“Truly the best of all the best” 5 of 5 stars

Crosby Street Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   79 Crosby Street, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #15 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Tampa, Florida
“Truly the best of all the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

While probably not known as a "family hotel," the Crosby is certainly the warmest, and most intimate hotel I've ever stayed in.

Why? The answer is simple: the staff looks after you as if you were their family.

And while the hotel is definitely a hip and elegant place to be -- YOU, the guest -- are what the experience is all about, not any kind of pop culture around you.

Everyone from the wonderful managers Annelle and Kathrin, to Orlando the Engineer, makes your experience and every interaction you have, memorable. Any problem or question or need you have, is taken care of, virtually immediately.

I have stayed in beautiful big name hotels all over the world, and have never had this kind of service. You see, it goes beyond mere "service," because you don't really get a sense of "duty" here. It's more of a genuine desire to help make your hotel experience, and your life, easier and more fulfilling.

I know this sounds bizarre, but it's the truth. It's kind of like, how you'd imagine you'd want people to act and treat you in a perfect world - with kindness, compassion, and an uplifting, playful spirit.

You'll find this, and more, at the Crosby.

As to the decor, I don't care what they are charging you -- the amount of money you'd have to spend to put a place like this together, and the details involved in creating such clean lines in an aesthetic sense -- isn't going to be made back in your stay, no matter how long you're there.

Also, you should know I am NOT a celebrity, a heavy hitter, or someone who is high maintenance. I'm a guy from the Bronx who wears jeans and t-shirts who's done OK for himself, and that's it. The staff had no ulterior upsell motives in dealing with me, other than their desire to do the right thing and make you happy.

Having said this, I don't care who you are, how much you earn or what you do for a living - stay at The Crosby for a once in a lifetime experience like no other. And who knows? Maybe you'll run into me on my next stay, as well.

Because one thing's for sure - I will be back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

hotel is beautiful but seems to be run by 20 somethings who don't quite have it all together. Stayed here the last four nights and was underwhelmed with the concierge (very hard to understand what he was telling me about restaurants), and then last night at midnight I was told that if I wanted to get my 20 year old daughter a taxi I would have to run down to Spring Street and get it myself. The desk attendant said he couldn't leave and his manager had left for awhile. But there was another staff member standing right in front of the desk who didn't move an inch to help me. After I sprinted for the taxi I went back to my room and filled out a breakfast request and hung it on my door so that I would get my coffee at wake up time. When I realized they had missed the appointed time I called and sure enough they had no idea I had left a breakfast request on the door. While they didn't charge me for it, it still put me late to start my morning. For the price they charge the service should be better.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

We are long established fans of the Firmdale experience, and were therefore very excited about the prospect of our first trip to the Crosby Street Hotel. On arrival we were not disappointed. The build quality, design and finish of the hotel is first class and echoed everything we had experienced in the past at the Soho, the Haymarket and the Covent Garden.

But that is just one aspect of a great hotel experience and at this colossal price the service has to be equally fantastic. I regret, that with a few positive exceptions (wonderful welcome and good housekeeping) service here was consistently second rate.

Twice in the morning we asked the concierge to make us reservations for dinner, twice they a) failed to leave a message confirming them b) failed to get is in to our chosen restaurants c) failed to book an alternative even on a 'just in case basis'. Generally we found the concierge service to be begrudging and inefficient.

The bar service was surly and slow. When you are the only couple in the bar you should not have to wait five minutes to order and when you ask for the bill should not be told by the only member of staff you can track down that they are not your server and they will have to go and get someone else. That attitude is one of rank laziness and is inexcusable.

These are just two examples of consistently slow, miserable, and attitude ridden service that we experienced. The sad thing is I know that they can do much better, particularly as Chris (Head concierge who was sadly not working the days we were at the hotel) is an old favourite from the Soho and is first class. This must be a recruitment and training issue, but for us has meant that we will not be in a rush to return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Kit Kemp and her team have done an extraordinary job marrying style, service and location all in one. Nestled in Soho's vintage streets known for shopping, dining and bar hopping, this hotel offers a unique repose for wary business travellers and those looking for a rewarding night out. If you haven't been yet, just visit the bar and indulge in the imaginative wall decor while sipping your cocktail. The lounge offers peace and a fridge based on an honor system. Ideal also for special occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, press launches. The cinema below hosts sufficient seats for private screenings. Service impeccable. Simply fabulous.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Copenhagen Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We are a small family of two adult and one 9 year old child.
We were in New York to celebrate my (I'm the mom) 40th Birthday. From home, we could not decide between this hotel and the Thompson LES, so we had originally booked 4 nights at Crosby and 3 nights at the LES. But we fell totally in love with the Crosby, and after 2 nights we asked if it was possible to stay for a full week at our lovely Junior Suite on the 10th floor. At first, it seemed as if they were fully booked, but the staff did everything they could and we ended up staying 7 nights in the same room.
The room: Upon arrival, we were given a room on the 4th floor overlooking the courtyard. We are big fans of light and views, and asked if they could put us in another room. Again, staff did everything they could and finally gave us the most perfect room located on the 10th floor - great views over the LES, Soho and Brooklyn Bridge in the distance. Big window, beautifully designed, enormous bathroom with tub and shower. The room was not ready for us, but we were treated to a drink on the house in the lovely library room (hotel guests only) while they made up the room for us.
The hotel is gorgeous - we love the Firmdale hotels in London, but this hotel really beats them all. The restaurant, the library room - every-where's quirky and beautiful and a real treat to the eye.
The location is (in my opinion) the BEST in NYC! Restaurants, galleries, shops, cafes - all are within walking distance. And the subway is just around the corner.
What really makes this hotel stand out is the staff - nothing was too much trouble... they even remembered my birthday and gave me a tray of cupcakes.
The only thing they need to straighten out is the service at breakfast. The breakfast staff seemed confused and disorganized. We had to ask several times for EVERYTHING - But everything that finally did arrive on our table was delicious, and we had it included, so this is just a minor comment, but someone ought to help the staff organizing the routines at breakfast. There was a lot of running around and forgetting everything on the way...
That said, we really did enjoy our stay and will not hesitate to recommend it! It is expensive, but worth it if you appreciate beautiful designs and comfort and a small hotel in a superb location. We are looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
stockton on tees
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We have just returned fron a family celebration in NY, which ranged in ages fro 6 - 82!. The Crosby hotel was perfect, the staff were friendly and very helpful, every need was catered for, even milk and cookies for the youngsters. The rooms are fabulous...the type that want to make you decorate when you go home!!! Beds are the most comfortable I have slept in. The location is perfect, quiet, trendy and right where you want to be! Overall if we were ever lucky enough to return to NY, this hotel would be first on our list.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

Overall: Posh, terrific design, high comfort, friendly service but could be improved.

We stayed at the Crosby Street Hotel for one night in May on a holiday weekend. The hotel did not seem exceptionally crowded. Many New Yorkers (especially local Soho residents) tend to leave town on the weekends, especially holiday weekends, so there were mainly tourists and out-of-towners around Soho and in The Crosby Bar. We came for a night away / special event though we typically travel for business. This hotel clearly strikes me as leisure and trend oriented unless your business is in arts, culture, film, media, etc.

ACCOMMODATION
Overall: Excellent. We stayed on the 7th floor with views overlooking Crosby Street. The lead-pane look alike window is spectacular--one whole wall of the room, floor to ceiling. The window makes the room. Even though the design elements are not necessarily what I'd pick for my home, they are wonderfully done. Elegant without being stuffy, comfortable but also a bit witty. Heavy drapes, window seat cushions, comfortable chairs, superbly designed closet, solid cabinets and draws, superb fabric-covered walls. The bed was fabulously comfortable and the linens (in the bath as well) were excellent: Frette. Ample and well-placed outlets (rare in many hotels). The bathroom was floor to ceiling marble with high-quality hardware and a heated towel rack. The room was large by New York standards and feels much larger because of the window. And just excellent quality all around. Con: The A/C unit is loud and seemingly impossible to control or adjust. This affected our sleep quality (as did the very loud banging from a neighbor in the middle of the night, and the street garbage truck, but that's not in the hotel's control).

DINING
We had dinner at The Crosby Bar (and have also had drinks there in the past) and drinks and lunch in the private outdoor courtyard. Again, great design in the restaurant/bard and outdoor courtyard. Comfortable, spacious, cleverly done. The food was quite good, particularly the appetizers and small plates (caprese salad, lamb tenderloin salad). Lovely, prompt and courteous service, though one of the waiters was young and a bit cocky and too casual (British public school boy?) The restaurant had the usual (for New York) ridiculously loud dance music on--preposterous, but certainly not unique to the hotel. We also ordered room service for breakfast, to arrive b/w 7:45-8:00AM, which arrived at 8:25AM.

LOCATION
Fantastic if you want to be downtown and in the thick of things. Right near terrific restaurants (from Savoy to Balthazar to Hampton Chutney to Raoul's) and plenty of street appeal. Crosby Street itself is one of the most charming streets in downtown Manhattan and is relatively quiet for that part of town. The curb appeal of the hotel is also quite high as it is set back from the street, though they could do more with the area out front (plantings, benches, etc.). There is a absolutely huge American flag hanging out front, which seemed out of place. The interior spaces of the hotel are fabulous design-wise and in terms of comfort. Bright and airy without being stark and cold.

SERVICE
They have to do better. Everyone was friendly and courteous, though the staff seemed to be as engaged in people watching as anything else and they were a bit too casual for the prices they are charging for rooms. As noted above, room service in the morning was delayed, though pre-ordered. Lovely person at check-in but forgot to note: a) that the rate we'd booked included breakfast (and didn't provide specifics on how this would work with substitutions, etc) and a late check out; and b) that we'd need to call down front to get wireless code once we got upstairs (though we asked about this). Small issues, to be sure, but again, the overall feeling we got was that the service wasn't quite what it should be for this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Crosby Street Hotel? Share your experiences!