“Great location! Best breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Leo House

You added Leo House to your Saves list
Leo House
2.5 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   332 West 23rd St, New York City, NY 10011-2289 (Chelsea)   |
Erps-Kwerps, Belgium
“Great location! Best breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Don't expect five star class. We had a room at the 7th floor with a view at 23rd street, but earplugs were provided on the pillows. The bathroom is old, but it worked, shower was great after a whole day in NY. The breakfast was wonderful! Honest and healthy food in a good variety and plenty! Friendly staff as well. It was very well priced and made our stay in NY affordable. As practising Catholics we appreciated the new chapel. There were two cross statues in our room. Although I saw one statue of the Holy Family in the dining room and one flag of Vatican City, I didn't see a cross there, but I did see 12 American Flags! Location is really top! Direct access to A-C-E subway and to 1 a little bit further. Fast access to all the big attractions!

Room Tip: Rooms with no view at 23rd street are more quiet!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The Leo House was highly recommended by friends who'd stayed there a few years ago. So we had pretty high expectations. We were quickly disappointed and we assume that our friends either didn't stay in the rooms we did, or are very easily pleased. Firstly, don't believe for a second the pictures on the web site. We assumed they were typical of the accommodation. They're far from it. I guess when there's a plaque on a door (on the 2nd floor leading to what looked like a boardroom) that reads: "Refurnished 1956 by Joseph Louis" you get a sense of what's about to confront you. We stayed in the 'family room' on Level 7. The rooms are very old - the 1956 reference would probably apply to ours, and others we saw. It reminded me of my boarding school days which, in the 1970's, were still of 1940's/50's vintage. On our first night the toilet overflowed on to the floor. My wife rang reception and was delivered an already wet mop. We went in search of a bucket and discovered a janitor's closet where we found what we needed and mopped up. I then bought some rubbing alcohol to clean the floor. It took two days to get the toilet "working", although it never really flushed properly so we mostly went five floors down to the public toilets on the 2nd floor. The table lamp in the kids' room was flickering on and off and I discovered the wall socket was very loose. The sockets are of the old two slot variety. A separate wire, four or five inches long, had been spliced into, and ran from, the plug, presumably to provide the earth. At the end was a bare, uninsulated u-shaped piece of metal (see the picture attached). It might not have been dangerous, but we weren't about to touch it to find out. In our own room none of the wall sockets worked, so someone spent a morning fixing them. The shower was very difficult to adjust and once you thought you had it right it'd run the spectrum from too cold to too hot, and vary in pressure. The sink taps are the really annoying type that spring back when you let them go, making it impossible to wash your hands together. The skinny tray above the sink ended up breaking towards the end of our stay. On the positive side breakfast was good value and Sister Kathleen Ries (Minister of Hospitality and Pastoral Matters) was very welcoming and friendly and had some great tips for those new to New York, as we were. We came really close to checking out after our first night but decided (a) we were unlikely to find anywhere else at such short notice and (b) we were going to be spending most of our days out and about, so it wasn't worth the hassle. We spoke to several other guests who were as horrified at the accommodation as we were - including one frequent and long term visitor who complained that the prices had gone up but nothing had improved. We're practising Catholics and although we weren't looking for any special treatment because of that, we did expect a greater sense of welcome from the staff of a Christian denominated venue. Sister Kathleen and one other nun aside, that wasn't the case. Suffice to say, we won't be returning, irrespective of the 'value', until we're sure the place has been significantly upgraded. So, overall: very disappointing.

Room Tip: Rooms facing W23rd St are very noisy. Insist on a refurbished room, as shown on the website.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I found the accomodations very much to my liking. the rooms were clean and when we arrived and they were cleaned each morning when my wife and I left to go about the city. The Location was ideal right in Manhattan, most things within walking distance if you are up for some exercise and walk. I love walking. The security is great also. whenever you leave to go outside the keys are dropped in a box in the hotel. The doors are secure on an automatic lock type system when you go out and come in. our room was very affordable. i can only imagine what it would have cost us to stay downtown in one of the swanky hotels????? I definitely plan on staying here again!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Ok there are some positives. The location is great in Chelsea and close to the subway making it easy to get uptown or downtown. The High Line can be accessed at the end of the street and definitely worth a visit. Overall, it is quieter than some other areas of Manhattan, however if your room faces 23rd street like ours was, good luck sleeping! (earplugs are provided however)

The best thing about Leo House is that it is cheap. My wife and I stayed there four years ago and enjoyed it so we returned this year.

Unfortunately on our next trip to New York we will pay a bit more and stay somewhere a little nicer.

We had a problem with the safe in the room that was beeping constantly. It took three trips downstairs to ask for help until finally the handyman came up to rectify the problem. On our first day we had to leave our valuables in our luggage. After asking for help twice that morning and being told someone would come up to our room, no-one turned up while we waited. Finally when we returned that evening and I advised the person at the desk about the issue, the problem was rectified.

We stayed for just over 2 weeks and there were renovations going on. Every morning we were woken up at 8am with drilling and banging just above us. One morning, at about 9.30am a staff member knocked on the door and let herself in before I could even get to the door. She was accompanied by two workers and they wanted access to the room. They came in and were about to get started doing whatever they needed to do when she called downstairs and they told her not to do anything until the room was unoccupied. Surely they could have just called and asked when we would be leaving for the day? A manager returned soon after to explain why they needed access and when they could come in. At this point I asked if there were any other rooms available, as the morning drilling above our heads was getting a bit much. She said she would look into it and let us know. I am yet to hear back...

Ou room had an adjoining room which we were not told about. A door, similar to all doors, led to the other room. The door was locked however when we arrived on our first night, I tried to open the door thinking it was the toilet. It was quite a shock to the people in the other room thinking someone was trying to get in! The same thing then happened to us on three occasions as guests in the other room tried to open the door, including late one night when were woken up. A simple sign on the door would help, or perhaps just advise guests when checking in.

We were up on level 7 and had to share a bathroom. Unfortunately, 2/3 bathrooms were out of the order. Having only one bathroom available meant at times having to wait for your turn to have a shower. The bathroom was terrible and we dreaded having showers each evening. It was almost impossible to get the water temperature right, leading to either freezing or scalding showers. The sink was also constantly clogged. On one occasion I entered only to see the bath in a puddle, clogged up with hair. The only thing I could do was put my hand down and pull out the disgusting hair. Makes me a little bit ill just thinking about it.

The breakfast is overrated. We tried it once and it wasn't anything special. You are in New York, get outside and try all the great food around! For a treat head down 23rd street to Doughnut Plant.

Security is good as you leave the key when you leave the building, so no need to worry about carrying a key/card. The beds were very comfortable, but the room looked nothing like the photos. The TV was old with basic channels. Free Wifi in the rooms allowed for basic email and internet. Too slow for anything advanced. A simple paint job in the hallways and rooms would make a massive difference.

Overall, unfortunately I don't think we will be back. Next time I need somewhere I can get some sleep and have a nice shower after a long day of walking around the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't facing 23rd. Book a room with an ensuite.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at the Leo House based on a recommendation from a friend who said it was reasonable and in a great location. True on both counts. You walk out the door right into the action of lower Manhattan; close to subways and restaurants. Initial reaction was good, with a well-maintained, clean lobby and friendly and accommodating staff. It's an old building, like many in NY, and had its quirks. Our room was small with two twin beds (I had requested a single bed, so our breakfasts were comped for the mistake). However, there was a lot to be desired about the room. The paint and plaster were chipped. In fact, the entire floor (6th) needed a good painting. The grout in the small bathroom needed cleaning, there were the irritating spring-loaded faucets in the sink that don't stay on and, the weirdest part, there was an old radiator heater mounted high in the shower! The shower head was broken making it difficult to take a shower. The only room amenity was an old tube TV. No frig, micro or coffee maker (though the hotel rules state no food in rooms, the staff allowed us to take some up). Despite those issues we enjoyed our stay, primarily due to the great staff and location.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

So I don't know why I am writing this, except they deserve the accolade and everyone should stay! Our room was perfect, small but who needs a big room if you are there to see the city. Super comfy beds with THREE pillows each and excellent quality bed and bath linens. Even though we were street side we slept well. Breakfast, for an extra 9 dollars was money well spent, with a wide range of good food and plenty of great coffee to start the day. The staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble, and they clearly genuinely care about their guests and the hotel. Add to that the location... Subway just two minutes away, some excellent restaurants on the doorstep and a delightful garden to relax in. We are already booked to return and looking forward to our next stay.

Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Leo House is a very basic youth hostel-type place. Location is the best: 23rd St in Chelsea, between 8th/9th Aves, close to everything and everywhere, good subway lines nearby. My room had a quiet and powerful air conditioner and bilious pink walls with spackle remnants, a cross on the wall as big as the mirror, a TV smaller than both, no clock or radio. Decent water pressure. No amenities (shampoo) and the nicest staff you'd ever want to greet you. I paid $99 for a single room, private bath. There is a free breakfast that I didn't try.

So, if you can do the YMCA, Leo House won't let you down!

Room Tip: they give you earplugs but I didn't need them - room was very quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Leo House? Share your experiences!