“My Love Letter to the Flatiron Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Flatiron Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 West 26th Street, New York City, NY 10010   |
Ranked #209 of 447 hotels in New York City
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
“My Love Letter to the Flatiron Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Here is what I just wrote to the Director of Operations:

This is a love letter, because we love the Flatiron Hotel. We have stayed at many different hotels in NYC, but this was our first experience with the Flatiron and it was so fantastic! Here's what we loved:
1. Contacted by e-mail asking for early check-in. Got an immediate reply on a busy day from the night manager Benz A. saying he couldn't promise but would try. It was gracious, courteous, prompt, and immediately gave me a good feeling about the hotel, even if we hadn't gotten our early check-in (we did!).
2. Arrived and felt 100% pampered by everyone; our luggage was whisked up to our room while we checked in, everyone was friendly, cheerful, even working on a holiday!
3. Though all of your staff gets an A+, special mention to Kendra at the front desk. What a gem! I would come again just to see her. There wasn't anything she didn't do. She explained everything about the room, the hotel, the neighborhood. You are lucky to have this wonderful young woman representing you.
4. Great room, perfect size, very comfy beds, lots of pillows, awesome shower. My husband loved the TV on the bathroom mirror!
So, expect to see us again! You are now our go-to hotel.
When I have complaints, I write, but it's only fair to do the same when I have only good things to say. I could go on and on...great neighborhood, grand chairs in the lobby, aquarium that delighted my 8-year-old...next time we will try the restaurant. What you are doing there is remarkable. Thanks to all your staff for making our Thanksgiving stay a perfect treat! Hope you will share these sentiments with them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sean A, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
A beautiful love letter and greatly appreciated. I have shared your letter with my staff..... Kendra and Benz were delighted they could make your stay with us so wonderful. Happy holidays to you and your family.

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

It was not a as wonderful as i was expecting it on my first stay in this hotel. so i thought of calling the hotel prior to my arrival since i have my pregnant wife with me this time. Mr. Benz the Front Desk Manager took care of everything, he would always come out of his way to make our stay a wonderful one, we were granted an early check in without any fee, higher floor to get a good night sleep on our 5 nights stay. every time we needed assistance front desk staff are always there with a warm smile. i cant thank them enough, my wife was very pleased. Flatiron hotel is definitely my second home whenever i visit the big apple.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Very good hotel. Small rooms that were very comfortable perfect size for a few nights. Staff was extremely helpful. Free internet in NYC?!?! Who would have thought. I will stay there again just for that. My only issue was that I was on the third floor and could hear the band on the lobby bar. Ask for a room on the 4th floor or higher.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've been in a lot of small NYC hotel rooms, but this one would compete for the winner. Room was clean. If you want a very, and I mean very loud night club/lounge in the lobby,this is the place for you. Unless you're above the sixth floor, on the lounge side of the building, you'll be enjoying the music in your room along with everyone in the lobby. Front desk agent was literally yelling at me when I checked in and I could barely hear him. I was also charged for a mini-bar item I didn't consume. It was removed when I asked at check out, but it always feels shifty when random little charges appear on your bill. If you're in your 20s and want to rock it and won't spend any time in your room go for it. The location is great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Mahwah, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed here on a last minute Hotel Tonight booking (no problem using that app here) as a little city getaway, as we do from time to time. Bottom line: this is a beautifully renovated little hotel in a great location with wonderful staff and a loud nighttime lobby.

The building itself is loosely shaped like the nearby Flatiron Building that defines this area. It is right adjacent to Madison Square Park (the first ever Shake Shack is there) and across the street and down a few doors to the popular and delicious Hill Country BBQ, fyi. The all 20-something and 30-something staff are friendly, smart, and service-oriented -- had I had the opportunity I would have loved to sit and chat with the front desk staff as they seemed like such great people. The decor is sort of like what you'd find at Kimpton properties (this is not one) -- a combo of modern with self-conscious ornate touches.

Our room was predictably small but well-appointed and comfortable. For example, our queen bed was a platform bed with storage drawers underneath (note the room safe was housed in one of them). The bathroom was tiled in what looked like alabaster stone (pretty) and the shower had one of those "car wash" type nozzle arrangements that aligned vertically - nice. My only issue with the bathroom was that the mirror above the sink was a bit far away and I kept looking for a magnifying mirror, which wasn't there. There was, however, a TV embedded into the bathroom mirror, complete with a waterproof remote and directions on how to use it. In putting my contacts in in the morning, I'd much rather have had a magnifying mirror!

The one big downside to this place is the nightclub that happens in the lobby, complete with a live band. Coming back from dinner around 11 p.m. we had to wade through a bunch of folks with glasses in hand. It was hard to communicate verbally with the front desk staff even though we were standing right at the front desk because nobody could hear anybody speak. I don't know how the front desk staff stands it. Once we got past the party-goers (and thankful he was there, a security guy) and up to our room, we laughed at how from the third floor it was still pretty loud. My hubby pointed out that you could hear/feel the subway as well. At some point the noise was punctuated with an elevator alarm. With the exception of the subway, this all stopped around 2 a.m. We expected this from reading other Tripadvisor reviews.

So, if you understand what you're getting here, you'll be perfectly satisfied with this hotel. If you are looking for quiet, don't stay here. For us, although we liked so much about this place, we would hesitate to return because we don't really value a party soundtrack to a hotel room.

Room Tip: Our third floor room was quite loud from the lobby.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean A, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
The Flatiron Hotel features a live band six days a week in Toshi's Living Rom. We ask guests that are not party goers to let us know upon making reservations so we can place them on a floor away from the music. Thank you for your review.
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is a nice hotel in a fun of town where I had meetings.

Rooms are very small but newly furnished like many of the newer NYC hotels. Front desk area is a bit crowded and staff not so attentive, but the worst problem is the beds are rock-hard. Two of us stayed last night and we both had the same complaint.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
It's unfortunate you did not find the bed to your liking during your stay with us. We have always received great reviews from our guests pertaining to the comfort of our mattress and bedding. I would greatly appreciate if you could reach out to me with the room number you stayed in so I can personally investigate this matter. Thank you for your review.
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed in a fourth floor corner room overlooking broadway and 26th on a Saturday night. The music in the bar on the first floor was very loud until about 1:30 AM. Otherwise we liked the room, which had many creature features like the mirrored tv built into the bathroom vanity. I also liked the classic architectural design of the room, but the blue lighting in the hallway was garish and tacky. The thing that really disappointed me was that our room keys were deprogrammed at least ten minutes before checkout. We had been out to breakfast and hurried back to our room with ten minutes to spare. Neither key worked. I brought mine downstairs and was told by the receptionist that the locks are programmed to automatically reset a few minutes before checkout. This makes absolutely no sense and I complained to a manager, who was nice enough.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Flatiron Hotel and enjoyed the many gadgets featured in the room...especially the television in the bathroom mirror. I apologize your key was deactivated before your departure. The keys are automatically programmed to deactivate one hour after your scheduled departure...it is possible your key was demagnetized by an electronic devise you may have had on you.

Been to Flatiron Hotel? Share your experiences!