“Perfect, honeymoon stay at Distrikt Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Distrikt Hotel

Save Saved
You added Distrikt Hotel to your Saves list
Distrikt Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   342 West 40th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Offers & Announcements
UP TO 20% OFF ROOM RATE
Ranked #17 of 452 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perfect, honeymoon stay at Distrikt Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Our stay could not have been better. We stayed at Distrikt for the 1st week of our honeymoon. The customer service we received daily from the staff on the desk or door staff was so friendly & attentive. The one thing we had been warned about in NYC was small rooms, not in this case. Decent size, good spec, nice bathroom, spotless, we were delighted. We were the 29th floor so we could just about catch sight of the Empire State Building which was a pleasant surprise. The location was perfect, a few mins walk from Times Square, handy for bus & subway also. We did NYC by foot so being central was ideal. Overall, we were absolutely delighted by the Distrikt Hotel & can't thank them enough. If / when we get back to NYC we will def stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
gmdistrikt, General Manager at Distrikt Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
It is so exciting to have guests celebrating special occasions, and the team gets especially happy when we get to welcome honeymooners! Thank you for your review and recognition of the team's efforts with service. We can't wait to welcome you back!

3,163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
South England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

The staff at this hotel were amazing. They gave us so much local knowledge including a great diner for breakfast (westway) and advice about the subway. The port authority bus terminal has an entrance directly opposite the hotel and has a subway and shopping mall inside (including pharmacy/drugstore and newsagent). Our hotel room overlooked the Hudson so we could watch the 4th July fireworks. The room was beautiful. Times square was just a couple of minutes walk away. We always felt safe in nyc

Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband, son and I just stayed 4 nights at the Distrikt Hotel. The staff was incredible!!! We would highly recommend this hotel. Each floor have only 5 rooms so it is intimate and cozy. The room was clean and furnishings were beautiful. You need to use the hotel room key to use the elevator which is an extra nice security feature. There was ALWAYS a doorman/bellman in the lobby also! The hotel is only 3 years old and is only a short walk from Times Square. I often read reviews on Tripadvisor but rarely think to leave one myself. This is definitely worth letting others know about. We would definitely stay here again. Only a few blocks from the Lincoln Tunnel if you are driving in. Huge PLUS!

Green Features: Hotel uses environmentally friendly practices which we appreciate!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for adding your pictures to the gallery! We love how we look!!! We are thrilled we were able to be part of your family getaway, and thank you for your observations and endorsement of our service and amenities. We are so glad you took the time to review us on Trip Advisor...thanks again!
Edinburgh, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I cannot understand some of the comments being left here about the Distrikt !!! Slow remote control, I mean come on !!! Who goes to the fabulous NYC to watch TV ????????? There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with this lovely hotel. I have been going to NYC for 17 years (on holiday) and have stayed in the Waldorf, the Metro, the Comfort Inn Manhattan and Washington Square hotel and when I found the little gem that is the Distrikt I thought I had won the lottery !!!! The team are just fantastic never have I come across staff in a hotel like them (well apart from Scotland), they would do anything for you. They are a hive of information. I love that the hotel is small and you feel it is a secret little place in the vast city of Manhattan. The beds........ well said before, so comfortable, I felt as if I was sleeping on a cloud ! The rooms/bathroom have everything you need and having coffee in the room for the US is wonderful, as is the free refreshments in the reception. Where can you get this (at their prices) in NYC????? The cocktails are the best and the breakfast all you can eat for $12, that is not bad at all in my estimation. The location is right bang in the middle of Manhattan, I love that I can walk anywhere from here. Yes granted the street is not Park Avenue, but you are NOT paying Park Avenue prices. This is my 6th stay at the Distrikt and I would not dream of going anywhere else, and lots of my friends who have also stayed there feel exactly the same!!! I walk in the door having not seen them for maybe a year and the smiles of hello and saying my name is just like being a part of their family. Well done Distrikt team, I look forward to seeing your smiley faces next time I visit.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My mom and I stayed at the Distrikt for 5 nights in early July. From the moment we walked in we were treated like long lost family. No matter who we dealt with from the hotel (front desk, room service, maintenance) they were all so bubbly and cheerful - to say that they are amazing at their jobs is an understatement.

The rooms were nicely appointed, thankfully the air conditioning was working perfectly, the location is a short walk to times square and alot of good restaurants.

Yes it is a bit busy being located right across the street from the port authority bus terminal but to be honest, it's New York, everywhere is busy!

I would recommend this hotel without hesitation and look forward to staying here again the next time I visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors to try and offset some of the road noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gmdistrikt, General Manager at Distrikt Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
We are so happy that you both enjoyed your stay at Distrikt! Our team is going to be very pleased to read how they made your stay better, thank you for recognizing their efforts. Of course, the greatest compliment is that you will return, and we truly look forward to welcoming you back!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Just returned after a week in NYC. The title says it all about the hotel. I knew from previous reviews that the hotel was good but it was great to experience it first hand. From first arrival to leaving, the staff could not be more helpful and reassuring. They would happily help you by looking up restaurants and bars and then printing out maps and stuff for you.
The hotel itself is a very modern and modest looking for hotel that felt like a very safe environment to be staying in. The coming and going of people never felt like it crowded the hotel. It's location meant that times square was less than a two minute walk and 9th avenue was just round the corner with an endless selection of bars, restaurants and grocery/liquor stores. We tried and few and weren't disappointed. Try Thai select or Ember if you like thai. If you are a walker then this place is for you. The freedom tower was only an hour walk from the hotel so hopefully that gives you an idea everything is within walking distance if you wanted to. But don't worry there are subway stations just a street along.
The finishing touches were what made the hotel stand out for me with the fancy infused water in the lobby, free New York times every morning, chocolates and a weather update card the maid would leave everyday. The room service was great and kept the already spacious and luxurious room very tidy. My other half said it was the most comfortable bed she has ever slept in, which is what you need after a day in the city!
Cannot fault the place and if we ever went back we would definately be checking out the Distrikt hotel for accomodation before anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2013
We like the spelling of that! Thanks so much for your review and for sharing your experience and great recommendations to fellow TripAdvisor readers! We love 9th Avenue...it's like a treasure trove of restaurants and pubs...definitely something for everyone...we are so glad you explored. We do hope we can welcome you back soon!
Menlo Park, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Sooooo I am going to have to dissent a bit from all the great reviews :( My main issue was honestly the location - specifically, being so close to Port Authority - just a little shifty immediately by the terminal itself. The hotel itself is perfectly nice; and the price, by NYC standards, is very appealing. But I did think there was a bit of a trade-off in having chosen this hotel primarily based on price......

Here's what I would highlight, both positively and negatively:

Pros:
- Really friendly staff, as others have noted
- Clean, quiet rooms
- Free WiFi!
- Sleek and modern (if minimal) decor
- Good-sized, very nice bathroom
- Price, as I've mentioned, is 'decent' for NYC

Cons:
- Location, as I've noted - just saw more than my fair share of New York characters / smelled more smells near to the hotel / around Port Authority....saw a REALLY bad fight break out while getting takeout from a place down the block (cops came, guns were pulled, etc)...an adult store a free doors down...etc. Don't mean to be a wuss, and I realize this is New York, but, eek. Just haven't seen all that in other trips I've made!
- Just want to note - my husband found the bed comfortable, but I'm a side sleeper and found the bed too firm - did a lot of tossing and turning.
- The AC was a large unit under the window and was VERY strong coming right from it but dissipated pretty quickly - so to keep the room at a semi-decent temperature in the half not by the unit meant the half by the unit was freezing.
- Small detail, but the TV remote was super slow to respond.

I'm on the picky side, so I'm sure most people would be fine here - and I *do* really think the hotel is well-run, very well-staffed, and if anything, is classing up that block! Also, yes, you're close to Times Square. But I'm now realizing that when I go to New York, given that I'm already going to have to pay a big mark-up just for even being in Manhattan, it's worth it to me to pay a little more to stay in a chicer location with a few more frills :P

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
gmdistrikt, General Manager at Distrikt Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
It is so very difficult for us to respond to reviews like this. On one hand, we feel a great loss at not being able to exceed expectations for a guest, and knowing you will not return to us is disappointing. On the other, we are very proud that most within our doors met and even possibly passed your expectations. We do thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor, and are grateful that you tried our hotel.

Been to Distrikt Hotel? Share your experiences!