“Intimate atmosphere, creative menu” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Crudo by Don Pedro's
235 W 35th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Garment District)
(212) 695-9001
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #8,522 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Caribbean, European
Neighborhood: Garment District
Neighborhood: Garment District
Overland Park, Kansas
“Intimate atmosphere, creative menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

I was meeting some friends at Crudo for an evening get-together, so I decided to arrive early and have dinner. The menu is described at Euro-Caribbean cuisine. I wasn't sure what this meant, but I went inside anyway.

The Euro part of the description was Spanish. The menu had an interesting mix of Spanish dishes with an island flair. I decided on the Kremetsky as an appetizer and the paella for an entrée. The Kremetsky is a variation on the crab cake, but it is made with fish. It came with two sauces. Very tasty.

The paella had scallops, shrimp, chicken, mussels, clams and chorizo as well as a few vegetables. I was concerned about the chorizo (a spicy sausage) overpowering the fish, but I was pleasantly surprised that it did not. It was not spicy at all, and added some firmness to the dish to offset the seafood and rice.

Rafael, the general manager, was friendly and courteous, and paid a great deal of attention to all the guests. I felt like I was in someone's home more than in a restaurant from his hospitality.

I would have probably walked past Crudo without going in if it were not for the later appointment with my friends. That would have been my loss. I'm glad I ate at Crudo, and I would gladly visit here again. (CS)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere