“Exactly what I looked for” 5 of 5 stars

Chambers Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 W 56th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #116 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Haifa, Israel
“Exactly what I looked for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I stayed at the Chambers Hotel 2 nights at the end of July 2014. When I arrived from the airport, Iwas welcomed by Thai (hope I don't mispell his name} who was very friendly and helpful. Whenever we met he gave me the feeling that I am the only guest in the hotel - and I definitely wasn't. The hotel and room design was fanthastic. Comparing with other New York hotels I've stayed in, the Chambers' room (and mine wasn't one of the best) was spacious and pamperring with very good amenites and a "rain" shower, flip flops and bath robe. Every spot in the room and the hotel has something unique and beautifull. The location is great - between the 5th and the 6th Ave a few minutes walk distance to 2 different Metro lines, 5 minutes walk to the Central Park. I loved it, I recommend it by all means and I will definitely stay there again whenever I return to New York. Just don't take the supershuttle from JFK - the Chambers is the last on their route and it took about 2 hours to get there - In a way I enjoyed it too :) .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
And isn't, Michal539, finding exactly what you were looking for a fine thing indeed?

Many thanks on sharing your enthusiasm, it is surely appreciated.

Sorry about your long time into town, but you sound like a true traveler, enjoying the trip as much as the destination. If next time you prefer speed, we can always arrange an automobile to pick you up.

Ty ( not to worry on the spelling) is a fine fellow, one among many of our fine folks and I will surely let him know your appreciation.

Many thanks again and we hope to see you soon,

Ansell Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Chambers is by far the quietest NYC hotel I've ever stayed in - didn't hear 1 siren or horn the entire night. Also, staff was very friendly and helpful and Ma Peche was incredible! I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
Hello Averymn83,

Many thanks on your kind words, they are greatly appreciated.

We do have an absolutely amazing group of people working at Chambers and Má Pêche is dead on, too.

Let us know when you want to stay again and we will be delighted in helping you find a few other hidden gems. like the very best burger in town or the quietest, most romantic postage stamp park a lovely amble away.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is the 2nd time that we've stayed at the Chambers and our only complaint is the construction noise across the street which cannot be helped. On our last day, we checked out and kept our bags in a storage area by the front desk as we had a late flight out. Just as we were heading back to the hotel to get our bags, the craziest rain storm happened and our cell phones gave warnings of flash floods. Of course, in that situation, there were absolutely no cabs available and we couldn't just hang out in a store waiting for the rain to stop as we had to get to the airport. We arrived at the hotel looking like 3 drowned rats and the staff ( especially Mara Robin) could not have been more helpful. They explained that the hotel was full so they couldn't give us a room to use to shower and change but they let us use a private washroom as well as an office. They came running with towels and then Mara brought us each a Chambers tank top. We were pretty blown away by the care and service and will stay here on our next NYC visit for sure!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear sr328,

Greetings from tropical New York, though of late we are having some of the finest summer weather in memory. Mara and all here are also some of the finest people one could ever hope to have take care of you.

Our apologies on the noise; New York constantly rebuilding itself, which is one of its charms. It is nearly over, having completed the foundation, the balance is a cakewalk.

We are delighted you like Chambers and thank you for sharing your kind words.

See you soon, travel safely.

Oslo, Norway
1,591 helpful votes 1,591 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I spent three days at this hotel in june, and I am quite happy with my choice. There is a small but friendly entrance, with a nice relaxing area overlooking the lobby.

The rooms are small, as all NYC rooms seem to be. Nevertheless you have all you need. The people working here, is perhaps the best thing about the hotel. Very friendly and easy going. Location is convenient, but a bit noisy.

The hotel is in my opinion soon ready for refurbishing. Quite a lot of ware and tare, but not so much that it will ruin your experience.

Worth a stay, but not as special that it maybe used to be.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Imedvindfranord,

Thank you kindly for your words of praise and cautions on Chambers special-ness. We certainly do have a fine staff and we are very fortunate in that.

I encourage you to contact me with your concerns of the hotel's maintenance. We have very specifically chosen materials that may read as being less than finished in our design. We have attempted to reflect the somewhat rough (applied plaster walls, unfinished sprinkler heads ) world of industrial lofts and juxtaposed this against the finest linens, window treatments and Tibetan wool carpeting.

In all events, I would be delighted speaking with you and meeting you should you choose, and we certainly hope that you will, return to Chambers.

Again, thank you for sharing your observations,

Kindly,

Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I just read through the recent and positive reviews of the Chambers hotel. I can't add much more to the others you'll read here except to say, "me too, I agree".

Exceptional in many ways. Great area near central park. Clean. I felt extremely safe here.

I would take exception to the review regarding limited concierge services, although I think the reference was to not having bus schedules. We relied VERY heavily on the concierge, Jose. If you were running the hotel, Jose is the guy you want to be the face of your business. Energetic, personable, helpful and just awesome, there was nothing he could not provide. Jose made recommendations, worked hard to get us the best reservations and even went to the trouble of ordering us a glass of champagne to welcome us at the restaurant. This is amazing service and this all adds up to a memorable stay.

Searching for critique, my worst complaint may be that there was no iron in the room. I don't think we were alone, another guest we talked to also didn't have an iron. But like everything else at this hotel, they intend on catering to your needs. An iron will be brought to you on short notice. they also don't have a gym in the hotel, but they provide that service through a nearby gym facility - so it's even better than in-house gyms.

Of the many hundreds (thousands?) of places to stay in and near New York, I don't think we'd look further than returning to the Chambers on our next trip to the city.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hello BDAMark,

Thank you.

Jose is absolutely terrific and we are thrilled he is ever at our front doors.

Please do visit New York again and surely let me know; I'll have an iron and tea waiting.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This top-notch boutique hotel has an unsurpassed location, friendly and helpful staff, and terrific on site restaurant, as well as a hip vibe and an incredible shower! The bedside chocolates and bottled water each night, and the New York Times delivered each morning, along with the complimentary coffee availale at the Milk Bar were an added plus. Loved our dinner at the onsite Momofuku restaurant (Ma Peche) as well. The Chambers Hotel was an unexpected find; we would definitely stay again !!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear rbtsch,

What a pleasure is an unexpected find. What a pleasure to read of yours with Chambers.

Please do return, again and again, with the pleasure ours.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Abingdon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was a surprise anniversary trip for my wife. I told her we were going to Charlotte and she thought that we were staying there. Instead I book us two tickets to NYC and a room at the Chambers Hotel. Since my last name is also Chambers I was instantly intrigued but after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, I was hooked.

The hotel exceeded all of my expectations and made my first trip to NYC, definitely not my last and will stay most certainly at the Chambers Hotel next time. The main attraction of the hotel, besides the name, was the location. I am a watch enthusiast and the hotel in a perfect location for all the watch boutiques and retailers. Tiffany's is right down the street which houses Patek Philippe and the hotel is also close to Omega, Breguet, Breitling, and many other brands. I was in heaven.

My wife, didn't want to spend our entire trip in watch boutiques, so we ran and rode bikes in Central Park, went to McGee's Pub since we are HIMYM fans, and ventured around Times Square. We also rode bikes in Times Square which was crazy and awesome at the same time with all the cabs within inches of us.

The room was very clean and well taken care of. No rust around edges or molding coming apart. The shower didn't have a door but instead it had a large pane of glass next to the toilet and some water did get into the main bathroom but it wasn't much and with the vintage concrete flooring, there was no chance of slipping. Mostly it was just a different shower setup than we were use to from staying at other hotels. It was a welcome change because the shower was bigger than most hotels.

The mini bar is stocked full of goodies and is dangerously good. There is a card that is in there that tells you all the prices. The only comment on that is I wish it was alphabetized. Would make finding things on there a little easier. But, it isn't a very long list.

The room was also very quiet. The windows must have sound proofing on them because when we opened then the sounds from the streets flooded the room and when we closed the window, we couldn't head a thing.

The location is perfect!!! Subway is right down the street when you take a right out of the hotel. And the 5th Avenue Tiffany's is down the street when you take a left out of the Hotel. Central park is 2 blocks away. If you want to ride bikes in the Park then there is a bike shop a couple of hundred feet down the street. Times Square is a short walk away. It took my Wife and I 15 minutes to walk there. And we stayed in Times Square our first night until 3am and were able to walk back perfectly fine and safe.

The staff was very helpful and friendly and made the stay there even better. I love this hotel and am already thinking when we can go back because I want to make reservations at the Chambers Hotel again ASAP!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Hello DietSlice, aka Mr. Chambers.

First and foremost, congratulations and celebrate them all!

Always a pleasure to exceed expectations and to be a part of a celebration. Too, we are very glad you enjoyed New York. It is a big city and can be made manageable by speaking with the right folks and not be too forward Chambers has some of the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic people in town.

Perhaps you will celebrate all your anniversaries in our fair city and I can direct you to a few dealers of rare watches that may not make the usual lists.

Enjoy a fine Virginia summer's end.

Ansell Hakwins

Been to Chambers Hotel? Share your experiences!