“Good transport links” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New York Hostel 99

We can't find prices for this accommodation
New York Hostel 99
You added New York Hostel 99 to your Saves list
30 East 129 Street, New York City, NY 10035   |
Ayrshire, Scotland
“Good transport links”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

The hostel is basic but clean and friendly. Rooms are small but ours had an ensuite (shared amoung the 8 people in our dorm) and was decent enough. The hostel is small and over a few levels (no lift) with the main kitchen on the ground floor, TV and games room in basement and rooms above. We like to walk so decided to travel into Manhattan on foot. This was quite a walk with the hostel being on 129th but we didn't mind. If you prefer quicker means of travel, this is close to trains/subway. We felt it was a little far out for us and next time we would go for something more central. Being 2 females alone we didn't always feel 100% safe walking back to the hostel at night and on arrival at the hostel but again, we could have taken a cab!
If you want something close to the action or are a female travelling alone, perhaps give this one a miss.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

Good location: 4 blocks from the train station and 59th st Columbus Ciricle, some stores right next door to get some essentials for food, toiletries, etc.
Really nice people, service from 8 to midnight.
I was during 7 days in this hostel and it was really nice: first because it's really good location and second because it was really clean and the staff is so nice. At the beginning we were quite afraid, but safe area, near the subway, near Central Park, near Subway station, People are very friendly there! This hostel allowed me to appreciate my stay in NYC and to discover Midtown! I plan to go there again next year!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Marseille, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

I was during 7 days in this hostel and it was really nice: first because it's really cheap and second because it was really clean and the staff is so nice (Viviana helped us a lot for the metro and the taxi ;-))...At the begining we were quite afraid because it was located in harlem, but safe aera, near the subway, near church (for gospel), near apollo ., near Lenox lounge... People are very friendly there! this hostel allowed me to apreciate my stay in NYC and to discover Harlem! I plan to go there again next year!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Bel Air, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

My boyfriend and I came to NYC for a leisurely weekend and being college students, we didn't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for lodging so this hostel was perfect price-wise. We took the subway and walked about six blocks to get to the hostel. The neighborhoods looked sketchy, but during the day we were completely fine. Coming back to the hostel at night, we took a cab just to be on the safe side. We booked the room with a double bed and private bath and it was much MUCH nicer than what I expected. It was very large, clean, and new looking with a closet and air conditioner. The bathroom was awesome as it had it's own jacuzzi tub, which was huge. The bed was comfortable, and they provided each of us with a towel. I would absolutely stay here again and I recommend it to the traveler on a budget. The only drawback is the location, but the subway is relatively close.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

At first I was concerned about the neighborhood after I booked the hostel. But seriously it was totally fine! I was with another girl and we never had any problems. You'll have a guy or two yell something at you, but if you don't dress really trashy you're totally fine. Coming home at 2:30 on a Saturday night I had no issues at all. But it is far away and a few times we would have liked to go back to the hostel to drop things off etc. but didn't want to take the 20-25 min it takes to commute.
The hostel is very clean and the staff is uber friendly. They let us check in early and leave our luggage in the lobby for a few hours after we checked out. The whole building is updated and really nice. Although the walls are REALLY thin and the floorboards above our room creaked REALLY bad. And the beds were really uncomfortable. Breakfast is ok, but it's free so who cares? We weren't able to connect to the internet, but we didn't ask for help. The security is nice. You have to ring a doorbell to enter so they screen people coming in.
Overall, I'd recommend the hostel. You're paying for what you get but it's clean and the staff are really nice.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

this is very good hostel.
Location is good very Cleanliness new

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to New York Hostel 99? Share your experiences!