“Swinging London in New York” 5 of 5 stars

Crosby Street Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   79 Crosby Street, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #15 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Ascot,
“Swinging London in New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I have to admit to being a regular at Firmdale hotels - Haymarket, Knightsbridge, Soho in London, so i was looking forward to a trip to New York with guests at staying at Crosby Street.

It is every bit as good as the London properties - it has all the individuality and quirky elements that make Firmdale one of the coollest hotel groups right not and yet it also has its location in SoHo New York and an undeiable American edge to the buzz.

The rooms are not cheap but some of the best in New York in terms of comfort, amenity and style and probably the best beds I have ever slept in throughout the US. They are also quiet and the floor to ceiling windows give a real loft-style feel.

The staff are just fantastic and concierge was right on the money in response to every request.

The restaurant is good value and really buzzing with a young and arty crowd. Service is a little slow by New York standards but of a very high standard.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on the recommendation of a friend. What a truly beautiful experience we had. Nothing was any trouble for the staff. The first room, while lovely, was a little masculine for my taste so I asked if I could change to something prettier. The Luxury room we moved to was light & bright with lime green & white walls & bedhead on the 6th floor. The bed was huge and so comfortable. Full height windows which actually opened slightly if you wanted fresh air - a bonus in any hotel. Bathroom had 2 basins (although the first room only had one basin in bathroom) and large walk in shower. Plenty of white fluffy towells and lots of Miller Harris toilettries. We were given complimentary water, a little "sleep well" spray and a mini Miller Harris candle. Bar Fridge was full of Dylan Candy Bars, 1/2 bottles of champers, Dean & Deluca nuts and a map of Soho.

My plane was leaving late in the afternoon so I asked if it was possible for a late check out. No problem whatsoever - I could keep the room until 3.00 at no extra charge.

I had lunch in the restaurant twice and loved it and we also had breakfast twice. Wi fi is free - another bonus.

Cant wait to go back. It is rare to find a hotel that ticks all the boxes like this one.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

We spent four nights at Crosby Street hotel for a leisure/ business trip in March 2010. We're familiar with the Covent Garden hotel in London so knew Crosby Street was going to be pretty special. It still surpassed our expectations. The decor is fantastic - creative, tasteful, contemporary and stylish, whilst also feeling extremely welcoming and comfortable. The staff were incredible - helpful, friendly and proactive. We really had an amazing time. If only all hotels could be like this...!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

My husband I usually stay at the Mercer Hotel but decided this was the year to stay somewhere different and so glad we did. Great Hotel, excellent location, very quirky interior, loved our room where the walls were covered in dark grey pinstripe material, with pink accessories, small bathroom with only a shower though - I didn't look to see if some rooms have baths. We had snacks in the restaurant/bar which were very good and late night drinks - atmosphere is buzzy without being intrusive - I loved this hotel, I can't praise it enough and it's great that Soho now has a hotel that is slightly weird and wacky and does not subscribe to the usual sleek modern industrial look of other hotels in the area like the Soho Grand, which I liked and my husband hated and 60 thompson which my husband liked and I didn't. Price wise, I think it is just slightly cheaper that the Mercer but the exchange rate being what it is, everything is expensive.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

I went with my Mother to New York and wanted to stay in SOHO. Having stayed at other hotels downtown in the past, I was looking for a place where the rooms were not the size of a shoebox. We found it. We took a junior suite which is like a large room with a huge king size bed and large sofa. Our room was overlooking the courtyard. The bedroom was beautifully appointed and the bed was heaven. The bathroom is white and grey marble and had two sinks, a bath and separate shower. Even though we never saw them, the room felt like the housekeepers were always there. Gorgeous fluffy towels, bathrobes, divine amenities. I have stayed in the Soho in London (same hotel group) and they just get it right. The Crosby Street Hotel has an ecclectic charm that i don't think anywhere else has. Im into contemporary art so this was like living in a modern gallery.
The restaurant/ bar is also wonderful and the staff are a mix of Australians/ Americans and English. ONe of the conceierges organised us tickets and restaurant bookings. They were all great, very helpful and made our stay wonderful.
Crosby Street is around the corner from the famous Dean and Deluca and also Balthazar and was close enough to all Soho has to offer. If you are looking to stay downtown this is the place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

New York is my favourite city and it never ceases to impress. More often that not the Hotel will let it down, as a hotelier myself I am quite particalular on the details and underlying integrity of product. The Soho location is great and Crosby St is a quiet 'oasis', I suppose if you are in NY on business it might be a bt of a ride uptown - its worth it though. The moment we arrived we were greeted by real people that understood hospitality, they introduced themselves and remanined 'engaged' throughout our 4 night stay. The design is incredibly detailed, at once playful & eclectic, say good bye to hard edged minimalism, this place oozes comfort. The design has maximised natutral light which is so often a rarity and if you are lucky enough to be on one of the higher floors the views can be amazing. Even the lower floors look out on either the cobbled street or courtyard with intereting sculptures. The floor to ceiling windows also open! There are also some great public areas, some of which are for house guests only, including a courtyard which looked amazing after the huge snow fall, however I'm sure would be a highlight in spring. The bar and restaurant were very good, food very good, great martini's and as an Aussie it was exciting to find staff that could be trained on making a decent coffee, in a country that thinks coffee and Starbucks are related its a great asset! I could go on, however it will all be more of the same! Treat yourself and whilst not a bargain its an experience that is full of exceeded expectations. I was told the the owners brought over some of their key staff from their London hotels, it shows, they undersand service and its a pleasant change from the era of out of work actors or models attempting to play hotel!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Perth, Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

My husband and I were lucky enough to spend Xmas and New Year in New York in the luxurious, but homely, Crosby Street Hotel. With all the warmth that is often lacking in high end hotels the staff made us feel welcome and nothing was ever too much trouble.

We had Xmas lunch in the dining room and the food and the service were both perfect. The bed was absolutely fantastic and the granite and oak bathroom was superbly appointed with Miller Harris products in abundance.

The artwork throughout the hotel was amazing and we often enjoyed coffee in the Drawing Room while looking out onto the outdoor terrace which was filled with snow covered sculptures and lanterns.

The view, from the large warehouse-style windows in the bedroom of the quaint cobbled street and surrounding buildings, was both peaceful and inviting.

Many delightful Soho restaurants and shops and fun places like Greenwich, Tribeca and Chelsea were all in easy walking distance.

We can't wait to stay at the hotel in warmer weather and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who loves casual luxury on a large scale!

Many of the Soho shops and restaurants were

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Crosby Street Hotel? Share your experiences!