“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #225 of 451 hotels in New York City
Sf
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed in a King room for a week.

Good things...
Location was great
Bed was one of the most comfortable beds ever slept in

Bad/strange things...

Just seemed to lack some of the hotel amenities you'd expect like good cable TV, complimentary water bottles...
But mostly what was really bad about the room were 3 things in order from bad to worst

1. TV was jacked and said "no signal" half the time. Was fine cuz I wasn't watching much tv but there was one night I felt ill and tried only to get stuck with one working channel.

2. I could not regulate the room temperature to save my life. It was either blazing hot or freezing.

3. By far the worst thing was that when I turned on my jacuzzi jets inteh tub (I was SO excited BTW) BLACK CHUNKS came flying out of all the jets. Like gross omg Im gagging just wrtiting about it. I flew outta that tub soo fast hoping not to end up with some weird disease or rash...
The sheets also had a small almost not noticeable stain but still.. I do not expect to find that in a hotel.

Finally one weird/creepy/funny thing happened. I came out of my room one morning to find a toilet paper roll with a very intricate mans face drawn on it right outside my door facing at me - CLEARLY left for me. From the hotel staff or creep neighbor? Who knows.

I did meet Toshi and his dogs and they were super cute and nice (he and his dogs!) I just think the hotel is more focused on their "party time" vibe than the details in the rooms.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Saint Peter, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We previously stayed a couple of years ago during their soft opening and we liked it so much we came back even though the price was considerably more expensive, although not out of line. The room itself (toshi corner deluxe) is very large by NYC standards. My wife loves the little hallway in the room. The view is nice enough. For us the location is hard to beat, walkable to a lot of great stuff,and close enough to the mta for other things. The staff were very friendly. The hotel could easily earn higher marks from us for all these positive things.
The drawbacks for us included the following.
Our single biggest complaint would have to be the seemingly overburdened housekeeping staff. There simply does not seem to be enough people on staff to keep up in a timely fashion. We would typically leave around 8-9 in the morning and come back for a spell in the afternoon, before going out again at night. Housekeeping never got to our room before 3:00 and often well after. We know because of the great location of the hotel we were able to pop in now and then to pick up or drop things off. It's not like it got a complete makeover every time either. Sometimes the sheets were not changed, just made up. Not a problem per se, we're all about reducing the use of resources etc, but that tactic should save a lot of time when making up a room. We just felt keeping the rooms tidy in a reasonable timeframe was not a priority of hotel management.
Single paned windows allow a fair bit of street noise in, which actually wasn't a problem for us, we love the hustle and bustle. However they also tend to generate large temperature swings in the room. The heat, when blowing, was a bit too effective. If you were in the blast radius the air temperature would start to become unbearable after 3 or 4 minutes. When the heat stopped blowing there was a period of about 10-15 minutes when all was well. Then the drafty windows took over and the temperature would drop fairly rapidly. All well and good when you are tucked under the covers, but quite cool (or hot) when just being in the room. The bathroom was consistently cool because there was no heat register, but there is a large window that let a lot of cold air in.
The room itself was a bit shabby for the price I felt. The furniture was well used, some kind of beat up, which happens,but making sure that not all the drawer knobs are loose is a simple thing I expect to be addressed for the price we paid. All it takes is a screwdriver and couple of washers. There was no hairdryer in the room despite what we were told by the confident bellhop, nor did the safe work. The in-room coffee was not always replaced. These are admittedly small things, but they started to add up to create a picture of hotel management that is far more concerned with the music venue than the day to day functioning of a good hotel.
All in all we enjoyed our stay, but if we did not have the corner deluxe room we would not even consider staying again. There are too many nice hotels at this price point

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean A, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
We take these reviews very seriously here at the Flatiron Hotel. I'm personally looking into each matter and want to ensure our guests are as comfortable as possible. Thank you for your review.
Sugar Land, Texas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at the Flatiron for 2 nights during Thanksgiving week, and wished we would have stayed longer. The front desk person (Saabina) was super friendly, and helpful. I wish i would have asked for the bellman's name, because he was really our first impression, and was very nice. We booked 2 rooms (Madison double, Toshi corner) both were beautiful, with great views! Beds/sheets were very comfortable. The Madison room had a rainfall shower & the Toshi had a jacuzzi tub; such nice touches! Live entertainment in the evenings, lots of restaurants & shopping near by, and metro just a few blocks away. We stayed at the Doubletree for the first 3 nights (Terrible experience!), and only wished we would have stayed here the entire time. Close to Chelsea, Greenwich Village, NYU, SOHO, Empire State Building, EVERYTHING! Only thing i missed was room service, but that didn't change my opinion of the amazing hotel. I can't wait to stay here again!

Room Tip: Both Toshi corner & Madison double were awesome!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonderful review, the Flatiron Hotel is located at a prime area. Restaurants and shopping are all very close and much more. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to you see you again soon.
East Hampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

The fifth floor room was very nice. There was a band playing in the bar/lounge and we couldn't hear a thing. Clean and up to date. Great location for my work and social needs.Couldn't find the local channels on the bathroom TV but didn't have a lot of time nor cared to figure it out.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Fishersville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This hotel was the perfect location for us as we were visiting a relative who lives about six blocks away. The room, which was on the sixth floor, was nicely done and had all the latest technological gadgets (remote control to close and open the drapes, TV imbedded in the bathroom mirror, electronic notification for the maid). Some of the reviews complained about the noise from the night club downstairs but we never heard it. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel provided several e-mail reminders about our upcoming stay. Overall, it was the nicest hotel we have stayed at in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
We are very happy you gave the Flatiron an honest review. We tell our guest to request rooms above the fourth floor who are looking to steer clear from the live entertainment from Toshi's Living Room. Thank you for staying with us.
Summerville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The room, location, staff, and lounge were all amazing. The staff took care of us and made us feel right at home. Mr. Benz, Devon, David, and Natalie took time to make a guest connection with my wife and I. The Flatiron Hotel is in a perfect location to get anywhere in the city no matter the mode of transportation and is only a few steps from Eataly! The room was very clean and spacious and the details in the room were nice (marble walls, vaulted ceilings, automated curtains, and tv in the bathroom mirror). Toshi's Living Room is a great spot to enjoy a drink and amazing bar food (the Siracha mac&cheese and Ponzu sliders hit the spot). Toshi himself was super friendly and was kind enough to give us complimentary champagne to celebrate the honeymoon!!! I will be looking forward to staying at The Flatiron again on our next trip to the city. Thank you Flatiron staff for an unforgettable holiday honeymoon!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor which was fairly quite.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We look forward to your next stay at The Flatiron Hotel. On behalf of Toshi and staff, thank you for the wonderful review.
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Here is what I just wrote to the Director of Operations:

This is a love letter, because we love the Flatiron Hotel. We have stayed at many different hotels in NYC, but this was our first experience with the Flatiron and it was so fantastic! Here's what we loved:
1. Contacted by e-mail asking for early check-in. Got an immediate reply on a busy day from the night manager Benz A. saying he couldn't promise but would try. It was gracious, courteous, prompt, and immediately gave me a good feeling about the hotel, even if we hadn't gotten our early check-in (we did!).
2. Arrived and felt 100% pampered by everyone; our luggage was whisked up to our room while we checked in, everyone was friendly, cheerful, even working on a holiday!
3. Though all of your staff gets an A+, special mention to Kendra at the front desk. What a gem! I would come again just to see her. There wasn't anything she didn't do. She explained everything about the room, the hotel, the neighborhood. You are lucky to have this wonderful young woman representing you.
4. Great room, perfect size, very comfy beds, lots of pillows, awesome shower. My husband loved the TV on the bathroom mirror!
So, expect to see us again! You are now our go-to hotel.
When I have complaints, I write, but it's only fair to do the same when I have only good things to say. I could go on and on...great neighborhood, grand chairs in the lobby, aquarium that delighted my 8-year-old...next time we will try the restaurant. What you are doing there is remarkable. Thanks to all your staff for making our Thanksgiving stay a perfect treat! Hope you will share these sentiments with them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
A beautiful love letter and greatly appreciated. I have shared your letter with my staff..... Kendra and Benz were delighted they could make your stay with us so wonderful. Happy holidays to you and your family.

Been to Flatiron Hotel? Share your experiences!