“Very Sincere staff...not "perfect" but quite nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

You added The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #40 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Detroit, Michigan
“Very Sincere staff...not "perfect" but quite nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Wow, other reviewers must have been visiting hotel nirvana when they stayed here.

Yes, this was a really nice and extremely quiet, well located hotel.

Was it the finest hotel I have ever stayed in? No. It was plush and cozy, but it also was very dark and had some flaws...

1. The "pool" that is advertised is truly an overblown bathtub.

2. My husband is a Fox news junkie (I know, I know...I still love him though) and he could not watch it on our t.v. in the room...only in the bathroom---quite nice for me, but highly irritating for him. He contacted the hotel and they sent up numerous maintenance guys...two of whom must have thought the room was empty and came barging in without knocking!

3. The concierge was not too friendly and only recommended the typical tourist haunts.

4. An hour before our check out we were contacted via phone by the butler who asked us if we had any last minute needs before check out. Although this was very nice, we were not aware we even had a butler until that last minute call. This was such an obvious ploy by her...she was sniffing around for a tip! That was very transparent.

5. Upon check in and almost every other time we entered the hotel, the doorman was nowhere to be found. We lugged up our suitcases ourselves. At night we walked into the hotel without anybody checking who we were. I understand that one needs a key to work the elevator, but still this hotel is right off of Times Square.

6. Our views (from our two rooms) were dark and looked into a bleak alley. Personally, I didn't mind because we were in the city...but my husband was disappointed and felt the lack of natural daylight was depressing. I guess if that matters to you then you should request a 44th street view.

On the positive side...

1. The two rooms we had were spacious and lovely.
2. The bedding was clean and comfy
3. The staff tried very hard to be accommodating and I could tell that they were really proud to be working there.
4. It was probably the quietest and most private hotel I have ever stayed in. I probably saw 4 other guests during my entire 3 day stay...VERY VERY PRIVATE!!!! I bet celebs LOVE staying here for that reason alone...tiny lobby to walk through and probably only 10 or so rooms per floor.

So, do I recommend this hotel? Absolutely! Was it "Perfect"? Absolutely not. Would I stay again? Possibly, depending on rates and future reviews by other Trip
Advisor members.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Just stayed at my new favorite hotel for 5 days June 16. I like other reviewers am a Starwood devotee and was anxious to check out this property. There are some very eloquent reviews here and let me say I agree with all of them. Our five days were perfect. Every member of the staff was warm and attentive. The butler, Brendon was terrific and helped to make sure the suit with the stain was cleaned and ready for the big meeting
From the perfect location, to subtle decor, wonderful spa and fabulous restaurant it was all perfect. True luxury....can't wait to go back

• Stayed June 2011
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I was there for a week with my mum for a holiday from Greece. This is one of the best five star hotels I have ever stayed. Our butler, Brandon, was always helpful and he was able to accommodate all the requests we had. Excellent location, just a minute away from the Times Square, yet the rooms were very quiet. All hotel staff made our stay a memorable one. Superb breakfast as well. Most def next time I go back to NYC, I will book the same hotel. Glam yet reasonably priced!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I recently stayed at The Chatwal for five nights as a celebration for my partner’s birthday. Before booking I was a little concerned about the hotel’s proximity to the tourist maelstrom of Time Square but having read reviews decided it’s central location was worth the gamble… All my apprehension was immediately extinguished upon arrival; with The Chatwal a gloriously refined oasis of calm which seemed totally removed from the chaos of Manhattan. Whilst definitely close to Time Square, you would be hard pushed to know it was even there; with The Chatwal positioned on a quiet side street with little passing traffic. Within the hotel, the owners have successfully combined classic art nouveau styling with a contemporary feel which gives a sense of quality without becoming stuffy.

On arrival the desk staff were exceptionally helpful and welcoming – chatting at length about our stay, offering recommendations on things to do and see whilst checking us in quickly and efficiently. We stayed in a Theatre Room which was the perfect size and beautifully appointed. From the comfy bed through to the stunning bathroom, everything was exceptional and housekeeping ensured we had fresh water / turndown service etc. whenever it was needed.

Beyond the room, we spent time in the bar and had dinner in the The Lambs Club restaurant both of which were classic New York with a modern twist and highly recommended. The concierge gave us great suggestions for local breakfasts and the proximity to Central Park / Hell’s Kitchen / 5th Avenue / Subway etc. meant we were able to get around the city, eat at diverse restaurants and sightsee with ease.

There is a great deal more I could say about The Chatwal, but the digested read is a wonderful hotel which I will definitely return to and would recommend to anyone. Even after our stay the service was amazing (I left my sunglasses and they had them sent by Fed-Ex back to the UK) and it forms a central crux to our wonderful memories of a glorious NYC stay.

The best hotel I have ever stayed at in New York. Don’t hesitate in booking; you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Key West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

As a former New Yorker, I really do not like to stay near Times Square, but I did stay here recently and loved the hotel. The refurbishment of this historic building is beautiful. The service is exceptional. My room was not as large as some of the other reviews talk about. At check out, the front desk apologized that they were not able to upgrade me to a larger room. Even so, the room was large enough with a queen bed, chair and desk. The bathroom was very large with a wonderful, huge walk in shower.

The bed was great and the room was very quiet. If you are looking to stay near Times Square, this hotel is a wonderful choice for a special experience. If you do stay, be sure to walk over to 9th Avenue and experience a more authentic New York street then the Tourist Wasteland of Time Square. 9th has some great restaurants, shops and a nice wine store.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

This hotel surpassed all expectations. From the doorman to the butler service, there was absoluetly no complaints. With just 83 rooms, you get almost an exclusive treatmeant as if you were the only one in the buliding. Everyone was very friendly and seemed very sincere as if they really take pride in their jobs and hotel.

The room was amazing! Even the toilet has a remote ; No more sitting on a cold toilet seat. In addition to extra features, there is a television that appears in the mirror wall in the bathroom. The huge showerhead delivers an awesome shower experience like no other. Ther is also a shower system in the wall with a handheld shower handle if you choose to opt out of the most wonderful shower experience you will ever have. Even the soap is the only one of its kind in the United States.

There is also an amazing mini-bar tucked away behind a leather wrapped door accessed by leather handles. AMAZING! The alcoholic beverage avaiable are the ones you will actually want. It also comes with snacks, books, magazines, etc... but for a small fee.

The room I stayed in had a nice leather wrapped desk that converts into a vanity just in case you do not feel like standing up in the mirror in the bathroom. The bed has a comfortable firm mattress and your head just melts into the pillows providing you with the best night's sleep ever! The remote control for the blinds comes in handy in the a.m. when you don't have the self-discipline to get up to allow some sunshine to help you in the process.

The location is superb!!! In the heart of Times Square, you get a chance to enjoy all the perks but as soon as you walk in the hotel you actually forget you are in the middle of Time Square.

Sorry to be so long winded but I just want the staff to know how appreciative I am of their outstanding hospitality and service. The pictures on the site is proof of the luxuries and amenities of The Chatwal, but does no justice to the service and hospitality that this hotel provides. I will definately make this my home away from home. THE CHATWAL IS A TRUE 5 STAR HOTEL!

• Stayed June 2011
Ames, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

The hotel is located just a few skips away from Time Square on 44th St. You have access to the subway at 42 and Time Square (several train lines) and a few blocks from 49 and Bryant Park (should your desire be to catch a Yankees game on the D train). There is a 24 hour convenience store on the same block for drinks, snacks, and a late night sandwich.

The hotel is in the middle of 44th St. so none of the floors will give you a view of Time Square. However, the hotel rooms are absolutely amazing! Suede walls. Room controls via a touch-screen telephone console (turn down service at the touch of a button). Complimentary WIFI. A bathroom with a bidet (that comes with a remote!) A TV in the bathroom mirror. Jets in the bathtub. Rainshower. Ample towels (hand, bath) and bath robes. A minibar with a everything (everay thang? Yes, everay thang!).

The hotel has a 1950s 1960s feel. If this is your first time - let the bellhop give you a tour of your room - trust me, you will benefit from it!

Sometimes you want to impress and you are able to splurge. This is a luxury hotel that is worth every penny! Enjoy it because you will always think back to your experience!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!