“Good place for its price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Lower East Side

You added Comfort Inn Lower East Side to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Lower East Side
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   136 Ludlow Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #268 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Good place for its price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

A bit outdated but perfectly situated hotel with friendly staff and nice breakfast. Small but clean room including refrigerator and cable TV. Nice place for short-term stay to explore Manhattan and the rest.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is a good hotel to choose if you want to spend as much time as possible exploring NYC -- because you will not want to spend any time in your hotel room.

I stayed here because the location and price were right. Everything else, sadly, was wrong.

My room had strong musty smell. Nothing I could so would alleviate the odor (other than leaving the room for fresher air.) The carpets were dingy. The bathroom floor tiles were cracked and the door was warped by water.

The hallways and common areas were in similarly poor shape.

The two positive notes are -- the sheets appeared to be clean and the front desk staff were pleasant.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Very small rooms, outdated, smells like mold. Whoever rated as excellent does not stay in many hotels. Bathroom door warped and deteriorated. Rooms not clean. Carpet needs to be replaced. Breakfast was not very good. Ran out of coffee for a while.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Although it is not plush or luxurious, this hotel has much to commend.

It is located Lower East side.There are many restaurants within a short walking distance. It is very reasonably priced indeed. The staff at check-in are courteous, bright and helpful. Mr Dan is a very positive and friendly host. Since we reached the hotel very early in the morning they managed to clean the room and gave us quickly as promised.

Rooms are very tiny. pantry and common toilets are very tiny but clean though.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I really thought I had found the perfect hotel, Lower East Side (LES) near good restaurants & bars; and not far from the subway. I got a great price and thought I had hit the jackpot. I was wrong.

Before discussing the hotel itself, if you are going on a first time visit to New York, you should know that LES appears to be a little rough around the edges, but we had no problems. Despite that, if I was in my 20s or 30s I probably would stay on this side of town again. This area is perfect for the younger crowd, it reminds me a little of a college town, or maybe 6th street in Austin Texas, or Montrose in Houston. As two 50somethings, it was fine but we may have been the oldest people we saw there all week. Nevertheless, there are plenty of places to eat here, inside or out (some good, some just OK), and lots of places to stop and have a drink (both with or without alcohol). The subway is about a two block walk, done in about 5 minutes or less. But, if you are not comfortable with walking at night in a little bit of a riskier side of town, you might want to look elsewhere.

1. The elevator was broken for several days, we were on the 4th floor and the ice on the 8th. Nobody acknowledged the inconvenience or apologized.
2. The room smelled odd (bad), but that was made worse by number 6 below - they turned off the AC the moment we left the hotel. (Not sure how they knew when we left each time).
3. The noise at night from the street is LOUD. Ask for a room on the other side of the hotel if you can.
4. I requested a pillow several times, and was told someone would bring it to me. (remember the elevator was down) After the 3rd request and after SEVERAL hours, I had to go back downstairs to get it myself so I can have it to sleep with.
5. Breakfast food was very limited, but OK. They had egg patties (yes patties), sausage, bagels and cream cheese, coffee, a few assorted pastries (a little stale), and you can make a waffle.
6. Someone came in our room EVERYTIME we left and turned off the AC, no matter how long we were gone. In addition, someone picked up my tablet and unplugged it. I had plugged it in as we were leaving for breakfast, so it would be charged upon our return. (There is no question this occurred, since I stopped and walked back in for the purpose of plugging it in before we walked out of the door and it was moved when we returned).
6. The little refrigerator did not work, although the freezer did.
7. The bed was a little hard, but we were able to sleep OK; not great, but OK.
8. The internet was good most of the time, although the last night and last day it kept dropping.
9. They said they had cable TV, but it did not appear to actually be anything more than regular TV. We did not even have the basic NBC and CBS channels.
10. The room was TINY, the queen size bed left little room to move around.

Had there been just one or two of these things wrong, we may have rated the hotel higher. However, there were too many issues in one stay to make the visit a good one. With that said, the room was clean, the staff was polite, just not overly concerned with making the hotel worth returning to in the future. Consequently, we would not return to this hotel or recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask NOT to stay on the street side; request the other side of the hotel. Nightlife noise is greater...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

First, I need to talk about the neighborhood this hotel is located in. Rather than taking a very expensive taxi ride to arrive at the hotel, we opted for the more budget friendly metro system that had us taking a bus ride and subway to the Delancey/Essex station. It was unseasonably hot and our bags were getting heavier with each step we took. After making it up the 40 or 50 steps from the subway to surface, my love and I emerged into sunlight that revealed more grafitti than I had ever seen in my life - EVERYTHING had spray paint grafitti on it. Upon closer inspection the grafitti had grafitti sprayed on top of it. Mounds and piles of trashbags and loose garbage lined the narrow streets. The unusual high temperatures enhanced the smells as we weaved our way to the 136 Ludlow address.
We paid for the week in advance and carried our own bags to the 12 X 12 foot hotel room on the 4th floor (Room 404). The 11 story hotel has 4 rooms per floor with a single elevator and stairway. The queen-size bed and dresser in our room takes up the entire room with a 6 X 6 foot bathroom attached. The bed was comfortable, pillows soft and tiny, shower passable, and toilet flushed with no issues.
Now the ELEVATOR... Damn thing stopped working day 1 and did not work again until day 4. There are only 3 flights of stairs to get to the 4th floor, but the only ice machine is on the 8th floor and I NEED ice. We walk ALOT in NYC, so coming home to stairs in unusual heat and humidity was no fun. The day they finally got the elevator working, a cool front came through. My love said she thought this was a good stay - I wouldn't stay here again if it was half price - location, nearby food, bars, and price were top plusses - nasty neighborhood, room size, and the damn elevator being broken were my minuses. I could well imagine being mugged in this location, so I cannot give this hotel anything but a "poor" recommendation.

Room Tip: Keep looking
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

If you want to explore a great little neighborhood, stay in the Lower East Side. There are many restaurants, coffee shops, bars, etc. to explore here. This hotel is close to the Delancey St. subway stop; you can easily walk it even with luggage, (It's a big trek to Times Square if that is your goal; it's definitely a subway or cab ride to get there. The cost of the cab is probably worth it because you will pay a lower hotel rate here). The room was tiny but did have a coffee maker, mini fridge and a couple of complimentary bottles of water, which was appreciated. It was clean but simple. There was also a free breakfast which had a pretty good selection including some hot foods.

Room Tip: There is only one elevator which can be frustrating if you are on a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Lower East Side? Share your experiences!