“Good Location, Okay Rooms” 3 of 5 stars

You added Chambers Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 W 56th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #119 of 453 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, CA
“Good Location, Okay Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. One the one hand, there were a lot of positives; on the other hand, the negatives relate to the room itself. First of all, the location in mid-town is superb, especially if you have meetings in that area. The hotel is right off of 5th Avenue and good shopping is right around the corner. I was in town for business and the lobby is warm and inviting and was a good place to meet my colleagues. The weather was cold and there was a fire going so it was cozy. The other positive is the hotel restaurant Ma Peche. It is delicious, innovative cuisine from the owner of Momofuku. I will definitely return to the restaurant as I had a fantastic meal the night I arrived.
It is a small hotel and there were only about six rooms on my floor which was very nice. The problem was that the room felt like a dorm room. The décor was cold and looked inexpensive (especially the wardrobe which looked like it was made out of plastic). The bed was quite hard and uncomfortable and the linens were not top notch. The bathroom was tiny and there was no space to put my toiletries. The room did have a lot of light since there were windows on two sides (so it felt bigger) and the windows opened, which was very nice. Overall, though, I found the room quite depressing and it was not a place where I wanted to hang out. If only they made the rooms as cozy as the lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear DiscerningTraveler99,

Thank you for taking your time in letting us and TripAdvisor know your thoughts. It is truly appreciated.

We made a conscious decision creating our rooms in the style of downtown artists’ lofts, complete with applied plaster walls, trestle worktables with tracing paper and colored pencils, and a large silk mohair chair; all in the hope we could entice our guests to embrace their playful side. New York being New York, replete with its a-go-go intensity, can be a bit much without a place to come back to that is quiet and cozy, a place like our lobby. I am sorry if the dichotomy between our public space of quiet and serene jarred when you arrived to your playful and imaginative room.

Perhaps, too, you may want to reserve one our studio rooms, with a larger bathroom, Japanese soaking tub, wooden floors and sofa/seating area. I would be delighted in assisting you with your choice.

In all events, thank you again for your thoughtful comments.

Ansell Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Our room was modern, clean, and surprisingly quiet. The location is great - close to Central Park, 5th Ave shopping, and a short walk from Columbus Circle. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The drinks in the bar were excellent and we enjoyed the quiet atmosphere. And there's a Momofuku Milk Bar in the lobby! Fantastic sweets, plus I stopped down in the mornings for some great coffee. Our Queen Standard room was pretty small, but we knew that going into it because rooms are detailed on the website.

On the downside, I was disappointed when I saw that the bathroom had a frosted glass door on it. Yes, it looks cool, but it's heavy to open and close, and does not provide as much privacy as a standard door. The door didn't face the bed and seating area, which helped, but I still was not happy with the situation. But the fantastic shower helped to make up for the door!

Room Tip: Our room just had a view of another building, but I think that helped make it nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Traveljunkie03,

Thank you kindly for your words of praise. We like to keep it quiet; there is hustle and bustle enough just outside our door.

We are very glad you found us and do hope you will contact me when next you find yourself headed to our fine city.

Yours kindly,

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Lived in NYC for about two years and went back for a short visit. Chambers is truly a hidden gem in NYC. Great location right by 5th ave and Central Park. So many great places to eat/ shop near by. You can't beat being able to get Crack Pie delivered to your room.
The rooms are spacious and clean. The decor is very well done to makes you feel comfortable and at ease. I really enjoyed the art pieces they had throughout the hotel; they really blend in with the decor and don't feel like it's over-done.
I really enjoyed the shower they had. The best waterfall shower in all of my travel experiences. The staff was extremely accommodating with even minor details such as having umbrella by the front door just in case you forgot them. Definitely looking forward to going back

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear dhpark,
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and comments. We appreciate it hugely and we are glad you appreciate the minor details. We think they matter.
Full agreement on the crack pie.
Surely contact me directly whenever you are back in New York and I’ll be happy to have a slice of pie awaiting your arrival.
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

A modern, small and wonderful hotel in Midtown, Manhattan. I am staying there every time I am in town, and I call it my home in New York. Excellent service, NY Times on the door each morning, you feel like familiy, awsome beds, flat screen tv, the best shower in the world, always smiles and a welcome back when you have been out, a suberb fitness center just two blocks away is included and much more. It´s also very clean and free from bedbugs. This is a high quality hotel with personal service. I just love it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Freddykjensmo,
Everybody here thinks you are the bee’s knees.
See you next time.
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked this at the last minute for a short overnight and got a great price. First time there and based on the neighborhood I wasn't expecting to be blown away, but was truly surprised. The room was clean and modern with high ceilings and great/clever decorations. The bath amenities are full size from a great brand down in Nolita called Red Flower. The staff were really nice and breakfast room service was perfect!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Lapsarian,
We are delighted to have exceeded your expectations so thoroughly and hope to do so every time you visit, which we would be delighted to be many.
Thank you kindly for sharing your enthusiasm.
Be sure in letting me know when you are next in New York and I will be delighted assisting you with your reservations and about town.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We booked two nights after reading good reviews on TripAdvisor. Our over-riding impression was the quality of staff during the stay - epitomised by two genuinely friendly and entertaining Concierges, Ty and Robert, who made it clear for the moment we walked through the door that they were there to make our time in New York City as productive and memorable as it could be. The room was clean and, for the area, good value. We would echo others' comments about the quality of the shower - a welcome bit of TLC after a full-on day out. No real frills to speak of in terms of food but no worries when there's such a massive selection on the doorstep - from breakfast to dinner and beyond. Concierge recommendations were checked out online (on the QT) before committing and all found to be top-notch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Edwardb638,
Thank you for your very enthusiastic review, we appreciate it immensely. We, too, are very glad you found yourselves so very well cared for; that is of the utmost importance in our minds. Please be certain I will pass along your kind words to Ty and Robert, and all others of our fantastic staff who make it all happen so seamlessly.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've been staying at Chambers on my NYC business trips for quite a few years. A while ago it went through a bad spot when the bar/restaurant closed but now that Milk and Ma Peche have opened up it seems to have re-found it's zeitgeist. Tucked away in midtown with subtle signage it's a retreat from 5th Av. The rooms are dark but well appointed, beds comfy and service excellent. But there are two major stand outs:

1) free wifi. Why on earth don't all hotels do this now? It makes a travellers life so much easier and the those few extra $$$ aren't worth it.
2) the showers. I've seen many hotels boast of their waterfall showers but these guys have nailed it. The best shower I've had. So much water you dare not turn it onto full power for fear of drowning standing up. Love it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear MattFenby Taylor,
Thank you for returning to Chambers. It was surely difficult not having a restaurant but we, too, are thrilled with having the Momofuku folks around and about. They certainly know their way around the kitchen.
Thank you for sharing your opinions with us and TripAdvisor; we greatly appreciate it. Even from the insider’s view I cannot understand the WiFi charge thing. It simply is how we live know.
I would be pleased to assist with your bookings for all your future visits.
ahawkins@chambershotel.com

Been to Chambers Hotel? Share your experiences!