“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dafni Greek Taverna

Dafni Greek Taverna
325 West 42nd Street, (between 8th Ave & 9th Ave), New York City, NY (Midtown)
212-315-1010
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dafni Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,404 of 11,180 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 8th Avenue
Transit: Times Square NQRW, 123, S, close to Port Authority ACE.
Firenze
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

This place is one of the best we found in new york! Great service and great food! The salmon is awesome, and so the lamb! All the starters arr delicious, especially the grape leaves! You can't go around Times sq without stopping here!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great Greek Food at Reasonable Prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We're so used to crazy prices in Broadway, and Dafni was a pleasant surprise. We had an excellent meal, with great service, and it was great value for money. I would recommend a selection of starters and a couple of mains to share - that way you get to taste a variety of dishes.

Pity the fact that there is a church nearby prohibits the sale of spirits... an ouzo would have been nice! But I would recommend this restaurant and I would go back there.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Viera, Florida, USA
“Distain kids and questions but food is very good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stopped here prior to our Broadway show based on TripAdvisor reviews. The wait staff could barely contain their disdain for our three girls, 11, 9 and 6. I guess I am more used to the customer service in Orlando...Nonetheless it was tolerable for them and us and the food was very good, though not extraordinary. I would NOT go out of my way here for Greek food. It is convenient on a pre-theater night and provided you don't have kids or questions about the menu, it should be a fine experience. The mousaka ($15.50) was good but had scant eggplant an a lot of potato. Spanakopita appetizer ($9) was very good. There is no children's menu. Recommend you avoid our server, Dimitri.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A convenient pre-theater option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is the kind of place I would only go for lunch or brunch - I guess it just has more of a diner feel or a casual afternoon bite. That said, the lunch we had recently was very good - most of us ordered from the "brunch" menu but a few folks had the traditional greek dishes. The souvlaki was outstanding as was the kebab. Portions are generous bordering on ridiculous...probably could have shared an omelet! The service is good, but not very personal or special. But certainly capable and timely. Its location is perfect for a quick lunch before seeing a show and the pace of the meal perfect for such as well.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
atlanta
“Can I ....sir can I ...we had a reservation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I entered with my wife at right at reservation time. The host, without explanation took SOME of our "data" but seemed to head right back out as a server. After about 10 minutes of this I made it clear we needed to know the score.
This kind of set the trend for the meal: items were explained scantily if at all and Greek bluntness ran a fine line from blunt to rude.
Food was Greek/ no special touches, so was wine, baklava oddly grainy.

• Visited December 2012