“Great Hotel, Location and Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   337 West 39th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #126 of 449 hotels in New York City
Selden, New York
“Great Hotel, Location and Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

I would highly recommend this hotel if you want to stay within walking distance to Times Square. It is a quick 4 block walk to Penn Station or Times Square. The hotel staff was exceptional and the hot/cold breakfast each morning was delicious. There is reasonable parking across the street from the hotel without having to valet park. The rooms were a good size for the city, clean, updated, and the bed was very comfortable. I will be staying here in the future for my NYC trips.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

1,164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

The hotel is centrally located on 39th Street W.-For those visiting NYC for leisure everything is at your fingertips-you are about 5 minutes from Times Square and 10 minutes from R. Center. The rooms are small-and tight but typical size for NYC. I was surprised that there was no fridge in the room.

The staff at the breakfast nook were quite helpful-I needed my own breakfast to be heated each morning and they were more than willing to do this. There is a coffee/tea bar set up all day.

However it is the little things that kept me from giving this hotel a very good. The hotel only has two elevators. It is ridiculous that in the morning hours when people are having breakfast/leaving housekeeping is using the elevators. Waits for the elevator could be quite long-I have no patience and chose to take the stairs most mornings. Even during the off hours you needed to wait for the elevator. When my colleague was leaving she waited 30 minutes for an empty elevator and in fear of missing her flight dragged her luggage down the stairs. Having used the stairs I was not impressed that I needed to step over housekeepings garbage bags in the stairwell.

One of my biggest peeves with hotels are missing amenities that should be checked on by housekeeping. Do not leave me with 1/4 roll of toilet paper and an almost empty kleenex box-Not impressed to be using the bathroom only to realize there is no more tp. Also, replace my cups daily-there is a reason I am using them. I do not feel like walking downstairs to get more cups. The room had a coffee maker-but no glass container for the water to drip into. Once again, not as important as the tp-but when I wake up and want to make coffee/tea I expect to be able to. These are the little things that housekeeping should be checking on and replacing.

My colleague and I extended our trip-she booked part of it and I booked the latter part. I contacted the hotel a month in advance to ensure we could stay in the same room. Likewise I confirmed this when I checked in. Shocking the night before the rsvp changed from hers to mine I was told we would have to move. To pack up a hotel room just to switch is quite annoying and more important time consuming.

The concierge service is not that great-they gave me the wrong address for Bloomingdales and could not answer basic questions about popular events in NY.

The public restroom is in the basement away from the breakfast nook.

Would I stay here again-for the location yes. The hotel was clean and convenient. Someone mentioned the shower head being high-that is an understatement it was almost too high for me to adjust.

I am not sure what is going on with the suggestions on the taxi service. I was told the hotel could not call a taxi for me only a private car.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
candleTS, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South, responded to this review, June 6, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Although we showed some areas for improvement during your stay we truly appreciate you bringing these areas to our attention. We were very happy to see that everyone on the staff was very ready and willing to assist you with your breakfast needs. Your comments have been noted and will surely be topics of discussion amongst our department heads as we continue to strive for exemplary guest experiences. We hope that you continue to choose the Hampton Inn Times Square South for your future travels to NYC and hope that you continue your patronage with Hampton Inn.

Thank You and Safe Travels.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

We went for a short NYC vacation and chose this hotel due to the price and proximity to Times Square. The value for the price was excellent. The complimentary breakfast was adequate and a nice perk to help start our days. The room was small but clean and very adequate, particularly since we went to NYC to experience the city and not necessarily the hotel. The only real drawback was that the hot water in the shower wasn't consistent. The customer service was very good. While the hotel isn't right on Times Square, it's just off the beaten path and within very reasonable walking distance. The proximity to the subway was great too. We would stay here again as it was a great value.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences during your most recent travels to the "Big Apple." We are ecstatic to see that our team has met your service standards and are very happy to know that your stay and visit to NYC was an enjoyable and productive experience. As a team here at the Hampton Inn we strive to maintain exemplary service and it is very rewarding to us all when we have the opportunity to hear back from our satisfied guests. We hope you continue to choose Hampton Inn as your preferred hotels chain, and hopefully Hampton Inn Times Square as your preferred hotel in NYC.

Have an enjoyable summer.
Memphis, Tennessee

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

We were pleased with our hotel stay- very clean, staff were friendly, nice sized room, mostly quiet, bed was comfortable. If you want to save some $, the breakfast is ok- better selection than the usual continental fare but quality is just average. I brought my own cereal- hotel provided a mini fridge upon request, and I just picked up some milk down the street. Next time we will stay in a different part of the city, but if you want to be close to all the action this is it. Tip for good eats- Carnegie's Deli. Awesome food and great service. Be prepared- the portions are HUGE- plan to split your order!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Zululand, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

The staff are most certainly what would make me return to this hotel...from the doormen & bellhops to the housekeepers & concierge, everybody was exceptionally eager to please. The rooms were clean and comfortable, although dated in there furnishings and somewhat small, but the free breakfast and free tea/coffee station in the lobby was a godsend.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

I have just come back from New York I stayed in Hampton inn time square its only 3 star but the service in a 5 star its clean tidy and the staff are so helpful and breakfast was great too

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South? Share your experiences!