“Poor value - east village food tour” 2 of 5 stars
Review of New York Food Tours

New York Food Tours
113 East 13th St., New York City, NY 10003 (Greenwich Village)
347-559-0111
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #182 of 810 Activities in New York City
Type: Tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: New York Food Tours takes tourists and locals alike to experience the colorful history, unique diverse culture and progressive development of New York City through food. We offer several theme-based food tours. Our Food Tours are focused on: * Historic Neighborhoods * Ethnic Cultures and Cooking * Ethnic Vegetarian Foods
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Wellington, New Zealand
37 attraction reviews
“Poor value - east village food tour”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

Having read all the reviews about the food and Candy we paid our $45 each

We have been on a number of walking tours this year in NY and in Europe over summer - so was looking forward to the food adventure

Unortunately I was completely underwhelmed with this tour - the amount and level of information was just adequate - the food was limited and nothing special.

The only positive was Candy's recommendation for a local taco bar that we tried out a few days later.

I would not recommend these guys

I have heard good things about a food tour put on by the free walking tour people who we used for a Harlem tour

Visited November 2014
foodtour, General Manager at New York Food Tours, responded to this review, November 21, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry that you found the food was limited. However, over 95% of our customers found the amount of food we provided plenty and the tastings are unique and delicious. You can see the feedback here on TA.

Our slogan is to appreciate diversity through food. We integrate and feature a wide variety of ethnic tastings (e.g. Asian, Ukrainian, and African) esp. in our E. Village Tour. All tastings are listed on the registration page. So, there shouldn’t be any surprise. In fact, most attendees enjoyed exploring and experiencing new flavors and tastings very much.

But, we do understand that not all people are up for the diverse experience. Therefore, we offer tours (e.g. Ultimate NY Food & Culture Tour in the Village and Everything Chocolate Tour) including more typical local tastings (e.g. pizza, cupcake, and cannoli). They are as much fun!

In addition, we understand that some people would be interested in taking free tours especially if you are quite price sensitive, have plenty of free time on hands, and do not mind waiting for the whole group of 20 or 30 people getting their food individually at each tasting stop. Free tours will not be personal but it will be crowded and time consuming.

On the other hand, our company, New York Food Tours, features small and personal group tours (4-12 people). Our guides are friendly and knowledgeable about food and history of NYC. Thus, if you want to feel like having a local friend, who also happens to be a professional tour guide, taking you around the city, register for our tour(s)!

All the best,
Ngan

Hong Kong, China
“An excellent food tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014

I am so happy that I joined the New York Food Tours today which gave me a wonderful tasting of an array of NY food in the West side of the city. From authentic Italian appetiser Aracini (deep fried rice balls with creamy and cheesy risotto inside), grilled cheese, Falafel (mid East flavour), the best pizza in town, to the real thick hot chocolate (reminds me of La Maison in HK), Molly's cupcakes (winner of the Cupcakes War! Oh Wow!) and a crispy Cannoli, each bite of the food stimulates my appetite. The tour also leads me to a quick review of American background and a relaxing walk in the Washington Square area.

The tour guide is a super friendly and knowledgeable person who has great expertise in food tasting and can talk about the history in a humorous way. I can see a good interaction in the group too. I highly recommend it to anyone who is visiting NY next.

Visited September 2014
Nashville
68 attraction reviews
“Everything Chocolate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014

When they say "Everything Chocolate", they mean EVERYTHING CHOCOLATE! I love chocolate, but found I could eat only about 1/2 of what was offered.

Before we left, my niece said she really wanted to do this tour (she's 10) and so imagine my dismay when I got an email and text that the tour would be canceled because not enough had signed up for it.

Since there was only one person short to make the tour, I paid for an extra person because I wanted her to take the tour.

She is a skinny little thing, but she ate everything we got.

The guide was very nice and informative and tried to engage the kids. This was not the best day for my nephew, as he was getting homesick and therefore, began acting silly. I had to fuss at him a couple of times. So my suggestion for this tour, if you go with kids is to bear in mind that you are definitely going to get a lot of sugar, but also there's a lot of history. Since both my niece and nephew are lovers of history, I thought this would be a super tour for them, but it ended up being a little boring for my nephew.

That aside, it was enjoyable. We stopped off at a farmer's market and got to sample lots of fresh fruit and vegetables as well.

The guide did not act as if we were a nuisance or that her day was shot because there were only 3 of us. She was really great. Her name, by the way, is Candy.....quite appropriate for the tour!

Visited September 2014
Montreal, Canada
“mmm....very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We were in New York on july 21st for a couple of days and we tried the Hell's kitchen food tour. It is a really good way to find many restaurants and new places you would not find otherwise, our guide was very nice and new what she was talking about (Nancy Paris) and in the same time, we visited a part of NY. it a good activity to do in group or solo as you meet people and everyone is so nice. We tasted alligator (it is really good) and my favorite was the hush puppies.....I recommend this tour, it is a 2h fun walk (and I hate walking), also you will discover cheap places to eat, but good, as everything is very expensive in time square.

Visited July 2014
Oviedo, Florida
“Super Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The Ultimate New York Food Tour was a lot of fun, It was great to walk around the neighborhood, the food was great. Our favorite sample was the rice ball, and the cheese shop was amazing.

Visited July 2014