“A Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 453 Hotels in New York City
FL
“A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Crosby Street Hotel is a gem in every way.
Beautiful, spacious(by NY standards) rooms with magnificent city views.
Most importantly the staff is the most attentive group we have ever encountered in NYC.
Be sure to grab a drink in the library after dinner....heaven.
The location is ideal with shopping, food and culture at your door step.
Nowhere better in the Big Apple.

Room Tip: Don't stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I chose the Crosby Street Hotel because it felt a bit 'different', not just the bland hotel chain option. I wasn't disappointed - this hotel has character. Quirky, beautifully furnished, but still friendly and laid back.
The rooms are cosy, not just art installations as in some design hotels, and a great deal of care has obviously gone into providing all the little things that make a difference. Great minibar too!
The staff are welcoming and friendly. I'd agree with the reviewers who have commented on breakfast: it's not that it's bad, just doesn't live up to the rest of the hotel, and it's a bit crowded and rushed. Why bother when you have Balthazar at the end of the street, or Dean and Deluca for takeaway? I was glad I booked room only as it gives an incentive to explore and it would be a shame not to since you're spoilt for choice in this part of NYC.

Room Tip: I felt it was worth it to pay extra for a room on a higher floor. Although facing the street it get...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I live in New York but this is the hotel I recommend for anyone coming to stay who has a bit more of a budget. This is not a cheap place, but it is an impeccable one. The common areas are just terrific, the lounge and dining rooms are imaginatively and beautifully decorated. The restaurant is excellent and the location in the middle of Soho is wonderful. It's close to subways but also very easy to get a taxi and great to walk around. It's an elegant place, not child unfriendly, but not especially kid friendly either. I recommend it for lovers and very upmarket business travel. I go there for lunch often, it's a respite in the hubbub of New York.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The location, decor, and amenities in this celebrity studded hotel are exactly what you think they are going to be. Uber stylish and cool, the rooms are comfortable, the restaurant superb, the location perfect and to top it off they mix a mean martini in the bar.

The walk to the toilets from the bar is a bit of a trek and some of the staff were clearly hired more for their good looks and fashion magazine froideur than for their efficiency or even interest in their jobs. But it is all part of the fun. Who doesn't want to be ignored by a model in a painfully groovy Soho hotel?

Not really a businessman's hotel unless one is in film or fashion, but certainly worth staying in for those weekends when you simply must pretend that life is like a Sex and the City episode.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I decided to try out Firmdale's United States experience, based upon the strength of my previous stays at the company's properties in London. I was glad that I did.

It's almost like they have transplanted one of the London properties into SoHo. Arriving at the property presents the same feel as arriving in The Haymarket in London. Cheery faces and the now expected readiness to please attitude from the Front Office staff. My room as not quite ready on arrival, and I was politely shepherded into the restaurant adjacent the lobby and settled at the bar for a drink while I waited. This restaurant reminds me of Brumish as well. The same warm, comfortable furniture and English drawing room feel with uplifting colour added to the decor.

Once again, great food and beverage served with flair and confidence from the staff. The restaurant has a an outdoor terrace, which I can imagine would be lovely when the weather isn't -4C!

Now for the rooms. Again, that same British feel and complete with the transplanted bathrooms and British made tap ware. My shower door did not close properly and ended up with a large puddle around the toilet and moving towards the sink. A small matter, but could be dangerous as the tiles are grey and some people would not necessarily see the water on the floor, possibly slipping. A very comfortable bed as well as the signature seamstresses manikin in matching décor. My room looked out onto Crosby street with floor to ceiling glass windows to enjoy the very urban view. Double glazed windows shielded me from the street noise.

As far as the location is concerned, a great spot central to SoHo and surrounded by lots of shopping and food and beverage locations, literally a skip around the corner or across the road.

I've rated the property a 'Very Good' vs. excellent, for only one specific reason. My breakfast experience this morning and the behavior of the staff in the restaurant. Sadly, this disappointed me. It may be my feelings only, but I found the hostess surly when arriving for breakfast. I was really looking forward to the experience and this set me off on the wrong foot. As I type the manager is standing at another table mentioning, 'that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.' That should be matched with a cheery greeting when you arrive at what would otherwise be a great experience. This experience continued with my waitress determining that despite never having met me before, I would be referred to as 'honey', for the duration of the meal. I then got to listen to the staff discuss their love life.

For me, in this standard of property that is not acceptable and far too familiar when I am paying $600 USD per night to stay. I can see that the hotel does have a number of regulars and definitely agree that this type of rapport is both appropriate and familiar, as I would expect to be treated if that was my circumstance.

Having noted this, I would definitely stay here again. As I've noted before I really like what the Firmdale brand offers as an overall hospitality experience. Although the challenge of building a brand, is that customers then start to compare. On this occasion my comparison was related to the staff's manner and behavior compared to London and it came up a little short. I hope that this can be addressed so that the next stay moves my comments to 'Excellent'.

Room Tip: I have only faced Corsby St and that was nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed in June 2013. Very comfortable, very large bed (we stayed in a superior room on 11th floor) - great shower but no bath. The staff were all very friendly and genuinely helpful. The location is fabulous, right in the centre of the shopping area of Soho with its excellent boutique shops. They charged the wrong credit card when I left which cost me a lot in exchange rate and when I went back to them (after I had been home for 3 weeks in the UK) they refunded the difference with no issue - that's customer service at its best !! Oh it also has a nice bar and does a good breakfast !

Room Tip: Try and get room on upper floors as quieter and fab views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

A visit to NY is not complete without a stay at the Crosby. Kit Kemp's stylish hotel is a must.
The rooms are lovely. The service excellent and the food delicious. Extremely well located in the heart of Soho close to fabulous shopping and trendy restaurants.
In the summer, the lovely patio allows you to enjoy outdoor dining in a cosy atmosphere.
The decoration throughout the hotel is refined yet whimsical which defines Kit Kemp's style.
She promotes artwork of young designers.
She is not known as the Hotel Queen for nothing. The Crosby Hotel summarizes what we love about the Brits : tradition and fun.
A must see - even for drinks

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Crosby Street Hotel? Share your experiences!