“I was expecting more - not impressed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

You added The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #41 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Austin, TX
“I was expecting more - not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice, clean hotel in a good location. However, I found the service to be lacking in a few areas. Despite being a Platinum member, I don't believe I was upgraded to the best available room and wasn't offered a Platinum amenity. The drain in the tub was broken, and it took 10 minutes for someone to come up and fix. The concierge and folks at the front desk were friendly, but those small things were disappointing for what should be a top-rate hotel. When in the area again, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear debbfrog,

Thank you for sharing the details of your experience from The Chatwal NY.

I would like to take this time to express my regrets that we were not able to meet your expectation. All Platinum members receive an upgrade to the best available room at the time they check in and all have the choice between the three Platinum Amenities we offer.

We have not received a case from Starwood regarding these issues so I do not know who to reach out to in order to discuss your reservation in greater detail. This is an opportunity I would welcome.

I can be reached via email at lmiller@thechatwalny.com or you may call 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

Lance Miller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Saint James, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is truly the nicest hotel I have ever been in! I picked this hotel for the location to Times Square. The hotel looks like you are walking into another time and place. I happen to love the 30'-40's era and the Chatwal made me feel like I was there. The attention to detail of furnishings is amazing. Professional staff great you with a smile and make you feel special from the minute you walk in. We booked the Junior Suite at a price that I would normally not pay. But I thought for just once, spend a little more to see what happens. Well, I never wanted to leave the room. It was so wonderful! We were there for a quick night into the city to see a concert and I can be sure we will stay at the Chatwal again! I can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: I did ask for a balcony (there are a few rooms with one), but we would have a smaller room. So I st...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear NYCHotelLady,

Thank you for your review of The Chatwal NY.

We are delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable experience. I am thrilled to see you indulged in the luxurious amenities appointed in the guest rooms.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Chatwal NY for a return visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I can be of any assistance.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Our recent stay at the Chatwal was amazing at every level - I rarely write reviews but I think our experience should be shared. I travelled with my husband, 6 year old daughter and 20 year old nephew...as frequent travellers, we bring our daughter everywhere with us and she always rates the hotels. She compared the Chatwal to many other 5+ stars and we all agreed that we would return. Our nephew appreciated the art deco design and loved the tv in the mirror. He also liked the location as it was steps from Times Square, but my husband also noted how quiet and serene it was at night in the hotel (it was hard to believe we were in the middle of Times Square when we were in our room). We didn't have any issues with noise which was nice!

Check-in:
The staff at the Chatwal are all so professional and friendly, and most of all helpful. Prior to my arrival, the Concierge staff (Nick, Tim, Juan, Pierre) emailed me with hotel, weather, and local information as well as answered all of my questions and arranged for everything that was requested, including accepting packages and making reservations for dining/transportation, etc. Check-in with Catalina was literally 5 minutes and we were in our room with our luggage and a tour of the room right away.

When I was out and about during the day, I was able to email concierge with any requests or questions and they were always answered almost immediately or in a timely manner. Thanks so much to everyone at Concierge!

Staff:
Our butler, Brandon, was most efficient and even had delicious treats for my daughter pre-dinner...it was perfect and she lasted until we were settled and decided on a place to dine at. He was available to greet us either in the lobby or seen in the hallways, and most of the staff remembered us all by first names.

The cleaning staff were all efficient and no complaints whatsoever - fresh towels were provided daily and replenished at night if needed. Doorstaff are always available to flag down a cab or arrange for transportation.

Room:
The room was extremely spacious and amenities well-thought of. You can be assured that all of the little details are taken care of - from the umbrella in the closet, to the computer phone, to the spacious storage and snack bar, different types of hangers in the closet as well as lint remover, shoe horn, laundry bag, etc. Plenty of hanging storage, and chest of drawers are provided.

A list of amenities that can be requested from your butler is available in the guest info book. The suede walls, and soft carpet was a nice touch and I'm sure doubled as a noise-buffer for the rooms. Complimentary shoe shines are offered daily and the mini bar included shakers, gourmet snacks and a wide range of beverages/alcohol, and many magazines are stored with the mini bar.

The motorized drapes are controlled by the computer phone but we had them closed most of the time. The desk also turned into a make-up vanity and media centre which you can use as a charging station or computer work area.

Beds:
The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and the turn-down service great. The reading lights at the side of the bed are handy.

Ensuite:
The bathroom design is important, and we always look for a hotel with somewhat luxurious bathrooms. This bathroom included contemporary Kohler fixtures including a heated bidet seat, tv in the mirror by the vanity and an extensive amenities box. The speakers on the ceiling make it easy to hear the tv while in the bath or shower. Shower options include a handheld, rain shower head, and tub with spa jets. The Asprey products are one of our favourites too. The entire bathroom is tiled in a sparkly, Black Galaxy granite which gives a nice glamourous/luxurious feel.

Robes and slippers are also provided.

Dining Options:
Room service is available 24 hours a day, 2nd floor lounge provides refreshments and snacks + bar, and dinner at the Lamb's Club is a must!

Other:
We all commented on the elevator access (each guest has to scan their card before the elevator would work) which made us feel safe. You will learn more about the hotel's history during your overview of the room, and most of the movies playing in the elevator had some sort of connection to the hotel.

As you enter the elevator area in the lobby, you will find refreshments (iced-tea for us) and a quaint sitting area. The spa and pool were under renovations during our stay, but we were told that spa and pool access could be arranged at one of the hotel's partner sites. We didn't take advantage of this as our stay wasn't long enough to do so.

The gym was extremely clean, a little small but had a bike, treadmills, elliptical and free-weights, a bench and exercise ball, towels and bottled water, and yoga mats. If you forget your ipod you can borrow one from the hotel or grab a pair of earphones for the tv's.

Complimentary wifi is available in each room, and ipods, ipads and laptops are offered for complimentary use at check-in. A Backgammon set is available in each room as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear TO_Traveller_771,

Thank you for your beautiful review of your experience of The Chatwal NY.

Here, the team at The Chatwal NY, strive to sincerely exceed each guests expectations. We are extremely delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and had many warm and pleasant interactions with all team members.

We would be honored to host you and your family again for a return visit to The Chatwal NY. Should we have this pleasure, please contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I love this hotel. This was the second time we'd stayed there and it is a favorite, to be sure! A small lobby for check in, wonderful staff. The lounge upstairs is a great place for people watching after working hours or late night. Their restaurant downstairs is quite excellent, although I think if you're in New York you should get out of your hotel for dinner.

You are in the heart of all things theater and only a block or so from Times Square.

The rooms are VERY spacious for downtown NYC and have every amenity you need and don't. Perfect little wardrobes, mini bars, full length mirrors, it's all very high end. The bathrooms are extremely luxurious and, I know this sounds weird, but the toilets are rather decadent. That's all I have to say about that, you'll see what I mean when you stay.

The spa and pool are beautiful and I thought the masseuse that I had was world class. This hotel combines a retro New York City feel in a charming and warm atmosphere, all while letting you know that this is a full service, luxury property and whatever you need will be delivered.

Love it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Service at The Chatwal was extraordinary and extremely friendly. Every employee on staff (doormen, front desk, housekeeping, restaurant personnel) made a point of saying hello or good morning and welcoming us back when we returned from time away. The room was spacious, quiet and very well appointed. We ate breakfast and dinner at the Lamb's club and found both meals to be excellent. We defintely are recommending The Chatwal to our friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Trevor S,

Thank you for your review of The Chatwal NY.

We sincerely appreciate your comments, especially those regarding our staff. We take tremendous pride in serving our guests in order to provide them with the most exceptional experiences in New York City.

We thank you for recommending us to your friends and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Chatwal NY in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have been trying different hotels in NYC trying to find one to stay at consistently for business. This hotel has to be one of best hotels I have stayed at in NYC. The service was impeccable. I was upgraded to a suite upon check in which was also amazing. Check in service was great as they also escorted me to the room and gave me a tour. They pressed my clothing upon arrival. The gym was also spotless and had everything you could need for a road warrior.

The hotel had the feel of the ulitmate business traveler hotel with rooms that were silent as a tomb and limited traffic in the lobby. This is even more impressive considering it is in the heart of times square.

The reason this review is incomplete is as I attempted to sleep in this magnificent room I was repeatedly bit by a bug (I assume a mosquito). This went on all night and prevented me from getting a proper nights sleep. I called the front desk and the man attempted to be helpful and offered to go buy bug repellent for me which I declined as I felt silly. The bug issue created a very uncomfortable night stay.

The fact that the service was so impeccable and the room was pristine makes me want to believe that the bug issue was an anomaly. I plan on giving this hotel another chance.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Viyas,

Thank you for your review of The Chatwal NY.

I sincerely regret that you did not have a perfect night’s sleep while staying with us. The issue you describe is indeed an anomaly, as we normally do not hear of occurrences of this nature.
Nevertheless, I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the hotel overall and had the opportunity to take advantage of the various outlets in the hotel. The Chatwal NY is an ideal hotel for business travelers, as we have complimentary WiFi throughout the entire property, and laptops and iPads available for all guests to use.

I would be honored to personally arrange your next reservation with us. Kindly reach out to me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com so that I may arrange accordingly. You may also call 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed @ The Waldorf last year but wanted a more central locality this year,happy we did!! Rooms were large,fantastic bathroom & heaps of wardrobe space.
Breakfast was expensive but of high quality.Given the closeness to Times Square, the room ( on the 6th floor ) was surprisingly quiet.
All in all, the staff were what made this place a reccomended experience.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Goradelhiwalla,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences from The Chatwal NY.
We sincerely appreciate your generous comments, especially about your interactions with the staff.

We do hope to have the pleasure to host you for a return visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I may be of any assistance.

Lance Miller

Been to The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!