“Location is its saving grace” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton New York Fashion District

Save Saved
You added Hilton New York Fashion District to your Saves list
Hilton New York Fashion District
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 West 26th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
15% off Rooms!
Ranked #162 of 446 hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Location is its saving grace”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was in New York for a week-long business meeting. Our offices were very close hence Hilton Fashion District was the most logical choice from a distance point of view. So that is its main (if not its only) saving grace, in my view.

The service was below expectations for a Hilton hotel (i.e. I'm not asking for rose petals or ostrich-feather fans. This is not a luxury hotel and I'm on a business trip.) I was expecting at least competent staff with enough knowledge to execute basic transactions like dealing with an extension request or explaining differences between rooms. The staff handling the request couldn't wrap her head around what was going on with my booking and with those requests. At some point, she referred to her colleague who was equally lost. I just came from a 16 hour flight and didn't want to prolong standing at the reception while dealing with staff who obviously didn't know what was going on. I gave them time to sort it out till the following morning. Unfortunately, it was the same banana the next day.

That sort of experience upon arrival leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes one more critical of the hotel you're in. I was annoyed that the room they gave me was on a lower floor, looking out to a busy street - thank you for all the traffic noise - just what a jet-lagged person needs. I just didn't have the energy to deal with the staff again for a change room request. The walls on the hall were a sick shade of green that reminded me of a hospital or a low-end hostel. I could barely wait to get out each morning so instead of staying to have my breakfast there, I would dash out to grab something at the corner Argo Tea place.

Overall, Hilton Fashion District was adequate accommodation for someone travelling by herself with no romanticized agendas and just expecting pure utility. It provided a bed to sleep in at a location that suited the purpose at that time. Unfortunately, nothing more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HiltonNYFashion, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for this review and feedback on Hilton New York Fashion District. I regret to hear that the service you received by the Front Desk staff did not meet your expectations. The Front Desk Staff often get compliments on how friendly and helpful they are so I apologize that the same quality service was not extended to you during your stay. I have passed on your comment to our Director of Front Office so that further training may take place and so that consistent, top-notch service is provided.
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton New York Fashion District during your visit to New York City and I hope for a chance to regain your confidence in us.

1,805 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Turkish first
Corona Del Mar, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Its completely untrue that all NY city hotels in Manhattan are expensive and overpriced. In fact, I just stayed at his lovely NY hotel for less than I paid at the Denver airport the same week. I know its a well-known fact that staying in NY is expensive and its not cheap but, you can get a good night's sleep in a clean room, just a short cab ride from Time Square and not break the bank. I would say that when returning to NY again, I would definitely stay at the NY Hilton on 26th Street and 7th Ave. Everyone was totally helpful from the front desk to the doorman.

Also had their daily lunch special for only $10.95 and used my Gold status to get a free buffet in morning with fabulous fresh OJ and some of the best coffee you have ever had. I am not sure I have had a better deal than this in a long time and it was in all places NY.

Room Tip: These rooms are small so get ready for a smaller than average space. You're only going to sleep...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for 4 days whilst exploring New York.

ROOMS
We had a double room which was on the small side, although this is typical of New York and our window faced directly into the hotel/apartment building across the street. Although we had sufficient shutters to maintain our privacy.

FOOD
This was the best part...the restaurant downstairs and the rooftop bar are amazing. I would highly recommend the baby back ribs and the platters are HUGE so it wouldn't hurt to share a starter and a main and the staff were so friendly and welcoming

LOCATION
I couldn't ask for a better location. It was within 10 minute walking distance to Times Square and all the sights but far enough to be away from all the major hustle and bustle.

I would definitely stay here again next time I go to New York. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which doesn't face the building opposite the hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a solid mid-priced hotel in a great location in Chelsea. Convenient to downtown, midtown, just about anywhere. I've stayed at this hotel about 5-6 times in the past year and it's become my go-to in NYC. It's a stealth little hotel -- even cab drivers are surprised when I tell them the address and say it's the Hilton. Everyone says "there's a Hilton there?" It used to be an independent hotel called the Fashion26 and most people don't know it changed to Hilton a few years ago.

The hotel is modern, clean, and just good all around. The only drawback is that the rooms are pretty small. I expect that in NYC, so it's not that big a deal. But the room is very functional and the bathroom is new/modern and very good. Beds are comfortable, internet seems to be consistently fast, and service is pretty good.

My biggest complaint is as a Hilton Hhonors Gold member, I don't seem to get an upgraded room very often. Usually the front desk doesn't even acknowledge that I'm entitled to an upgrade -- even if an upgrade isn't available, I wish the front desk would just tell me that. Instead, I go to my assigned room and it's always a mystery what I'm getting, and I'm usually disappointed. The upgraded room, when you get one, is only a little big larger than the standard, but that makes a big difference when the rooms are so small to begin with. I also tend to end up on a low floor -- usually the highest I get is floor 12 and I think there are something like 25 floors in the hotel. I'm not sure who all those people are getting high floor rooms if a Gold member like myself isn't getting one. One time I did have something on a high floor and it had incredible views of the Empire State Building. Here's hoping I get one again someday.

Despite the upgrade issue, I still usually stay at this Hilton because it's good in so many other areas and the rate is usually pretty reasonable. I recommend trying it out if you haven't stayed there -- definitely better than the Four Points Sheraton a couple of blocks away and better than the Hampton and Hilton Garden Inns I've stayed at in the general area. I used to stay mostly at the Doubletree in Chelsea, but when I discovered this Hilton for about the same price, I've never looked back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with upgrade. I have passed on your comments to our Director of Front Office to discuss this matter. We would love an opportunity to welcome you back and deliver the level of accommodations you have every right to expect from Hilton New York Fashion District. Thank you for staying with us!

West Jordan, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My sister and I stayed one night at the Hilton fashion district while we were guests on the Rachael Ray Show. The hotel was not aware of us being on the show, yet the staff treated us like special guests. They were friendly, accomodating, and went out of their way to make us feel welcome! The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Will definitely stay again, when we can make better use of the location and fit in some sight seeing!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would very much look forward to another opportunity to provide you with the level of service you have every right to expect from Hilton. Thank you for choosing Hilton New York Fashion District!

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel was very nice. The rooms are very clean, and cleaned regulary. The location is very good, as its close to the empire state building, and 20 minutes walk from times square. We actually walked everywhere from here, to times square, central park, and the other way down to Ground Zero and back. The only thing letting the hotel down was the elevators, as they kept breaking down and took ages to arrive at the lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Short walk from Penn Station and subway. Usually one of the least expensive among comparable hotels. Staff very friendly and accomodated an early check in more than once. Clean. Fairly quiet for Manhattan, and only small number of rooms per floor so not much hallway noise. Everytime I have checked in there has been a complimentary something at the front desk (small pastry, cookie, popcorn, interesting juice, etc). Internet free (at least for Diamond members). Stayed most recently in January 2013, have stayed several times in past. I spend about 150 nights per year away from home and this has become one of my NYC go-to hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will definitely share your wonderful comments with our staff! We would very much look forward to another opportunity to provide you with the level of service you have every right to expect from Hilton. Thank you for choosing Hilton New York Fashion District!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Hilton New York Fashion District? Share your experiences!