“Delightful Hotel in Great MidTown Location” 5 of 5 stars

You added Chambers Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 W 56th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #104 of 451 hotels in New York City
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Delightful Hotel in Great MidTown Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful New York weekend. The Chambers Hotel is delightful - from our warm greeting by the doorman and front desk staff to our lovely room to the great Momofuku food available in the hotel restaurant (Ma Peche) or by room service in your room or in the comfortable hotel balcony lounge.
We decided to get a Queen Deluxe Room because they are corner rooms on upper floors with floor to ceiling windows meeting at the corner. It was lovely. Great bed with plump pillows and comforter, comfortable chair, desk with a roll of drawing paper and pencils for drawing, doodling or writing notes. Nicely designed bathroom with great shower.
A different artist has done a piece of art in the hallway of each floor. Check out the 8th Floor where the artist created a tropical forest filled with giant hummingbirds and flowers.
We met a friend late one evening and sat on the balcony overlooking the lobby and ate wonderful Momofuku porkbuns and ramen from room service.
The Hotel will give you free guest passes to a health club a block away.
The location is great, 56th Street just west of 5th Ave - 2 blocks away from MOMA, easy walk to Times Square or Central Park.
The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe Queen. They are corner rooms on higher floors (7 and above) with floor to ceiling...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Lorilander,

It certainly seems as if you have found all of our favorites in our gem of a hotel.

Thank you for sharing your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps when all of our backyard, Central Park, is in bloom.

As ever, I would be delighted to assist you with your reservation and finding more of our favorite spots.

Yours,

345 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great location on 56th street gives some seclusion from the bustle outside. A good selection of Asian restaurants nearby on 56th. Front of house staff are warm and welcoming. Although i would return here, I do feel there's considerable room for improvement. The rooms are well designed but feel a little tired and could do with a refurb. Beds are comfortable. The overall ambience (relaxed and 'cool') works and the first floor lounge is extremely pleasant and good for reading and meetings.

I think the restaurant is far from comfortable and the food mediocre. There's limited selection and over priced. It feels like they ran out of budget with the sail cloth interior - cold and uninspired. Some of the (restaurant) staff are too cool for school and busy reading or doing other things (their day jobs perhaps..) which doesn't bother me too much but isn't quite in line with the price range of the place.

I had a frustrating experience asking to use the gym/fitness centre which is a couple of blocks away (not ideal). I was given a pass - had to ask for directions and then arrived only to find it was closed - had to wait 20mins in minus temperature for the doors to open! Surely someone might have thought...?

I had a good 4 night stay overall, but I suggest this hotel could be run better (it feels inconsistent) with more attention to detail and visitors. For a relatively small hotel (which I like) it feel like they should be able to provide a more personal and genuine experience, rather than rely on platitudes and cliches that you might expect at a larger chain hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear McConnon,

First and foremost, I am very sorry indeed we were off our game on your visit to our selected gym. It is very annoying indeed when one is amped to get out those ya-ya's and it becomes...hurry and wait. Please accept our apologies.

I have brought your views of Ma Peche to their management team, as they are a separate entity. I would very much like to be able to have them contact you directly.

We, too, would love to have you back and demonstrate we are game on. To that end, I invite you to book with me directly and I will be delighted to handle your reservation.

Many thanks for taking your time and letting us know your observations, it is hugely appreciated.

ahawkiins@chambershotel.com
Kuwait City, Kuwait
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed couple of times in Chambers, its quiet nice, clean, simple and different. I guess the rooms need to be renovated soon, they are on the edge now. The location of this hotel is great its on 56th and the 5th ave, very good for people visiting NY for shopping! Although might not go there again. A bit overpriced

• Stayed March 2013
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear SAZ040,

Thank you for taking your time in letting us know your thoughts.
We would like to have you as our guest every time you are in New York and I will be delighted to handle your reservation personally. To that end please contact me directly when next your travels bring you to our fair city.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for one night. Hotel was fine but there was only luke warm water so had a nice cool shower. When I mentioned this on checkout, I was told I should have mentioned this earlier (difficult from the shower !) and nobody else had this problem. Made me feel like I was asking for a rebate. An apology would have sufficed.
We had our office Christmas party at this hotel in 2011 and were thinking of doing the same this year but this has left a bad taste.
Seemed like a nice hotel so it's a pity that it could not the basics right.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear UVIRXRAY,

I am sorry and apologize for your not having felt understood. Of course, the first words from any of our terrific staff should have been, " I am very sorry."
Knowing everyone as I do, I can surely imagine they were deeply chagrined to hear of your having not had the perfect experience we all strive to provide and their intent was only to hope being able to make your shower a glorious cavalcade of hot water, for which Chambers is renowned.

In all events, we certainly hope you will consider once again having your Winter Holidays with us and please feel free to contact me directly with any further comments or concerns you may have.

Once again, I am very sorry indeed you left Chambers feeling anything less than stellar.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic if you are wanting a helpful buzzy concierge, comfy room and amazing shower with good products!!!

The best thing for us (20 something couple with friends also staying in New York) was the staff. They reserved us tables at gorgeous reataurants and helped with bar recommendations. As this was our first trip to New York, we found that extremely helpful.

People have commented on the dark hallways, not a problem for us. From the lift to room is about 5 m! Even if it was pitch black you could find your room. It wasnt though, and we thought it added to the cool ambience of the hotel. Standard room was a good size considering how much time you spend in it and furnishings were good quality and room was clean.

Token for free drink at the bar next door was a nice touch. We went on our second day to use it (there was no limit to which drink you could order).

Overall a good choice of hotel for a trip to New York. All the big stores around the corner and central park practically on the doorstep. Oh, and quality meats (a restaurant the hotel recommended-yum!) is 5 mins walk!

Dear little-wrigglers,

We are thrilled you found Chambers to your liking and very pleased you utilized our fine concierges.

Thank you for your all around kind words; I will certainly share them with our entire staff. They will very much appreciate the recognition and we very much appreciate your sharing your good times with TripAdvisor.

Please let me know if I am able to be of any assistance in booking your next trip to New York and Chambers.

Brookline, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Hip but not pretentious, three blocks from MoMA and FAO Schwartz, Playstations in the stylish spacious rooms, fantastic dining and drinks at Ma Peche. (check out the Little Kings & corn whiskey happy hour). And competitively priced. We've stayed several times, and are welcomed like returning family.

Room Tip: Fitness center at nearby NY Fitness Club.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hello Anthony F.

We are always delighted to have you with us.

Thanks for the shout out.

Ansell
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Friendly , attentive staff , great rooms and a wonderful location . This really is a marvellous hotel for a visit to New York . A great restaurant too and a real feel for the city . The restaurant has an interesting and exciting menu -a real metropolitan feel to the place. The bar was every European feels a New York bar should be . So close to the theatres , Central Park and the museums . A great find . I would certainly go back and recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a real experience of the city and hope that it won't be too long before we're back again .

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Michael R.

We are delighted you found Chambers; we love New York and are indeed very lucky to be placed smack in its center, with all Central Park as our back yard.

Please do come again and feel free to contact me directly that I may assist you with reservations and general man about town sort of things.

Thank you again for your kind words and taking the time to share them with Trip Advisor.

Ansell Hawkins

Been to Chambers Hotel? Share your experiences!