“So many good things, a bit overdone” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

Save Saved
You added The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join SPG to save 5% more
Ranked #51 of 446 hotels in New York City
Seattle, Washington
“So many good things, a bit overdone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

There are many things good about this luxury hotel, although the overall experience is that it feels that they are trying too hard / overdone. The beds are excellent, and the bathrooms fun (dramatic lighting, heated toilets, excellent toiletries). The breakfast is fabulous. If one gets a reasonable price for the room, it can be a great value. At full price, there may be better locations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

549 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We travelled to New York for a 4 night sightseeing and Christmas shopping spree on December 5th 2013 and were absolutely buzzing when we were checked into our special suite. After reading all the previous reviews we opted to pay the upgrade and get room 706 the suite with terrace and were very very happy with our choice. The room had so many extras which just made it extra special including; a heated toilet seat, a built in tv in the vanity mirror in the bathroom, the biggest terrace with massive table and chairs on, a very spacious dressing table, slippers, robes, a shower that could fit 10 people in, an amazingly big and well stocked mini bar, a large comfy bed, massive plasma tv on the wall, I could go on but it was honestly amazing, the best thing was we had butler service so when we pressed the butler button he answered straight away and honestly couldn't do enough for us. Ali was also amazing in the concierge and even carried our shopping bags up to our room whilst we went off shopping again!!!!!! You absolutely get what you pay for and if you can afford it I highly recommend you staying in room 706 - it really is one to remember and we are very well travelled. The last day we were shattered and decided to have a trip to the spa, treating ourselves with a facial and a massage - perfect ending to a perfect trip!!!!!!!!! Highly highly recommend the Chatwal! 2 minutes walk from toys r us on Times Square - you honestly couldn't get a better hotel in a better location!!!!!!! We will be back again :)

Room Tip: If you can splash out and want luxury - definitely stay in room 706 - suite with terrace :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wall Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We were absolutely blown away by the beautiful oversized deluxe room we had when we went into the city for my, significant others birthday. It was gorgeous, spacious and the most relaxing automated room we have ever seen. We arrived early in the morning and had brunch in the hotel restaurant, the Lambs club. After having a relaxing brunch we went to see the play Betrayal on 47th St and Broadway which was wonderful. We had great seats, center front in the mezzanine section and really enjoyed the play. We then headed back to the Chatwal to relax and so she could freshen up in our beautiful room and terrace before dinner. The room was so comfortable we we tempted to have dinner served in our room but we had made a reservation in the Lambs Club for dinner so we decided to have our dinner in their beautiful restaurant with wonderful people. Great place to stay while in NYC….

Room Tip: Just work with their wonderful staff and describe what your looking for and they will accommodate yo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have stayed in many luxury collection hotels, starwood hotels and new York hotels. This has got to be one of the worst. The team will make it sound like they do care and send you emails to ask for your requests prior to your arrival. I simply asked for an early check in at noon as I would be flying a long way. Of course, they replied saying that they would try their best to accommodate. I have asked for an early check in many times and 99% of the time they are granted but of course not here! They didn't seem to have a record that I asked for an early check in and to be quite honest, I didn't feel that they even tried to make the early check in happen. The response was that your request could not be guaranteed. I didn't get my room until 4 pm and with my platinum membership, did I get an upgrade ? NOT A CHANCE. Even though on the starwood website, there clearly was a nicer room category available but NOPE, the hotel was completely full according to the hotel. The website is wrong--that's my response. The most basic category room is extremely small and it's definitely not worth $ 650 a night! I felt so unwelcome at the hotel that I wanted to check out but again NOPE, you'll have to pay for your stay as the rate is non refundable.
The staff there are mostly quite pleasant but the management team does not seem to be experienced at dealing with customers or hotel issues in general.
With the platinum amenity, I chose breakfast. As usual, it's the continental breakfast that's included. But at many other properties, you can pay extra to upgrade to a better meal. NOT at this hotel.
I will absolutely not stay at this hotel again. I'll stick with the Le Meridien, W times Square, or W Union Square.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ryan W, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent stay at The Chatwal New York, A Luxury Collection Hotel.

We continually strive to offer exceptional levels of service and accommodate special requests.

We would appreciate if you allow us the opportunity to discuss your comments further. Our management team can be contacted at ExecutiveOffice@thechatwalny.com.
Ft Myers
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Bad front desk staff. Not professional. They need to be more mindful of the type of client they are servicing and provide better and quicker service, but no one cares. If ckin is 4pm, then rooms should be ready at 4pm. Will not return! Usually stay at Mandarin but they were booked. No comparison!

• Stayed December 2013
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

arrived from other part of the country, chose this as my reciprocal club was full,. I always spend my first three nights in this city recovering from the flight before onto family.
Ithe staff was faultless.. Perfect . every attention to detail was given. I felt I had a perfect security blanket beneath me. Loved the decor, the matress, sheets,,I only experienced the lobby and upstairs for drinks but it was perfect.
the bathroom wash quite special.. Just wondered I if tub area should have a handrail. I found it slippery..
I have no hesitation recommending the hotel. enjoy!

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Just stayed at the Chatwal for two nights. Went for business, and the staff was amazing in terms of accommodating our needs, at a moment's notice. My room was well appointed and spotless. The bathroom was very large and frankly, sparkled, Front desk staff (James) was gracious as was Juan the concierge and Brandon, the butler, was most remarkable of all. Both his incredible gift with names and his aim to please was second to none. Would most definitely return!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!