“This place is no longer available” 1 of 5 stars
Review of East 73rd and York Ave Apartment

East 73rd and York Ave Apartment
We can't find prices for this hotel
East 73rd and York Ave Apartment
Save Saved
You added East 73rd and York Ave Apartment to your Saves list
1374 York Avenue, New York City, NY 10021 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #390 of 452 hotels in New York City
Florida
“This place is no longer available”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I telephoned today to inquire on this place and the gentleman explained that is has been converted to apartments that require a 1yr lease.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lakes Region, New Hamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed here twice now in past two years while I underwent medical studies for a clinical trial at Hospital for Special Surgery. This is literally 2 blocks from there and WAY more affordable than the $500 and up a night Helmsley nearly next door! Worth every cent and staff was helpful and nice. Rooms were clean. We didn't share a bath but some rooms may have that. I would stay here again and on trip brought my teenage kids and had a great time of it.

This IS NOT Fraudulent- this is a charity that is jewish run and worth every penny, please do your research before you blame the place for credit card fraud!

Room Tip: Has more than one building, not sure which would be good rooms but all seemed decent.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I traveled together with my students and colleagues and stayed here 1 week, This apartments are a charity. And if it was a true business, then you would be paying at least the double. The rooms are much better than dorms, in my opinion. You share a shower and a restroom with other 2 or 3 rooms staying 2-3 people in each. If your "roommates" are polite and easygoing, then it is just perfect. There is a stove, fridge in some rooms or a shared fridge, a PC with internet connection. There is one locker in the room, and you can lock your door if needed, except for the rooms facing fire exit.
If you consider we only paid 17 USD + tax for our stay in double or triple rooms, means 34 - 51 USD + tax a room, it is pure charity. Thanks to the people keeping and running this place.
The neighborhood is very safe and quiet compare to downtown however I still recommend a room on the second floor and up and facing 73rd street instead of York av.
If you talk with the staff in a friendly way then you will get a positivity in return, otherwise they are too busy to be friendly with everyone in 120 rooms :-) They are sure helpful at anytime.
If you have a lot to do in downtown then I suggest buying a metro card with unlimited use, that would save both time and money, which together would compensate staying slightly outside downtown, still very central.
If still anything goes slower than you might have expected, please remember that this is pure charity and you should practice tolerance. I liked truly the people I met. I would return, no question on that.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

I suspect they are fraudulent......I tried making a reservation, and right after they took my deposit, I had all sorts of weird fraudulent activity on my account. I think they must sell your credit card info. or something.....I called to cancel my reservation, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to speak to a live person. Take my advice, this is not worth the headache, go find a place to stay that is more reputable.

Stayed May 2010
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

After trying to find somewhere as cheap as possible for 3 of us to stay in New York for 10 nights and struggling, we came across this gem. Turned up at about 1am with all our luggage and had absolutely no idea where it was, because the entrance is listed as a synagogue. However after buzzing to get in, one of the guys let us in (who was lovely and helpful) showed us to our room.

We had one out of two bedrooms in an apartment, which included a kitchenette, bathroom, a couple of chairs and a PC with free internet! We were sharing the apartment with a couple of Swiss girls and was no problem at all. We had a single bed and then stairs to a mezzanine bit in the room with a double mattress (quite close to the ceiling). Had a TV and air con which was an added bonus as this wasn't expected.

The price we paid was ridiculously cheap and this is the best bargain we have ever found! Really good location, a few blocks from the subway (about 10 mins walk) but still in walking distance of pretty much everything (Midtown, Central Park etc). Not the most amazingly comfortable or romantic place to stay but all we did was sleep there and we were out all day anyway, so was perfect. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

GOOD:
We couldn't expect any more comfort on posh Upper Eastside NY for such a low price. The guy at the reception was very "non chalant" but always friendly. He'd always adjust any occuring problems (and there were several) asap. The location on Upper Eastside is very secure, clean and quiet - although the appartement house wasn't sometimes quiet alike. Via Subway 6 you can reach all destinations quiet easy and Central Park and museum mile are very close by.
Our room was well equipped (A/C - thank god, two comfy beds, TV - food channel rules!) and though we didn't use the kitchen it seemed to be well equipped as well. Internet (shared by three rooms) was also a blessing. Sanitary staff came once a day for taking the garbage and I think once or twice a week for cleaning (we just saw 1 cockroach - and it was dead!). Our flat mates were almost unvisible but nice when we met each other on the corridor. They just could have take their dirty towels etc. with them when they left, since the staff doesn't seem to know, who is staying at the moment and who left already. By this there is sometimes a little accumulation of food and shampoos of former inhabitants.

BAD:
At first it was unpleasant that we couldn't lock our personal room - it seems that only the appartement doors can be locked (and the bathroom door of course) - but we got used to it, since there was a lockable cabinet in our room. We just always took our valuables with us.
When we arrived there were no fresh sheets on our bed; we just received them after asking the next morning. Kind of disgusting...
Then one day the toilet didn't flush, but they fixed it until the same evening. And one morning we didn't have warm water, but they announced it via notes in the staircase.
Sometimes the receptionist is not on his place, but then you just have to call his number - he might be out for Lunch.
The Subway is really quiet far away - about 15-20min - which can be annoying after a day of walking up and down the city or when you only want to go to bed asap. But it was ok and we used it as an extra workout to loose some calories of the "healthy" American food. ;)
Conclusion:
Since we were glad to have found such an inexpensive place to stay and despite all the little problems, I would recommend the appartment house! But maybe the Departement of Building will close it sooner or later since it is not an official hostel or hotel (there were some notes on the entrance 2 days before we left). I only want to mention it, since you want to be absolutely sure about your stay. But if you are as flexible as we were: just make sure, that your appartement has a fire escape and a smoke detector and everything should be fine while you're staying.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I was a bit wary of this apartment rental because it seemed suspiciously cheap for the Upper East Side and there weren't many reviews. Man, did this place exceed my expectations!!
I went with two friends and we stayed in a private room with a full/single bunk and a full loft bed. We had a kitchenette a sofa and an armchair in the sitting area and a spacious bathroom with a tub. All for a cool $100 and change a night. There was even a huge closet in the bedroom and one in the sitting area. Unheard of for NYC!
The place looks to be newly renovated, with appliances in good shape, a new microwave, two! flatscreen TVs and a desktop computer with free internet.
The area isn't exactly the Upper East Side you see in movies or Gossip Girl, but it's completely safe and only about 6 blocks from the subway. We walked to Grant Park almost everyday.
This is an amazing little place and you should go here before the owners get enough positive feedback and bookings to raise their prices!!
Best $100 room you will find in NYC. Trust me, I've been looking.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to East 73rd and York Ave Apartment? Share your experiences!