“Holidays in NYC” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 451 hotels in New York City
Athens, Greece
“Holidays in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I spent 5 nights alone in NYC and I wanted to stay in a central hotel. .. And I found the place!
Chambers is in a great area, you can go out and feel all the noise of the city but returning back you are in a cozy, quiet room. Great atmosphere in the room, the staff friendly. Every day when I was returning back in the room I was under the impression that my mom was somewhere around and tied it up. I found the place to stay each time I am visiting NYC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ChambersNewYork, Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Raisa K,
Thank you for taking your time in letting us and TripAdvisor know how much you enjoyed Chambers. IN fact, our Executive Housekeeper is a bit of a mother to all of us here… and we are as happy as punch about it.
New York and Greece are certainly a good distance from one another, but we do hope to have you visit regularly. Let me know and we’ll ensure you are well cared for and know the latest of the latest from our concierges.
Until soon, travel safely,

344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

They have by far the friendliest staff in New York. great door men, lovely ladies at reception. Because hotel is small, everyone recognises you already on day 2. Location is awsome. I am looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Peter S,

We couldn't be more pleased you found Chambers and want to return. We’ll be happy to welcome you again and again and again. Indeed, I will be delighted to handle your booking personally.

Until soon, travel safely,

Birmingham, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Loved the size, ambience, and comfortable rooms. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. The room was very quiet and the mezzanine level library offered a nice place to chill with a glass of wine. Great location! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Ginger759,

It is terrific to read how much you enjoyed your visit and we are very appreciative of your sharing with TripAdvisor.

Do let me know when you are returning and I'll give you a few of my favorite spots around the neighborhood.

Travel safely,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'm torn as I write this. On one hand, I like the modern flare to the hotel. The lobby, though small, is homey and the staff are friendly. The rooms, however, leave me puzzled. The bathroom has no counter space for even a toothbrush, no hook to hang my travel bag, and none of the little things to make the space usable. That said, the bathroom was modern and pretty. Great showerhead. But, I wanted a door on the toilet room (concrete floors bounce noise), no water to leak out of the shower, a place to put my toiletries, and a hook for my robe. The bed is comfy (purple was a strange color for the comforter) and I like the art...but still, there are things missing to make the rooms more usable. Outlets on both sides of the bed would be nice - I want to charge my phone on my side, not his.

Not a bad place to stay. But not great.

Tip: no room service here so be prepared.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Wfleet,

We are very sorry you were not thoroughly taken with Chambers and I must admit to some puzzlement: Momofuku Má Pêche provides their full menu beginning at 6:30 AM with breakfast straight through dinner, all our bathrooms have myriad hooks, we have not got purple duvets (though there is a stripe of purple on the sheet border) and we have an entire strip of outlets at the desk.

Perhaps, given you are on the fence, you will contact me directly for your next reservation and I will be delighted to meet you and find a room that exceeds your expectations.

In all events, thank you for taking your time in letting is us know your thoughts and experiences, it is very much appreciated. We very much want you to not just like but love our hotel.

Yours,

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful New York weekend. The Chambers Hotel is delightful - from our warm greeting by the doorman and front desk staff to our lovely room to the great Momofuku food available in the hotel restaurant (Ma Peche) or by room service in your room or in the comfortable hotel balcony lounge.
We decided to get a Queen Deluxe Room because they are corner rooms on upper floors with floor to ceiling windows meeting at the corner. It was lovely. Great bed with plump pillows and comforter, comfortable chair, desk with a roll of drawing paper and pencils for drawing, doodling or writing notes. Nicely designed bathroom with great shower.
A different artist has done a piece of art in the hallway of each floor. Check out the 8th Floor where the artist created a tropical forest filled with giant hummingbirds and flowers.
We met a friend late one evening and sat on the balcony overlooking the lobby and ate wonderful Momofuku porkbuns and ramen from room service.
The Hotel will give you free guest passes to a health club a block away.
The location is great, 56th Street just west of 5th Ave - 2 blocks away from MOMA, easy walk to Times Square or Central Park.
The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe Queen. They are corner rooms on higher floors (7 and above) with floor to ceiling...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lorilander,

It certainly seems as if you have found all of our favorites in our gem of a hotel.

Thank you for sharing your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps when all of our backyard, Central Park, is in bloom.

As ever, I would be delighted to assist you with your reservation and finding more of our favorite spots.

Yours,

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great location on 56th street gives some seclusion from the bustle outside. A good selection of Asian restaurants nearby on 56th. Front of house staff are warm and welcoming. Although i would return here, I do feel there's considerable room for improvement. The rooms are well designed but feel a little tired and could do with a refurb. Beds are comfortable. The overall ambience (relaxed and 'cool') works and the first floor lounge is extremely pleasant and good for reading and meetings.

I think the restaurant is far from comfortable and the food mediocre. There's limited selection and over priced. It feels like they ran out of budget with the sail cloth interior - cold and uninspired. Some of the (restaurant) staff are too cool for school and busy reading or doing other things (their day jobs perhaps..) which doesn't bother me too much but isn't quite in line with the price range of the place.

I had a frustrating experience asking to use the gym/fitness centre which is a couple of blocks away (not ideal). I was given a pass - had to ask for directions and then arrived only to find it was closed - had to wait 20mins in minus temperature for the doors to open! Surely someone might have thought...?

I had a good 4 night stay overall, but I suggest this hotel could be run better (it feels inconsistent) with more attention to detail and visitors. For a relatively small hotel (which I like) it feel like they should be able to provide a more personal and genuine experience, rather than rely on platitudes and cliches that you might expect at a larger chain hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear McConnon,

First and foremost, I am very sorry indeed we were off our game on your visit to our selected gym. It is very annoying indeed when one is amped to get out those ya-ya's and it becomes...hurry and wait. Please accept our apologies.

I have brought your views of Ma Peche to their management team, as they are a separate entity. I would very much like to be able to have them contact you directly.

We, too, would love to have you back and demonstrate we are game on. To that end, I invite you to book with me directly and I will be delighted to handle your reservation.

Many thanks for taking your time and letting us know your observations, it is hugely appreciated.

Yours kindly,

ahawkiins@chambershotel.com
Kuwait City, Kuwait
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed couple of times in Chambers, its quiet nice, clean, simple and different. I guess the rooms need to be renovated soon, they are on the edge now. The location of this hotel is great its on 56th and the 5th ave, very good for people visiting NY for shopping! Although might not go there again. A bit overpriced

• Stayed March 2013
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear SAZ040,

Thank you for taking your time in letting us know your thoughts.
We would like to have you as our guest every time you are in New York and I will be delighted to handle your reservation personally. To that end please contact me directly when next your travels bring you to our fair city.

Yours kindly,

ahawkins@chambershotel.com

Been to Chambers Hotel? Share your experiences!