“Perfect for first timers in New York” 4 of 5 stars

Chambers Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 W 56th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #130 of 446 hotels in New York City
Manchester
“Perfect for first timers in New York”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed here for a week on our first visit to the Big Apple.

LOCATION:
The hotel is perfectly located on 56th Street between 5th and 6th Avenue and is walking distance from Central Park, the Rockefeller Centre and most of the well known shoppings stores in Manhattan. In addition, there are plenty of places to eat within a two block radius, and a few supermarkets and pharmacies thrown in for good measure. The 57th Street station (F line mtero) is about three minutes walk from the front door of the hotel and opens up the whole of Manhattan, Brooklyn and beyond if you are happy travelling by metro (which we did a lot and found very convenient and cheap).

THE ROOM:
The hotel itself is very hip. We had a corner room on a higher floor and found the room to be of a very good size. Our room was a Deluxe Queen and so had a shower but no bath. The shower is one of the best I have had anywhere in the world. Hot and very powerful,but does have a tendency to flood the bathroom as the sheer volume of water coming out of the shower overwhelms the hole draining it in the floor. Strangely we found no shower gel in the shower which we though was a bit odd. The bed and mattress are very comfortable and we had good nights sleep throughout our stay. We stayed in a few nights and found plenty to watch on the cable TV. There are lots of small quaint features in the room which make this feel more like an apartment than a hotel. For a start the doors are opened with normal metal door keys, and there is no keycard slot when you walk in to the room to activate all the electrics. The light fittings and power points are all very retro and allude to the history of this building. The desk and chair are very functional if you want to get some work done. This is aided by the complimentary WiFi which we used a lot. The views of Manhattan and the Rockefeller complex from our room was absolutely amazing, day and night, and really made us feel we were right in the thick of things.

SERVICE:
The front of desk staff are very friendly and competent, and special mention must go to Kevin who managed to secure us some tickets for Skyfall which we watched at the AMC Lincoln Centre on our last night. Thank you Kevin. The rest of the staff were equally good and our every request was tended to promptly and efficiently. We didn't use housekeeping much, but did find on one occassion that when we had left early morning and returned late afternoon the room had still not been cleaned.

FOOD:
We didn't eat at Ma Peche, the in house restaurant located on the ground and basement floors, but it seemed to be very busy most nights. I did venture down to the milkbar on the ground floor one morning. The food here is very rich and heavy, but will keep you going all day. It's mainly milkshakes and cakes/pies.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Chambers and felt that it was fairly good value for money for this part of Manhattan. If I had to come back to this part of New York again, then I would most defintely consider staying here again. If you are coming to New York for the first time then I would say this is a perfect location and a great hotel to consider.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear im76,

Yours is a wonderfully thoughtful and straight forward review and we are very grateful for you choosing to share it with all.

I am very pleased you found Chambers and you took one of my favorite rooms; I love the corner views and can sit in the easy chair and look out at New York for hours.

Our showers are fine, too and I am certain you would enjoy our deep Japanese soaking tubs on your next visit, which we hope will be soon (we’ll have a gel soap waiting for you).

Please do let me know when next you plan a trip to New York and we can ensure you are where you want to be.

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Lots positive to report about 'Chambers' - superb location, spacious, stylish rooms and extraordinarily helpful and friendly staff. However, it falls down in a few areas. Bathrooms without plugs in the sinks (so wasteful), ill-fitting shower doors which lead to flood alerts, dilatory room-cleaning (twice we left our room mid-morning and returned late afternoon to find house-keeping hadn't visited), and a very odd, short room service menu. For the prices charged it really needs to do better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Ctephen,

Thank you kindly for all of your insight. It is so important for us to not only pat ourselves on the back for praise received, but to also address any grievances. This helps us provide the ultimate level of service.

As we know your preferences we hope to make your next stay at Chambers a great one. We have noted your profile so the water pressure will be adjusted in your room and housekeeping visits will be tailored to your specific needs. I am also happy to announce that our room service menu has grown since your last stay.

Please do contact me directly when visiting NYC. I will take care of your reservation personally.

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just stayed for the second time at the Chambers Hotel in NYC. It is a boutique hotel without the attitude. The staff are wonderful. The rooms are quite spacious for New York. And I love the Red Flower bath products. Almost worth the cost of the room. Finally, you can't beat the location. It is close to everything - 5th Avenue, Times Square and subways to downtown.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Bostonkeb

Thank you for returning to Chambers and for sharing your experience. Perhaps on your 3rd visit we can share our backyard with you, all 843 acres of it. There is the skating rink, Tavern on the Green is being redone, carriage rides (which sound ridiculous, but are really quite charming) or a snowy walk in the gloaming as the lights come up on the city.

I’ll let Yael of Red Flower know how much you like her products and give you directions to her store, so please let me know when next you plan a visit to New York and Chambers.

I’ll surely, too, let all the folks who make it happen know that you appreciate them.

Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a very nice boutique hotel of ~65 rooms in a fabulous mid-town location a few steps off 5th Avenue -- the corner at 56th St where Harry Winston sits -- that kind of fabulous. There are no facilities outside the room and lobby and lounge but that's better than it sounds. They are connected to a small restaurant that provides room service, and all the food is unusual and well-done. The rooms have as claimed "a downtown vibe". Mine was relatively large, comfortable, quirky/fun, with a big bathroom, robes, nice bed, etc. Wifi is free. And the staff is quite outgoing, well-trained and attentive. Highly recommended.

Dear Lyricskipper,

We are delighted you found us. Please come back soon and let me know. I’ll be certain to book you on different floors so that you will be able to see all the hall way installations

In the meantime, keep Maine in good hands.

Northeast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We loved this hotel. The location was great, the staff was friendly, and the best part for us was that the windows in our room opened. We loved coming back to the room for an afternoon rest with the windows open, hearing the sounds of NYC below. I would skip the hotel breakfast, though, as we were unimpressed and found it overpriced. Oh, and if you're health conscious, beware--Momofuko Milk Bar is attached to the hotel. Let's just say crack pie lives up to its name. The plus side is we brought treats home as souvenirs for family and they loved it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WDtravel

Thank you. I share your pleasure in napping to the sounds of the city and I like that when the windows are closed it all goes away.

We all agree on crack pie, too.

Just let us know when you want to stop in for your next fix.

I am happy to pass along your kind words to our terrific staff.

Mossel Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Chambers put me up after Sandy caused havoc at the hotel I was booked into for a week-long vacation in New York. I LOVED the decor and the position is the best for exploring NYC! But the staff was so SPECIAL in making the stay unforgettable! From the time that I "begged" for a room, the staff went out their way to accommodate me. They even organized a special room at a special rate! From checking in to eventually leaving as a friend, the staff were exceptional! New York is my new favorite city and I will always go back to the Chambers!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Minette d,

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm, we greatly appreciate it.

We were so happy to be able to have you as our guest and so pleased it all worked out for your visit.

Every one of our staff remembers you fondly and while it is a long trip, we look forward to you return.

Just let me know when you do plan a return and I’ll take care of it all on the NYC end.

London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Really impressed with this hotel - if you're looking for an upscale, deluxe hotel with all the add-ons this place isn't for you - but as someone who normally gives anything calling itself 'boutique' in New York a very wide swerve, fearing fashionista snobby staff and tiny, impractical rooms, this place is a revelation.
First - location. Amazing. On business, I need to be in this part of town and it's 3 minutes walk from my office and numerous other great destinations. Great selection of restaurants on the doorstep - from walk in sandwich bars to high end.
Second - The staff. None of the bowing and scraping and 'where's my tip' attitude of the big hotels. Wonderful warm, welcoming and helpful - people that really look like they're trying their best to make your stay a pleasure. If this is the new face of New York, I'll take more of this please!
Third - the room. OK ,not massive - but not tiny either. A little utilitarian/scandi functional for my taste but hey the wi-fi is free and fast (downloaded HD TV shows in minutes), the desk area cool, modern and spacious, great bed and fabulous shower. OK, no view and a little dark but a brilliant base. If I were staying with my wife I'd be more particular and ask for a bigger room with more light and a view, but in town for a couple of days business and needing a base to work from, brilliant.
There's no gym but there's a hook up with NY Racquet and Health down the street (3 mins walk) which I quite like - you get to walk down the road, pick up a juice on the way and an espresso on the way back. If they could expand the hook up to Equinox that would really make it for me!
Great place - I'm coming back to NY in a couple of weeks and will definitely be staying here..Four Seasons usually my place but Chambers has taken its place. Highly recommended! Look at it as your personal base in the city, almost like a serviced apartment with a great vibe. One happy customer.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Marksman122,

Wow! We are thrilled you found Chambers and we are delighted you get it.

We’ve got light and bright rooms, all facing south, some on the east corner, some on the west. I think of them as morning yoga or evening yoga. They have the same terrific showers and are slightly larger, with either king or queen beds. Let us know and we’ll reserve you a Deluxe.

We can get you a pass for Equinox, but alas, they are not free.

Thank you for appreciating all those who work here and truly make it happen, they are the very best and I am always so happy letting them know our guests appreciate their efforts.

We look forward to your return and if you will be kind enough to contact me directly, I will be pleased to handle your reservation personally.

Ansell Hawkins

Been to Chambers Hotel? Share your experiences!