“Beautiful hotel, excellent service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

You added The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #40 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Welwyn
“Beautiful hotel, excellent service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hotel was perfectly located just off Times Square. Lovely Art Deco style and everything is in absolutely spotless condition. Only had breakfast there once but couldn't fault it, although I did have to be brave when I saw the bill. All the staff were super friendly and helpful. Room was very nice with a terrace although no view to speak of. I would have no hesitation recommending it and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear whichere,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit with us, and will look forward to your return visit. If there is anything I may be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Lance Miller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Yes, this is an expensive hotel and there are great things to love. We were in Room 709 that had a large lovely balcony overlooking 44th Street. The location is excellent, very close to theatre district and time square. The subway is exits to 911 Memorial blocks away.
Our room was fairly large and highly technical. There is a bedside control system that controls the curtains, lights. This was the negative of the room. I would be in the shower and the lights would go out or laying on the chase lounge reading the paper and the lights would go out. We never did figure out the lighting system during our stay.
Even though we were in noisy NYC, the room was very quiet. I needed a few clothing items pressed and since there is no iron in the room, we utilized the butler. Our items were returned within an hour and no charge for this showed up on our bill. There is no coffee/tea machine in the room but complimentary coffee is offered in the lobby.
I thought the room was quite large, including a nice size walk-in closet. The bathroom is dark, beautiful with a television built into the mirrored wall. I like to put my makeup on in a well lit bathroom or at lease a lighted mirror available which this bathroom does lack.
The staff was helpful and always available. The NY Times was delivered to our room daily so a nice treat to sit on our balcony and read the paper.

Room Tip: Highly recommend 709!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TDHArizona,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your visit with us, taking advantage of The Chatwal NY’s proximity to the subway stations to accommodate your travels throughout The Big Apple. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed various aspects of your guest room, and that you were able to utilize the complimentary butler services for your pressing needs.

We would welcome the opportunity to have you with us for a return visit. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Sheer opulence! From start to finish felt this hotel was fantastic. Amazing staff who couldn't do enough for us and very helpful.

The hotel is very stylish giving nods to it's historic past linked to Broadway. Room we had was a little small but unbelievable ammount of technology in this small space it's crammed in. Remote control curtains and blinds, to a tv in the bathroom which was hidden behind the mirrored finish on one of the walls!

We didn't eat at the hotel but had some cocktails in the evening in the stunning bar whilst watching a cracking jazz band.

It's a short walk to broadway great location very central to everything.

The pool is also great I know it looks small but it's a never ending pool so came in handy as my wife and I are open water training, great jacuzzi also.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GEM1000A,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

Situated in Manhattan’s historic Theater District, The Chatwal NY was once home to The Lambs Club Theater Group. Many historic landmarks throughout the hotel have been preserved since the building was first constructed. We are delighted to know you appreciated the history of our building, and are pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Should we ever have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Chatwal NY, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I can be of any assistance.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I Am A SPG Platinum member for 10 years now. I have been to hundreds of hotels around the world.

I paid 800 dollars a night for nothing but a small 300 Sqf room. room was not clean when I got in. I walked in to my room and the beds we're not made, it says that every room has a personal butler. I didn't even get to see him during my stay. I have called many times for assistance and never got it. not to mention the service from the advisors was terrible

I called to complain that I am not getting assistance and they made me hold 20 min on the line
then she tells me that the manager will have to call me back

Bottom line.
Not worth the money

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear americanpeople,

I want to apologize that you were disappointed with your visit at The Chatwal NY. At The Chatwal NY, we truly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations.

In order to deliver the high level of service our guests have come to expect, we rely on valued feedback. We trust that the matters you have raised in this review were brought to our attention during your visit. We will be investigating your comments to ensure other guests do not experience them.

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your experience. I can be reached at lmiller@thechatwalny.com or you may call the hotel directly at 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
1,455 reviews 1,455 reviews
4,097 helpful votes 4,097 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here for four nights, on a works sales incentive from UK & thought the whole place was first class.
Large room, especially for New York, with large luxury bathroom & all the amenities you would expect from a 5 star hotel.Service from all staff was brilliant, they couldn't do enough to help.
My only gripe was, there was no chance of getting a late drink, as they closed the bar at 12.00pm & this was non negotiable.
Overall a very impressive hotel that I can recommend highly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chris H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are thrilled to read you enjoyed various aspects of your guest room, including the oversized bathrooms.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you return with us in the future. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Cheshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Chose The Chatwal on the back of Tripadvisor rankings and we weren't disappointed. Had two inter-connecting rooms for our family and both were exceptional. Very lavish furnishings with great bathrooms. Opinions on Japanese toilet divided the family!
We had internal rooms and if we had any criticism it was simply that they could have done with brighter lighting; but they were very quiet and relaxing.
Staff were very helpful and friendly. Concierge team gave great restaurant recommendations and sorted out our transport niggles. Front desk team were always concerned to ensure our stay was going well.
Rather than booking on a website we phoned the hotel to make a reservation and we got great help in securing really advantageous rates by buying Starwood points. The web couldn't compete and we would never have discovered this without making the call.
All up, a great find and would return like a shot.
PS my wife recommends the Red Door Spa!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Darnie,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest. We are delighted to know you had an pleasant visit, and that you were able to utilize the services of the concierge and that your wife received signature treatments at The Red Door Spa by Elizabeth Arden.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Chatwal NY in the future. If there is anything I may be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I don't understand why this hotel gets such great reviews on Trip Avisor. We've just completed a 5 night stay and our experience wasn't in line with the reviews we read, the price we paid, or our expectations.

First, the positives:

- Very funky decor with red leather in the common areas and leather and chrome in the bedrooms
- Great Japanese WCs in the bathrooms with heated seats and built in sprays
- Excellent concierge desk: Bryan and Sergio couldn't do enough for us and were truly outstanding
- Good location in the heart of midtown and only one block from Times Square

Now for the negatives:

- Our room was really small (we had a grand deluxe king, 904) and oddly designed and fitted out. Though the furnishings are very funky and interesting (as mentioned above) the design of the room lacks functionality. The bed side tables are so full of gadgets, there is no space to place anything else on them (water glass, book, ipad, wallet, etc). The cupboards are wierdly designed (very deep doors which contain shelves that have no real purpose) and can only be used to hang clothes. The drawers (on the other side of the room) were inadequate for our storage needs. A space age phone (that also contains room controls) didn't work for the duration of our stay. The walls were clad in suede which was worn out in places (I'm sure it's hard to maintain and doesn't seem like a great material for a hotel room). Finally, given the small size of the room, I am surprised they chose such a dark color pallete as it makes the room seem even smaller than it is.

- The bathroom is really impressive looking (even more than the room) but also lacks functionality. The chrome washbasins looked great when we arrived but got water stains on them in one use and then just looked dirty. We had a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom with an overhead shower. We couldn't use the tub because the bath stopper was broken the entire duration of our stay. The way the shower is placed, it was impossible to use it without wetting the bathroom floor. Water pressure was also very poor for the shower.

- Very poor housekeeping service. The housekeeping staff never bothered to pick up empty water bottles, used milk jugs, etc. from our room. When they made the bed in the evening, they placed the extra cushions on the only chair in the room rendering it unusable. Surely it should be standard protocol for extra bedding to be stored in the cupboards.

- Room service is very slow and very expensive. We travelled with a small child so needed to get warm milk for him twice a day and also have his bottles cleaned. We assumed this was something the butler service could do for us but were told it is outside their scope and we should ask room service. Room service took 30+ minutes to get us milk each time we asked and charged us $8-12 for the privilege. Unacceptable and not what we have ever experienced in any other luxury hotel before (and we've been to many!)

- Given the above, not sure what the purpose of butler service is. There is already room service, housekeeping, concierge and porter service available, so don't know what function the butler is meant to provide.

- We ate 3 meals in the Lambs Club restaurant (breakfast, brunch, dinner). Food was average, prices exorbitant and service poor. We got served dishes we didn't order, service took forever, and staff behaved like they were doing us a favour to let us eat there.

- Finally, it's very difficult to get cabs outside the hotel. We previously stayed at the Sofitel which is also on 44th a block from the Chatwal and this was never a problem at that hotel. However, at the Chatwal, it was impossible to get a cab. When we were to go to the airport, the hotel suggested a limo that would cost $270. We told them to call us a yellow cab instead (which costs $52) and they claimed that its not possible to call a cab in NYC, which I know is not true.

I would not stay at this hotel again and can't recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear sohilc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your input from The Chatwal NY.

All guestrooms and bathrooms are furnished with the most luxurious amenities available. Additionally, we commit ourselves to providing our guests with a distinguished level of intimate service. I am sorry to learn that you were not completely satisfied with your visit. We continually strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and we greatly value your feedback.

We would welcome the opportunity to have you return with us for another visit to The Chatwal NY. I would be happy to facilitate your reservation to ensure you receive the exact specifications in a room that you require. Kindly reach out to me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com so that I may be able to assist you.

Lance Miller

Been to The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!