“FORGET THE REST - THIS IS THE BEST!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harlem Renaissance House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Harlem Renaissance House B&B
You added Harlem Renaissance House B&B to your Saves list
237 W 139th St, New York City, NY 10030 (Harlem)   |
Ranked #4 of 90 New York City B&B and Inns
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“FORGET THE REST - THIS IS THE BEST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We're still counting our blessings that we stayed at the Harlem Renaissance House.
We had a beautiful room in a stunning B&B in a very select, smart part of Harlem.
Just minutes away from the nearest subway station, we were perfectly based to get in and out of downtown very easily.
But the best bit of all was meeting Rick.
A supremely talented, witty and charismatic guy, he's a natural-born storyteller and raconteur.
Rick kept us entertained and amused for hours - we could have stayed for weeks and not got bored!
He knows New York inside out.
What he doesn't know about the most energy-crazed city I've ever been to could be quite happily written on the back of a postage stamp.
Stay with Rick at the Harlem Renaissance House - you'll have the time of your lives.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had a fantastic stay at the Harlem Renaissance House - great location, quiet, green and safe area, and really convenient for getting downtown. Beautiful house - immaculately clean. Rick was extremely friendly and really helpful. We thought it was excellent value for money and will absolutely be back next time we are in NYC - it really added to our whole experience of the city. Thank you!

Saskatoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Just got back from a week long trip at Harlem Renaissance and had a fantastic stay. The house is clean, spacious and quiet yet it has a lived in feeling and isn't sterile or formal. The location is perfect and within easy walking distance to both the red and blue/orange lines. The neighbourhood is completely safe with many wonderful restaurants close by. The host Rick is always there to help and is great company at a nice light breakfast of fruit and pastry. Will definitely be back our next time in New York.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I had the best time with my stay at Harlem Renaissance House. This bed and breakfast is housed inside a beautiful building at a great location in Harlem. The place is very well kept, clean and nicely decorated. It was well-suited to the comforts I look for when I travel. The neighborhood felt safe and I had no problems traveling to and from this B&B at anytime of day or night. Rick, the owner, is an extremely interesting man who holds a wealth of knowledge about the community and New York living. I found him very engaging and attentive to my needs as his guest. I would stay here again and almost want this place to be my little secret. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms will do. The whole place is nice. There are a lot of stairs if you stay on the h...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I first stayed at Harlem Renaissance back in 2008 for a job interview after never having been to NYC before. I moved to NYC in 2009 and lived in the city for just under 3 years in Harlem, partly because of my experience at the B&B during my initial visit. I know NYC pretty well and there are many places I could have stayed at, but decided to go back to this particular B&B because there really isn't any other place like it. Its a beautiful building the rooms are immaculate, a great neighbourhood and Rick is a great host. This place was wonderful back in 2008 and its still just as wonderful 6 years later, showing that Rick is clearly not resting on his laurels. Impressive!

Room Tip: I have a personal preference for Suite 2 over Suite 1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed twice at this quiet, charming, historic B&B in the heart of Harlem. We have enjoyed it enormously both times. Rick, the owner, is knowledgable about the City and the local area. He recommended two restaurants for us within easy walking distance, and both were excellent. The rooms are very spacious and private, with in room bath, a large closet and a flat screen TV. The best part of all, though, is the peace of the house and the neighborhood after a busy day in the city. And when you're ready for more excitement, the subway is within an easy 3 block walk. Rates are extremely reasonable, as well. We go to NYC about once per year, and I know we'll be staying with Rick again.

Stayed April 2014
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

As an experienced traveler I would definitely recommend Harlem Renaissance House to anyone. First, it's located in a very nice part of Harlem: clean, quite, safe and full of historic buildings and beautiful row houses. Second, a subway station is literally next block. So, if you catch the right train it takes almost no time to get to the Central Park or Broadway. Third, my room was spacious, decorated with decent taste and actually huge, especially compare to those tiny closets (mistakenly called rooms) in some chain hotels. Fourth, it was relatively inexpensive. Fifth, Rick and Boris were absolutely friendly and helpful. One morning Rick spent almost half an hour trying to figure out the best route to City Island (Bronx) at my request. AND there was free breakfast every morning with a fruit salad, croissants and tea.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Harlem Renaissance House B&B? Share your experiences!