“Tiny Rooms for reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Lower East Side

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn Lower East Side to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Lower East Side
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   136 Ludlow Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #246 of 455 Hotels in New York City
“Tiny Rooms for reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Although it is not plush or luxurious, this hotel has much to commend.

It is located Lower East side.There are many restaurants within a short walking distance. It is very reasonably priced indeed. The staff at check-in are courteous, bright and helpful. Mr Dan is a very positive and friendly host. Since we reached the hotel very early in the morning they managed to clean the room and gave us quickly as promised.

Rooms are very tiny. pantry and common toilets are very tiny but clean though.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I really thought I had found the perfect hotel, Lower East Side (LES) near good restaurants & bars; and not far from the subway. I got a great price and thought I had hit the jackpot. I was wrong.

Before discussing the hotel itself, if you are going on a first time visit to New York, you should know that LES appears to be a little rough around the edges, but we had no problems. Despite that, if I was in my 20s or 30s I probably would stay on this side of town again. This area is perfect for the younger crowd, it reminds me a little of a college town, or maybe 6th street in Austin Texas, or Montrose in Houston. As two 50somethings, it was fine but we may have been the oldest people we saw there all week. Nevertheless, there are plenty of places to eat here, inside or out (some good, some just OK), and lots of places to stop and have a drink (both with or without alcohol). The subway is about a two block walk, done in about 5 minutes or less. But, if you are not comfortable with walking at night in a little bit of a riskier side of town, you might want to look elsewhere.

1. The elevator was broken for several days, we were on the 4th floor and the ice on the 8th. Nobody acknowledged the inconvenience or apologized.
2. The room smelled odd (bad), but that was made worse by number 6 below - they turned off the AC the moment we left the hotel. (Not sure how they knew when we left each time).
3. The noise at night from the street is LOUD. Ask for a room on the other side of the hotel if you can.
4. I requested a pillow several times, and was told someone would bring it to me. (remember the elevator was down) After the 3rd request and after SEVERAL hours, I had to go back downstairs to get it myself so I can have it to sleep with.
5. Breakfast food was very limited, but OK. They had egg patties (yes patties), sausage, bagels and cream cheese, coffee, a few assorted pastries (a little stale), and you can make a waffle.
6. Someone came in our room EVERYTIME we left and turned off the AC, no matter how long we were gone. In addition, someone picked up my tablet and unplugged it. I had plugged it in as we were leaving for breakfast, so it would be charged upon our return. (There is no question this occurred, since I stopped and walked back in for the purpose of plugging it in before we walked out of the door and it was moved when we returned).
6. The little refrigerator did not work, although the freezer did.
7. The bed was a little hard, but we were able to sleep OK; not great, but OK.
8. The internet was good most of the time, although the last night and last day it kept dropping.
9. They said they had cable TV, but it did not appear to actually be anything more than regular TV. We did not even have the basic NBC and CBS channels.
10. The room was TINY, the queen size bed left little room to move around.

Had there been just one or two of these things wrong, we may have rated the hotel higher. However, there were too many issues in one stay to make the visit a good one. With that said, the room was clean, the staff was polite, just not overly concerned with making the hotel worth returning to in the future. Consequently, we would not return to this hotel or recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask NOT to stay on the street side; request the other side of the hotel. Nightlife noise is greater...
Pasadena, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

First, I need to talk about the neighborhood this hotel is located in. Rather than taking a very expensive taxi ride to arrive at the hotel, we opted for the more budget friendly metro system that had us taking a bus ride and subway to the Delancey/Essex station. It was unseasonably hot and our bags were getting heavier with each step we took. After making it up the 40 or 50 steps from the subway to surface, my love and I emerged into sunlight that revealed more grafitti than I had ever seen in my life - EVERYTHING had spray paint grafitti on it. Upon closer inspection the grafitti had grafitti sprayed on top of it. Mounds and piles of trashbags and loose garbage lined the narrow streets. The unusual high temperatures enhanced the smells as we weaved our way to the 136 Ludlow address.
We paid for the week in advance and carried our own bags to the 12 X 12 foot hotel room on the 4th floor (Room 404). The 11 story hotel has 4 rooms per floor with a single elevator and stairway. The queen-size bed and dresser in our room takes up the entire room with a 6 X 6 foot bathroom attached. The bed was comfortable, pillows soft and tiny, shower passable, and toilet flushed with no issues.
Now the ELEVATOR... Damn thing stopped working day 1 and did not work again until day 4. There are only 3 flights of stairs to get to the 4th floor, but the only ice machine is on the 8th floor and I NEED ice. We walk ALOT in NYC, so coming home to stairs in unusual heat and humidity was no fun. The day they finally got the elevator working, a cool front came through. My love said she thought this was a good stay - I wouldn't stay here again if it was half price - location, nearby food, bars, and price were top plusses - nasty neighborhood, room size, and the damn elevator being broken were my minuses. I could well imagine being mugged in this location, so I cannot give this hotel anything but a "poor" recommendation.

Room Tip: Keep looking
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

If you want to explore a great little neighborhood, stay in the Lower East Side. There are many restaurants, coffee shops, bars, etc. to explore here. This hotel is close to the Delancey St. subway stop; you can easily walk it even with luggage, (It's a big trek to Times Square if that is your goal; it's definitely a subway or cab ride to get there. The cost of the cab is probably worth it because you will pay a lower hotel rate here). The room was tiny but did have a coffee maker, mini fridge and a couple of complimentary bottles of water, which was appreciated. It was clean but simple. There was also a free breakfast which had a pretty good selection including some hot foods.

Room Tip: There is only one elevator which can be frustrating if you are on a high floor.
Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

That's what the sign in the lobby said, 4½ stars (OK, they're really circles) from Trip Advisor. Not. Even. Close. That said, we'll probably be back. This typical chain hotel is on Ludlow Street between Houston and Delancey, which is to say a long way from where most visitors to New York want to stay or even visit. To that, I'd say they need to broaden themselves. This is a great part of the real New York, where people live and work and where many of them go for wonderful food and a really terrific night life. The hotel is easily reached by subway (a couple blocks from the Delancey Street/Essex Street stop [F, J, M, Z-trains], around eight from Grand Street [B and D] or Bowery [J and Z]). A taxi back to Penn Station cost us about twelve bucks plus a generous tip for the cabbie who muscled our bags in and out of the trunk. The lobby is sparse, but the desk clerk was helpful and friendly. There's only one slow elevator, but that didn't really pose a problem except for the few hours it was out of service. The bedrooms are very small, almost tiny. No closet, just an open armoire. The in-room fridge is small, but it has a freezer (that was tiny); no microwave; typical lousy in-room coffee, but there's a great local coffee shop a block away. The bathroom is about as small as you can get with a full tub & shower, but it's adequate. The only ice machine is on the eighth floor; no soda/snack machines, I think. We enjoyed what we laughingly referred to as "our veranda": there is a rooftop "deck" on the seventh floor. It's really just a flat roof, with sticky-in-the-sun rolled roofing, a small table, and two lawn chairs. But it sure was pleasant on a warm spring afternoon and a glass of rosé. Even though this is only a "good" hotel at best, it's quite a bargain and is a great location for those who are a little adventurous and like to explore new neighborhoods. It's definitely one to consider.

Room Tip: Floors 8 and above have only two rooms each (4 each below). Higher rooms would be quieter as the &q...
Shelby, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Very recently, we much enjoyed a weekend stay at this hotel.

Hotel Staff: All were friendly, professional, and very helpful. Special thanks to Sam and Angel who were so kind and invaluable assets for any information/recommendations/tips about the area.

Location: The Lower East Side is one of NYC's "emerging" neighborhoods. Lots of (reasonably priced, for NYC) restaurants and bars, within a short walk from the hotel. We found the neighborhood to be very safe. For a great burger, try Mikey's next door.

Room: We had a ground floor room which faced the rear of the hotel. Very clean and well maintained. Bath was above average size with an abundance of hot water. Tip: The lower east side can become, especially on the weekend, a big party spot for the younger crowd. Our rear facing room eliminated any street noise issues and we slept like babies.

Great find in the City! Reasonable rates + comfortable room + super staff = Great value.

Again, many thanks to Sam and Angel!

Room Tip: To avoid weekend street noise, choose a rear facing room.
Pomona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

This was my first stay in the Lower Eastside of Manhattan and I was very pleased with my stay. I must point out that employees were very kind and helpful. Angel, Maintenance Superintendent of the hotel exemplifies the best New York has to offer. He was a caring and thoughtful person who went over and beyond to make a stay for six high school students from Pomona, California an outstanding and memorable one. Angel was such a great ambassador - it felt like we were at The Plaza, New York! Thank you Angel and may God bless you and your family. See you again friend.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn Lower East Side? Share your experiences!