“Closest you can get to the 9/11 memorial (and overlooks it!)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of World Center Hotel

Save Saved
You added World Center Hotel to your Saves list
World Center Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Washington Street, New York City, NY 10006 (Financial District)   |
Special Offer
Book Now and Save More!
Ranked #103 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California, USA
“Closest you can get to the 9/11 memorial (and overlooks it!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The entrance to the hotel is literally 1/2 a block away from the entrance to the 9/11 memorial. Our room was 1404 and overlooked the 2 fountains of the memorial- what a beautiful and amazing view. Water pressure in the shower could be a little better, but great overall hotel with comfortable beds. Love the free water bottles you can use to fill up purified water! Option of free exercise equipment delivered to your room as well.

Room Tip: Room 1404 overlooked the 9/11 memorial
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Zigzag, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Conveniently located to where I needed to be in NYC. I enjoyed my room's layout, bedding was absolutely excellent, good lighting options everywhere; bathroom floor and shower was clean - almost. Construction noise at night was not a factor. My room key kept de-magnetizing every day what eventually caused my being stuck in the hotel's elevator while heading out to the airport. Thanks to the prompt action of the hotel stuff, I was freed. Still, I had an excellent experience with WCH!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks. I just got back today. It was overall a very pleasant experience. When we reached there with a confirmed booking, we were told that some of their guests had extended their stay and it wasn't possible to check us in right away. On the way to NY, I had a sixth sense that there would be a hiccup at the hotel. So it was not entirely unexpected. but it was rather disappointing to reach a hotel at midnight and be put in a situation like this one. Yet, I know that overbooking is a way of life in the travel and hospitality industry. They offered to put us up at the Marriott in Brooklyn. The manager, Daniel said he would do his best to ensure we would be able to check in the next day This guy seemed sincere. So I went along with this. They called for an SUV for us because we had a lot of luggage. we stayed at the Marriott that night. The next morning by eleven am, after I confirmed on the phone, we had another SUV waiting for us and were able to check into the World Center Hotel. They bore the expenses of the SUV and also gave us a weekend night certificate for a free one day stay for two people on twin sharing basis at any Club Quarters Hotel with two weeks advance notice, within the next one year. We paid for the night's stay to World Center Hotel while they paid Marriott for the room. So, while this was an unexpected inconvenience, one we wish we could have avoided, they managed it well.

The room we had opted for was the Superior Room with Terrace and Kitchenette. This offered a good view of Freedom Towers, the traffic on the main road next to the 9-11 memorial and a partial view of The Hudson. I like to have a room with a view because rooms that open into buildings or that have no windows at all feel rather depressing. The 'Terrace' is like a french window that opens in right till the floor. There's a glass panel till about waist level to protect the guests. It's a wonderful view to wake up to every morning. You can draw open the curtains when you sleep at night. The Freedom Tower is lit up all night. So are the other buildings including the World Financial Center. There is a soft hum of traffic during the day and hardly any traffic at night. So, while there's a view, it's not noisy. We could see out to the 9-11 memorial with its waterfalls. One of them was right across and in full view. So were the gardens, which too would be lit up at night. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We had a double bed and a sofa next to the terrace that turned into a double bed. We kept it that way till the end. There is wall to wall carpeting in the rooms and the corridors. The carpets showed signs of wear. This hotel is quite large. They gave us cards to access our rooms and the elevators. We were on the eleventh floor (1104). It seems to be run quite efficiently. We rarely had to call them for anything. Housekeeping would make our beds, clean the room, change the towels, replenish soap and other supplies everyday. I left a $5 tip everyday for housekeeping on the drawer next to the bed. This is not obligatory but I would recommend it to anyone staying in NYC. We only had to call housekeeping on a couple of occasions. Once was when we wanted to open the terrace window completely to take pictures. Someone (Roberto, I think) came over to show us within minutes. He turned down any tips. The second was when water was accumulating in the shower area. This too was attended to promptly.

There is a closet on every floor where you can get soap, coffee, small packs of milk for your coffee, iron, ironing boards etc. There were also empty bottles and a cooler you could fill them from if you wanted to take bottled water with you on your way out. This is a useful feature that we used occasionally. They have a well furnished lobby where you can make your own coffee, tea, green tea or have hot milk. We used this occasionally when we were too tired to head to
Starbucks. There's a Starbucks outlet wherever you look in The Financial District. Their lobby should stock sodas or a vending machine with sodas if they are not inclined to provide them complimentary. Barring a couple of days, the refrigerator was empty. Some of the candy and food in the room that you could consume and be billed for, were past the expiry date. There were only two newspapers in the lobby, The NY Times and The Wall Street Journal, one copy each.

There should ideally be more newspapers or more copies because the lobby has quite a few people hanging around. There are several computers in the lobby with access to the internet and at any given time there are some that are free. You can print out boarding passes at no cost. All of this is convenient for business travelers though I preferred to use my phone and tablet. They have Wi-fi throughout the hotel at no extra fee. This is something some hotels charge a fee for and it was nice not having to pay extra for it. I used a local ISP for internet outside the hotel for my phone and the hotel's Wi-fi for my tablet.

They also have a fitness room in the hotel, which was perhaps the only disappointing aspect of this hotel. The fitness room was about the size of my room, which was about 250 square feet in size I think. The fitness room has no view and no windows. They have TVs attached to the treadmills with some boring channels. There are three treadmills, a couple of cycles and a couple of other pieces of heavy equipment. It also has dumbbells. There was a mat for the first few days and then it disappeared. On some days there would be no hand sanitizer in the machine that dispenses it. There were no towels initially and then there were some intermittently. The can with wipes for wiping the equipment was empty. I went to the gym almost everyday but there were never more than four people including me. This probably explains why it is not a priority for them. Nevertheless, basic supplies must be ensured. I'm positive if I had called housekeeping, they would have taken care of it but I didn't bother to.

Their terrace restaurant is a nice place, with a view from the 20th floor. Their food was average and reasonably priced for a restaurant of that type. It's worth visiting for some food and a photo opportunity if nothing else. Don't expect to see the sunrise or sunset or anything. This building, although twenty stories, is dwarfed by much taller buildings around it.

Even after booking this hotel, I had reservations about The Financial District because Lonely Planet described the area as being 'desolate' in the evening. This is only partly true. There are so many cops in this area because of the 9-11 memorial that you are rarely more than fifty feet away from one. So, it's a pretty safe area. There is no night life in this area. The day starts early. You can get breakfast as early as six at some restaurants and some shut down at 7 pm. This area is very well connected to the rest of the city by Subway. All you will need is a Metro card. Get the $30 7-day unlimited ride card and you won't need anything else to move around the city. Download applications for your phone that will help you decide which subway to take. Also, go by Google maps. There are several subway stations within less than a mile of The World Center Hotel. Broadway is walking distance from here. Broadway is very very large. So don't expect to walk down to watch Broadway shows. You do have your metro card to get around for that! The area around this hotel shuts down gradually in the evening and you will probably find it difficult to get dinner at a good restaurant after 7 pm. If you're the partying type then The Financial District is not for you. You can have dinner in some other area and return much later. This area seems safe because of the presence of so many cops. We would start our day early at five and be back in the hotel by eight after a day of sightseeing, exploring and walking around. If you're looking to shop, Century 21 has all the branded stuff you need at discounts. It's so close, you can walk down, shop and come back to drop your bags in your hotel room. This is what we did. There are some very good restaurants in this area you can depend on for breakfast. One of the best was Variety Cafe at 65 Broadway. There's Starbucks, Subway, McDonalds and many other restaurant chains within half a mile. You can also walk down to Amish Market, a supermarket and restaurant to eat in or buy food to warm up in your hotel room. They have everything edible you will probably need.

Checking out with this hotel was also a breeze. They had everything ready, the SUV we asked for arrived on time. The bell boy disappeared before I could give him the five dollars I had taken out of my wallet! This is an impersonal hotel because of how large it is but it is quite efficiently run. Overall an excellent experience. I would stay here again if visiting NYC and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Take the Super room with a Terrace and Kitchenette. Room 1104 has a good view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My spouse and I travel to NYC 7-8 times a year for a long weekend getaway to the "Big Apple" and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Our room was very clean and comfortable and the walk-in shower was great, with a stationary/hand-held combination shower head that was adjustible and powerful - no wimply water-saver shower head here! The other amenities - free bottled water in the hallways, free internet, free internet-connected computers in the comfy lobby with free printing were great perks that we greatly appreciated. We've stayed at some big name 4-star hotels in this same area and had to pay for these same amenities that were free here. The location was also great, in close proximity to many NYC sights, shops and eateries. We also loved the availablity of so many subway lines in this area that made our travel throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn easy and stress-free. We will definitely stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it to others travelling to NYC!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Even though it is major construction site outside you are not bothered by noice during the night. Great location to explore Manhattan, rooms come with complimentary bottled water (unlimited) and iPads. :)

• Stayed May 2013
San Francisco, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at the WCH for a conference (which was taking place at the Marriott, which is right around the corner). The hotel room was compact but very well laid out and is very modern--despite the construction going on in the WTC area (which seems to be running 20+ hours a day) I was never disturbed in my room thanks to the excellent soundproofing. While I got my pass for the WTC memorial through the conference, the hotel also has them available as a courtesy, which is a nice touch given that it saves you line time :) Also, late checkout (till 3pm) is available for just $35 more, which is a steal (I think you can stay until 6pm for $65 or so).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Plattsburgh, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Great location in lower Manhattan; it was an easy walk to Battery Park City, where I went for a workshop. Although there is construction outside, it is quiet inside. It is an older building, but looks like the entire hotel was remodeled recently. It is modern and comfortable - I'd stay again.

Room Tip: I used Hotwire and appreciate the value.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to World Center Hotel? Share your experiences!