“The Uspcale Russian Place in NYC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mari Vanna

Mari Vanna
41 E 20th St 10003, New York City, NY 10010 (Manhattan)
(212) 777-1955
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mari Vanna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #482 of 11,776 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Russian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 6 & R trains to 23rd Street.
New York, New York, United States
“The Uspcale Russian Place in NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a very nice Upscale Russian Restaurant where the is a nice family ambiance, where you will have an original Russian menu experience. Come early and have a drink at the bar with your friends, then take your table! Decor is very original, Service is very good !

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Great drinks, disappointing service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We went to Mari Vanna yesterday for my boyfriend's birthday. The house-infused vodka is great, so are the cocktails. I would probably go back with friends just for drinks. The food was not my favorite, but I am very picky. My boyfriend liked it. Music was so loud we could barely talk to each other. I had asked them to put a candle on the dessert to celebrate the birthday in a comment to my Open Table reservation, and I even called them to confirm (btw the person who answered the phone was rude and told me "Yes, we know. We can read your comment on open table!". And they forgot! Super-disappointed. :(

Visited April 2013
Boston
“Russian comfort food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

You won’t lose weight or improve your health by going to Mari Vanna, but you will undoubtedly come out a little happier. Even without the vodka. It’s a welcoming and friendly place, and the servers are glad to explain what the various dishes are.

For our appetizer we had the smoked fish plate, which included salmon, sturgeon, and butterfish. We were especially impressed by the butterfish with its rich flavor. One of our main dishes was the golubtzi (“little doves,” or stuffed cabbage leaves). We were familiar with the numerous Polish versions of this dish and were interested to find this Russian version so sophisticated and refined (the filling was ground filet mignon)—more suitable to an aristocrat’s table than a peasant’s hut. More appropriate for the hut was our other main course, the pelmeni, little dumplings stuffed with ground veal and boiled in chicken broth, brought to the table in a crockery bowl covered with a colorful peasant’s hat to keep them warm. Now we know why so many Russians are so big and jolly. With our meal we had two glasses of an excellent Cotes du Rhone.

Mari Vanna is definitely a place to return to and try the full range of Russian dishes.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Great Russian restaurant in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This place is really really good!!!I love the decor.I love places which tell stories.Mary Vanna is one of them.Once you get in you feel like you stopped by someone's apartment in Russia during communism.Its cosy and friendly.But what makes the restaurant is obviously food.The food is absolutely fantastic.I am Russian myself and know very well how the dishes should be prepared,so let me tell you,that everything is done the way it is supposed to be and this is why it's so delicious.I definitely recommend this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NY
“Not that great at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Don't be fooled with all these reviews. It's an expensive place and quite ordinary. Don't come here for an ambience, it's not here.

• Visited March 2013