“Excellent Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   337 West 39th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
9/11 Memorial Package
Ranked #156 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Torn about the stars - a 5 star experience in a 3-4 star category hotel. A better experience than several 5 star hotels at which I've stayed in NYC. Not a large room, but definitely bigger and cleaner than various 5 star hotels I was in, and at least same size as average NYC hotel room. Would feel cramped for more than 2, but again, no different than other NYC hotels. Very clean; room felt newly refurbished; water pressure, shower, toilet - all mechanical items in perfect working order. Quiet except for moderate noise from room AC (unavoidable, window units are rarely quiet). 30+ floors, but each floor only 6 rooms, was in room 1304, the, "04" rooms are away from elevator and ice machine. Customer service from EVERY single person (interacted with several) was absolutely outstanding - very warm and efficient. One reviewer said they need block-out curtains - they DO have them, but I for one couldn't figure them out so had to call for help (they're a bit hidden). Excellent location, close to Port Authority (bus and subway) and all transportation, as well as many activities around Times Square. Small gym. Brkfst included, a good value all around. If you want room service, a restaurant, a spa, or to be hanging out in a luxury hotel, this is not it. Otherwise, all those things are in walking distance, and this hotel was a great experience.

Room Tip: Higher rooms of course have less street noise. Floor # and, "04" rooms are away from elev...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
GeneralManagerTS, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
It was an absolute pleasure having you here with us! Thank you so much for your kind words and great tips for our future guests!! We hope to see you back very soon. Enjoy the rest of your Summer!

Kind regards,

Hampton Inn team!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Location and service were amazing! Only a short walk to times square and Broadway we stayed in the heart of it all! Room was very clean, but on the small side, that is to be expected when traveling to a place like NYC though. The breakfast was always well prepared and quite delicious. The staff at this hotel were absolutely amazing! They were super friendly, knowledgeable, and were willing to help you in anyway possible. Alex Orteja was extremely helpful, he greeted us at the door and helped us with our luggage. He even remembered our names and always said hello any time he saw us throughout our entire trip. Also the gentleman that worked at the desk, Chris was absolutely fantastic. Very friendly, helpful and had great recommendations with restaurants and what to do in the beautiful city. We looked forward to seeing Alex and Chris every day. Overall, we had a wonderful trip, and would defiantly stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerTS, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Thank you for the very lovely review!!! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so very much! I will definitely let Alex and Chris know how very helpful they were to you. Please come back to visit us soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Good location and good service. A little oasis in the bussle of NYC. Helpful front desk and concierge for travel destinations. Great air conditioning in a very humid time. Breakfast surprising good but be early as does get busy. Great touch with cookies available at front desk in early evening. Great breakfast staff. Walking distance to Times Square and Empire State Building and easy walking distance to subway

Room Tip: Good room on 16th floor facing the 39th st.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review! It makes me so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at our "little oasis in the bussle of NYC". One of our biggest plus is that we are so very close to so many polular atractions but yet our hotel is located in a nice discreet spot. Please come back to visit us soon!
Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

One of the worst Hilton experiences I have ever had. I would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel. The front desk staff were a bunch of young kids who did not care about customer service. I arrived at the hotel at 2:30pm (check-in is at 3pm) and as a Gold Hilton Honor's member, I couldn't check in early. The problem was I had to leave immediately for a conference thatI started at 3:30pm. I was hoping to refresh in my room and change clothes. Instead, I had to change in the dingy bathroom downstairs and leave my luggage at the front desk.

When I arrived back at the hotel 3 hours later, Chris (at the front desk) made it sounds like he was doing a HUGE favor for me by giving me a room key because the Hilton Honor's number was in my husband's name (even though my husband was staying at the hotel with me). When I commented that he wasn't doing me a HUGE favor because the reservation was in my name, he then started "loudly" saying, "I'm so sorry I offended you" over and over and then went into this long monologue about the internet service. All I wanted was to get my room key, go the room and cool down, but instead Chris held my room key hostage while he finished his speech.

Once I was in my room and preparing to go to bed, I wanted to close the drapes to block out the light from the street. Much to my surprise, their drapes do not close, so if you are sensitive to light when trying to sleep, good luck! You will also find in their king-size rooms, the bed sheet is was too short and only comes up about half-way up your body. In order for you to be fully under the sheet, you have to untuck it front the foot of the bed.

There are also only two elevators in this hotel, in the middle of a cramped hallway. I waited almost 10 minutes for an elevator.

I don't know if their training is lacking, or if they don't properly screen their prospective employees, but I will never stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All type of feedback is valuable to us. I'm sorry to hear you we did not meet your expectations. We do have a guaranteed check-in time of 3:00 p.m and we do offer a early check-in request service but only if the room is available at the time. For security purposes we can only give a room key to the exact name on the reservation but for future references during your time of booking you are more than welcome to add an extra name on the reservation for your convenience. We would love to have you back so maybe you can give us a second try on your next trip to New York City. If not, we wish you and family the very best.
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My family of 4 with two young boys stayed at this hotel for our first trip to NYC. The reception staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast staff were efficient and helped with our peanut allergy son to get food that was safe to eat. The cleaning staff were thorough and provided nice touches with towel art!

The hotel has 6 rooms per floor with 2 elevators to service 32 floors. While the elevators were busy during breakfast and check out times, you usually only had to wait for one or two elevators for your turn. I recommend packing your family in tightly with the other guests and just ride it out.

The hotel stored luggage if your check out time was prior to your next destination. I liked that they still took care of you even after check out. The boys missed the cookies often, but the evening staff had a stash of gummie bears that were quite popular with my kids.

The rooms were clean, but small. The double beds were comfortable, but the pillows were on the less supportive side.

The location to Times Square was 2 blocks away and close to the Metro and many other attractions. We used the hop on hop off bus - Greyline - which had stops nearby so we never really needed to use taxis or public transit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello, thank you for the kind review! It makes me so happy to hear you and your family had a lovely time at our hotel. I'm sorry you guys missed out on our free cookie hours, please come back to visit us soon and I'll make sure we save some cookies for you and your family.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Service was great! People were friendly and helpful. Room was great too! Location was great between 9th Ave with great restaurants and the theaters (the reason we were in NY) Still amazed at how expensive NY is, but this hotel was within our budget. We used the fitness room twice while there. We booked two rooms and we did wish there had been a bathtub for soaking after our long days of walking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for the lovely review! I'm so pleased to hear that you had a great time in New York City and that you enjoyed your stay with us! One of our biggest plus is that we are so very near to so many wonderful restaurants and just a few blocks away from the best theaters. I really do hope you pick us again for your next visit to NYC.
philadelphia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

overall the hotel was great, very small but that is to be expected in NY. the staff was great very friendly & accommodating. breakfast area is too small for as many people that are in the hotel and the elevator has a very long wait. area on 1st floor too small for the amount of people getting on and off of the elevator to go to lobby or breakfast area

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for thaking the time to review us on TripAdvisor, I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will be returning to visit us very soon.

Been to Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South? Share your experiences!