“Beautiful...but so so.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

Save Saved
You added The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #47 of 452 hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful...but so so.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here from December 28-30. Not NEARLY enough time for me to really acquaint myself with the hotel but let me tell you what I did experience.
The hotel is on 44th St. between 8 and 9th. And, right before a holiday (New Years Eve) in New York....YOU ARE SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MADNESS.
We drove up to the hotel and no one was outside to take our car. I saw him put bags in the car in front of us and then leave. I had to go inside and have the receptionist get the doorman. That was okay...it was busy and he probably was the only guy there. I liked what I saw when I walked in but more on this later.
Once the doorman took our car, our bags were given directly to the bellman, and our attention was drawn to the receptionist who apologized for our waiting outside. Ahhhhhh. Here we go. Our check in was smooth and she told us all about the concierge, the bar and restaurant, with a lovely smile. The décor of the lobby (art deco) is very sleek and created a feeling of civilization from the craziness of the New Yorkers and the travelers outside.
We booked a Junior Suite but were told we had an "Upgrade"? I don't think so....we were to have a view of 44th St. However, We were immediately whisked to our room on the 9th Floor, room 901 and 902, and the view was a horrid view of buildings and pigeons. Just terrible. But, what I assume happened was that they gave us a grand deluxe (a step down from what we booked) and gave us an adjoining guest room, to make it a bit bigger. Reaching, Chatwal.
The bathrooms were very cool but realized...there was not much room to put your toiletries. The beds were comfortable and the rooms very clean. The bathroom showers and heated toilet seats are awesome! So was the tv behind the glass. Very European in a way - I like the décor of the rooms as well.
The Butler Service that they advertise is not really a butler. It's someone who answers the phone downstairs and connects you to what you need. I used this butler to get our car for us....1 hour later no one had even gotten a call to retrieve the car...sigh....Another holiday snafu?
We had coffee delivered up to our room the two mornings we were there. They don't have any coffee makers in the rooms. So, prepare to spend $18 on your morning cup of joe ($10 for the coffee $6 delivery fee AND $2 for service charge!!!)
The Plus: The employees were wonderful! Absolutely, kind and always smiling. The looked good, always were trying to be at their best, and this is what perhaps will bring me back to give this hotel another shot.
Again, we only had two nights here, and paid top dollar for everything. The test of a hotel is during peak seasons; to see how they really operate, under pressure, with high capacity, using their services, as they advertise, to see if they can live up to their own expectations. The Chatwal seemed to have missed the boat...by that fraction needed - I had higher expectations for this hotel.

Room Tip: Be steadfast in keeping the room you initially booked. Make sure you get a view of 44th. Anything el...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear mcb1999,

Thank you for taking the time to advise of your recent stay at The Chatwal. It is through detailed feedback such as yours that we are able to improve upon the service we provide to our valued guests.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the art deco design of the hotel and the décor of the rooms. We pride ourselves on our warm and caring staff and appreciate your recognition of their service.

I was disappointed to read of your experience with retrieving your car and room upgrade. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally I can be reached at executiveoffice@thechatwalny.com.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to The Chatwal.

Ryan

633 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is my favorite property in NYC. A low key oasis within the bustling city, with gorgeous rooms and exceptional service. Rates are generally a decent amount lower than the higher profile 5 star properties (Four Seasons, Mandarin, RC Central Park, St. Regis, etc) so I find it to be a great relative value. I particularly enjoy the aesthetic of the rooms which are beautiful but subtle at the same time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Brian,

On behalf of the entire team at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, thank you for taking the time to tell us about how much you enjoyed your recent stay on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that The Chatwal is your favorite property in New York City.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night. from the moment i stepped inside i was blown away. from the ambiance to the delicious fragrance of the lobby it was beautiful. check in was great and the room was even better. i stayed in room 706 which was a large room with a huge balcony.it was cold outside in December so if you are not a smoker it may not be worth to pay extra for a balcony. the beds were great, the bathroom was amazing with a rain shower, heated toilet, huge wash area. all in all i highly recommend this hotel. did not charge for valet as well...

Room Tip: room 706 is a large suite with a balcony
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear madrich36,

Thank you very much for sharing your feed back on TripAdvissor. We look forward to inviting you back in the future.

The Chatwal Management Team
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

The Chatwal provides excellent and personalized service second to none.

From the concierge desk to the butler service to the front desk to the room service, everything was outstanding. My wife and I were celebrating my 40th birthday as a weekend in New York City, and the staff made our experience truly special and memorable. The hotel itself has the perfect ambiance for its great location in the Theater District.

Upon arrival, our room was decorated for my birthday. The concierge, Mr. Juan Espinal, did a thoroughly superior and professional job in arranging our dining requests, providing general guidance and facilitating transportation. The butler service provided by Mr. Brandon Short was exceptional and courteous. The front desk was also professional, courteous and prompt. Our room service was expedient with superb offerings from the Lambs Club menu. The spa provides excellent service and was able to accommodate us on short notice for an unscheduled appointment. Our room was also kept continuously in good order by the housekeeping staff as well.

I give my highest recommendation to The Chatwal. It is truly a phenomenal hotel to stay in while visiting New York City.

Room Tip: The outstanding room 706. It is a large room, with a balcony overlooking W 44th Street.
Vienna, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

My wife and I recently celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and we decided to see a play in NYC. I surprised her with a overnight stay, she thought we were leaving that evening and staying in NJ on our way back to DC. The surprise was on me when we checked into the Chatwal! The staff greeted us by name when we arrived, not sure how they knew, and the Director of Operations, George, came out from his office to greet us. All of the staff at this great property were friendly and courteous, it seemed everyone there knew our name, very impressive. Our room was very spacious for Manhattan standards,. The bellman offered to provide an overview of our room which took nearly 15 minutes to describe all of the luxuries and beautiful appointments. Everything in the room could be controlled from a large screen phone next to the bed. The bathroom was magnificent, bidet, heated toilet seat, large Jacuzzi tub, rain shower, TV behind the mirror and it was beautifully decorated with plenty of extras. Waiting for us was a bottle of Champagne from the staff congratulating us on our special occasion. I would highly recommend this property for its location, close enough but far enough from Times Square and for the great staff. My wife and I have traveled all over the world and this was one of the finest properties we have ever had the pleasure of staying at. Make sure you check out the restaurant, the Lambs Club, Geoffrey Zakarian is an Iron Chef and the food was incredible (make sure you try the burger!). We will make a return trip to NYC next year and our hotel choice has already been made. I am sure you will enjoy this fine property as much as we have. Happy Holidays to all and the wonderful staff at the Chatwal!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Beautiful hotel! The rooms are fantastic with lots of mod cons which make it extra special. Hotel staff fabulous too. It's like a luxurious hideaway from the mayhem of times square . Perfectly located too. Definitely recommend it as a hotel rooms spacious

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Chatwal for six nights and I had a good time here. The Hotel is small and very cozy, it is well located right in Times Square (I don´t really enjoy too much Times Square). The service is very personal, and professional, the hotel facilities are good, and you feel quite good staying here. Maybe I was a bit unlucky with the room orientation since at 4-5 am I would hear all the noise from the street every day, either trucks or people screaming to each other.

I booked this hotel through Amex Travel Services and in that kind of rate breakfast is always included. The breakfast takes place at the Lambs Club, lovely room with a fire place, service is very good, just the way they make you present every morning some old school papers in order to be able to have your breakfast is kind of weird.

The best of the best was my room, a super spacious Junior Suite with amazing details, three tv´s (including one in the bathroom). and very very high quality finishes and interior design details. Loved every bit of it.

Overall the hotel is great and if you have to stay in Midtown and don´t mind not staying in a big hotel this would probably be the place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!