“Great hotel with fantastic service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Distrikt Hotel

Save Saved
You added Distrikt Hotel to your Saves list
Distrikt Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   342 West 40th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Special Price
BOOK NOW! UP TO 15% OFF
Ranked #18 of 455 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great hotel with fantastic service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was my first ever trip to NYC and booked the Distrikt based on reviews read here. I have to say I was not at all disappointed. The room was a little smaller than others I've stayed in in the US, but it was by no means small. The beds were comfortable with ample pillows and cushions. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. I loved the turn-down service complete with chocolates and the next days weather forecast. The bar/dining room was very pleasant. The bar was well stocked. All the staff were absolutely excellent - Really friendly and helpful. They always had time to greet you and even chat. This Distrikt is a boutique hotel rather than a large, grand affair, but it is well situated - just 10 mins walk to Times Square (less if you walk like a New Yorker!). There's a subway just up the street that will get you uptown, and there are plently of bars, restuarants and broadway theatres close by. The room has free wi-fi which was a bonus. I really enjoyed my stay and highly recommend the Distrikt.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, as are rooms at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
gmdistrikt, General Manager at Distrikt Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you so very much for listening to fellow Trip Advisor users and booking Distrikt! We are beyond pleased that we were able to live up to your expectations and that the team made your first time in NYC a memorable one!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for 10 nights to celebrate my 21st birthday and an anniversary. Absolutely amazing. Words can't express! Best hotel I've stayed in. Staff went above and beyond to make our stay special including a hand written card and a couple of cakes for our anniversary! Special thanks to Hugo for recommending a nice place to eat and welcoming us so well. Fab attention to detail. Room was clean and modern. Loved the bath robe and the lovely bath goodies. My boyfriend loved the coffee machine in the room so much he's gonna get one for us. Great location right next to 9th avenue loads of lovely restaurants. Central enough to walk to most places. Definitely book this hotel - would come back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Higher floor is better. We stayed on 26 and not much noise so I'd ask for a high floor.
Green Features: Brilliant - optional every other day sheet change and also optional when you change your towels.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
gmdistrikt, General Manager at Distrikt Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We like your instructions! Thank you for your lovely review of Distrikt, we were excited to share in your special celebration and are so very glad you enjoyed the amenities and service!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I arrived exhausted and upset. I was pampered and treated like a king! I got over my mood and enjoyed my stay like none other.
The hotel is great in most all ways: giant comfortable bed, very clean room, well stocked, and very well maintained. But the people there are the simply the best I've ever seen before in NYC. Not only friendly and extremely competent; but also able to anticipate my needs and help me enjoy my visit even more. I will continue to go back for the simple reason that there is no need to compromise. They just do it all and they do it right!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
gmdistrikt, General Manager at Distrikt Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
There is nothing better than hearing how we were able to make a bumpy arrival to NYC smooth after some Distrikt TLC! Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we truly appreciate you sharing your experience!
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel is an absolute gem. Sure, it's not the fanciest place in town but who goes to NYC to kick around their hotel? Staff are great, very welcoming, and full of recommendations of places to eat, drink etc. We had a Grandview king room which was a good size, bed was very comfy and the shower fantastic. We didn't sample the food in the hotel so can't comment on that. We felt perfectly safe walking in the neighbourhood around the hotel and its location is perfect to explore the city. Wifi was free and very fast. Thank you Distrikt!

Room Tip: Go for as high a floor as possible
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you staying with us and for recognizing our amazingly wonderful team and amenities!
Liverpool, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in March 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The communal areas are very well presented, the staff were very friendly and helpful, and our room was really nice - clean, modern, decent size and a tea/coffee machine in the room was a great bonus.

Free use of Internet and free printing in the reception area was handy as we needed to print off various tickets.

The location is great, a great starting point for heading out in all directions across Manhattan, and close to all the transport links. The street itself isn't wonderful as there's a sex shop and parole office a few buildings along, but we never ever felt unsafe (that goes for the whole city as well as our street) so don't let that put you off.

The only negatives (and I'm scraping the barrel here!) were that the view from our window was directly facing another high-rise building (we'd unrealistically hoped for a decent view across the city!) but we spent so little time in the room that it didn't matter, and also our shower head was a bit broken so water squirted in all directions including out of the shower cubicle. If we had mentioned it to reception I'm sure they'd have fixed it or moved us but it just wasn't that much of a problem, so they're not going to lose any points over that!

This hotel definitely deserves all of it's great reviews, I would recommend it 100%.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor! We are quite pleased that we were able to make your stay a pleasant one, and that you found our amenities helpful. We wish we could give everyone amazing views, but unfortunately that's not always possible. If you do return to us, please let us know so we can guide you to our Grandview rooms!
Guernsey, Channel Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently made my 3rd stay at this hotel and I continue to be impressed. This 3rd stay was for my 40th Birthday and the whole stay was fantastic.

Having stayed twice before, I was keen to see if the high level of service was maintained and I can honestly say that it is. Being back at this hotel was a pleasure from the moment we checked in until the day we left. The staff at the Distrikt are very professional and clearly love being part of this amazing hotel.

We had a City View room on the 26th Floor with views out to the Hudson. The room was of a generous size, with ample room for two people and the beds are so comfortable. As this stay was for my birthday, a birthday treat was waiting for us in our room on arrival, which was a lovely and enjoyable surprise.

A very warm welcome upon arrival and many a welcome back from staff that remembered us from last years visit, which was totally amazing given the number of guests that must pass though in a year. We were always greeted with a smile whenever we pass by the front desk with either a "Have a nice day" or a "Welcome Back".

Some reviews have commented negatively about the location of the hotel and that it is in an undesirable street, however, I have never felt any unease or concerns about the location and walking to the hotel at any time of day was never a problem.

I have recommended staying here to friends and I will not hesitate to stay here again when I next return to New York.

In my opinion, this is a great hotel in a great location and if you are contemplating staying here, don't hesitate, go ahead,and book.

Green Features: The hotel is very environmentally focused using renewable energy and it's policies on linen reuse assist with limiting the impact on the environment.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I hope I can respond when you review us after 20 years! Thank you so much for your loyalty and for spending your special day with us. We are especially grateful for your interaction on Facebook! Come back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I enjoyed staying at this hotel, but well,,, unless I get a complimentary voucher or at least 50% discount, I wouldn’t choose again probably.

Good-
Staffs were very friendly and helpful.
The ambience in the room was modern and cool.
The bed and pilow was extremely comfy! This was the best I’ve had ever so far.
I love the environmentally-friendly policy, such as towel and linen reuse and cruelty-free restroom amenties.

Not good-
Fridge in the room is a kind of vending machine, not able to keep my food at all.
Has only one restaurant, but provides only simple menus which can’t be a meal.
The location is convenient, but the environment around this place wasn’t pleasant.

Room Tip: As always, higher is better!
Green Features: The restroom amenties are vegan and cruelty-free. Towel and linen reuse program is what I pursue.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of Distrikt. We are so very proud of our focus on the environment, and thank you for pointing our linen program out to fellow Trip Advisor readers! For those concerned, we also source 100% of our electric from Wind and Solar. For future, we do encourage our guests to request a mini-fridge if they would like to store personal items. We were a little confused with the menu critique as we have full breakfasts and steaks for dinner, but do try to encourage guests to experience the amazing cuisines outside our doors!

Been to Distrikt Hotel? Share your experiences!