best regards

AXEL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
katonah, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This rating is the average of two people's opinions of this hotel. First of all, I prefer not to stay in Times Square but if that is what you want, this is a good option. The hotel is fairly small but the design is appealing. The front door and desk staff were very pleasant and interested in making us comfortable. We were upgraded to a suite because of our platinum status which is part of the problem. The suite we were given was a little unusual with two very separate spaces that did not flow together. My husband found the living space very claustrophobic and not comfortable. He also did not like the bed. For me, they had me at two full baths which is nirvana. The bathrooms were very interesting with very advanced toilets that had heated seats among other things. I found the bedroom comfortable but small. My husband did not like the fact that our view was of the building across the street but I feel that it's better than flashing neon lights.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Pepper99,
Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent stay at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel. We pride ourselves on our high level of service and will pass on your compliments to the doorman and desk staff. Our one bedroom suites offer 2 full bathrooms which many of our guests especially appreciate and we have a variety of room configurations to accommodate all requests.
Before your next visit please feel free to reach out to us directly at executiveoffice@thechatwalny.com. We would be more than happy to help find the accommodation you are looking for.
The Chatwal Management Team
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I am a SPG Platinum member and this was my first time staying at the Chatwal. At check in, I was upgraded to a Jr Suite. The hotel was amazing and the service was top notch. The room was very spacious and met all of my expectations. The bathrooms were spectacular from the TV in the mirror, the great water pressure from the rain shower, and the heated toilet seats. I really appreciated the Butler service who ironed my shirt and leaving my shoes out overnight to be polished.

The Chatwal is a great property and an amazing stay. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Bmccarth2,

On behalf of the entire team here at The Chatwal thank you for taking the time to
share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We take great pride in the high level of personal service and Butler Service for our guests. Thank you for the compliments on the in room amenities and we are delighted to know that we met your expectations.

Chatwal Management
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here from December 28-30. Not NEARLY enough time for me to really acquaint myself with the hotel but let me tell you what I did experience.
The hotel is on 44th St. between 8 and 9th. And, right before a holiday (New Years Eve) in New York....YOU ARE SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MADNESS.
We drove up to the hotel and no one was outside to take our car. I saw him put bags in the car in front of us and then leave. I had to go inside and have the receptionist get the doorman. That was okay...it was busy and he probably was the only guy there. I liked what I saw when I walked in but more on this later.
Once the doorman took our car, our bags were given directly to the bellman, and our attention was drawn to the receptionist who apologized for our waiting outside. Ahhhhhh. Here we go. Our check in was smooth and she told us all about the concierge, the bar and restaurant, with a lovely smile. The décor of the lobby (art deco) is very sleek and created a feeling of civilization from the craziness of the New Yorkers and the travelers outside.
We booked a Junior Suite but were told we had an "Upgrade"? I don't think so....we were to have a view of 44th St. However, We were immediately whisked to our room on the 9th Floor, room 901 and 902, and the view was a horrid view of buildings and pigeons. Just terrible. But, what I assume happened was that they gave us a grand deluxe (a step down from what we booked) and gave us an adjoining guest room, to make it a bit bigger. Reaching, Chatwal.
The bathrooms were very cool but realized...there was not much room to put your toiletries. The beds were comfortable and the rooms very clean. The bathroom showers and heated toilet seats are awesome! So was the tv behind the glass. Very European in a way - I like the décor of the rooms as well.
The Butler Service that they advertise is not really a butler. It's someone who answers the phone downstairs and connects you to what you need. I used this butler to get our car for us....1 hour later no one had even gotten a call to retrieve the car...sigh....Another holiday snafu?
We had coffee delivered up to our room the two mornings we were there. They don't have any coffee makers in the rooms. So, prepare to spend $18 on your morning cup of joe ($10 for the coffee $6 delivery fee AND $2 for service charge!!!)
The Plus: The employees were wonderful! Absolutely, kind and always smiling. The looked good, always were trying to be at their best, and this is what perhaps will bring me back to give this hotel another shot.
Again, we only had two nights here, and paid top dollar for everything. The test of a hotel is during peak seasons; to see how they really operate, under pressure, with high capacity, using their services, as they advertise, to see if they can live up to their own expectations. The Chatwal seemed to have missed the boat...by that fraction needed - I had higher expectations for this hotel.

Room Tip: Be steadfast in keeping the room you initially booked. Make sure you get a view of 44th. Anything el...
Dear mcb1999,

Thank you for taking the time to advise of your recent stay at The Chatwal. It is through detailed feedback such as yours that we are able to improve upon the service we provide to our valued guests.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the art deco design of the hotel and the décor of the rooms. We pride ourselves on our warm and caring staff and appreciate your recognition of their service.

I was disappointed to read of your experience with retrieving your car and room upgrade. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally I can be reached at executiveoffice@thechatwalny.com.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to The Chatwal.

Ryan
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is my favorite property in NYC. A low key oasis within the bustling city, with gorgeous rooms and exceptional service. Rates are generally a decent amount lower than the higher profile 5 star properties (Four Seasons, Mandarin, RC Central Park, St. Regis, etc) so I find it to be a great relative value. I particularly enjoy the aesthetic of the rooms which are beautiful but subtle at the same time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Brian,

On behalf of the entire team at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, thank you for taking the time to tell us about how much you enjoyed your recent stay on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that The Chatwal is your favorite property in New York City.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night. from the moment i stepped inside i was blown away. from the ambiance to the delicious fragrance of the lobby it was beautiful. check in was great and the room was even better. i stayed in room 706 which was a large room with a huge balcony.it was cold outside in December so if you are not a smoker it may not be worth to pay extra for a balcony. the beds were great, the bathroom was amazing with a rain shower, heated toilet, huge wash area. all in all i highly recommend this hotel. did not charge for valet as well...

Room Tip: room 706 is a large suite with a balcony
Dear madrich36,

Thank you very much for sharing your feed back on TripAdvissor. We look forward to inviting you back in the future.

The Chatwal Management Team
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

The Chatwal provides excellent and personalized service second to none.

From the concierge desk to the butler service to the front desk to the room service, everything was outstanding. My wife and I were celebrating my 40th birthday as a weekend in New York City, and the staff made our experience truly special and memorable. The hotel itself has the perfect ambiance for its great location in the Theater District.

Upon arrival, our room was decorated for my birthday. The concierge, Mr. Juan Espinal, did a thoroughly superior and professional job in arranging our dining requests, providing general guidance and facilitating transportation. The butler service provided by Mr. Brandon Short was exceptional and courteous. The front desk was also professional, courteous and prompt. Our room service was expedient with superb offerings from the Lambs Club menu. The spa provides excellent service and was able to accommodate us on short notice for an unscheduled appointment. Our room was also kept continuously in good order by the housekeeping staff as well.

I give my highest recommendation to The Chatwal. It is truly a phenomenal hotel to stay in while visiting New York City.

Room Tip: The outstanding room 706. It is a large room, with a balcony overlooking W 44th Street.