You added Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan / Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan / Fifth Avenue
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 West 37th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #223 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Homestead, Florida
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I was a little skeptical about staying at this hotel after reading some of the other reviews and also this was our first time visiting New York. I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised.Check in was smooth and took only a few minutes. The rooms are small but we spent most of our time out and about so that really was not an issue. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean. Our room was on the 17th floor so we did not hear any noise from the street level. The complimentary breakfast was pretty good, they had scrambled eggs, sausage, fruits, a variety of pastries and breads, cereal, yogurts and starbucks coffee. The breakfast area is not that big so I would suggest getting there early. The hotel is a short walk from the nearest subway station as well as times square and the theatre district. After we checked out, the hotel staff allowed us to leave our luggage there for a few hours while we completed our sight seeing, which was very convenient. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: rooms facing south have a view of the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Apart from a great, convenient location, this hotel is simply average. It serves its purpose. However, I will note that Paulina and Daniel at the front desk were both great as well as the maintenance man who arrived quickly to my room to fix an issue.

The rooms are incredibly small -- think the Hudson Hotel in Manhattan small, and the lighting in the room is terrible. The air conditioner works great, but as previous reviewers have stated it is incredibly noisy. Also if someone coughs in a room next to you, you hear it.

My main issue was unfortunately with the security measures at the hotel. Due to its convenient location it appears to be a popular hotel for those on business, which is great. Security measures are only effective measures if they are applied to everyone. I was stopped exactly four times and questioned by front desk staff. The first two times I found it reassuring that the front desk was stopping people as a security measure. The last two times were annoying for two reasons: one time the front desk person absolutely saw me walk out of the hotel, run down to a drugstore, and come back in within max 10 minutes. The time that bothered me the most though was the last day of my stay when I walked past the front desk and while waiting for the elevator in the lobby, I was questioned by the front desk staff member. I was asked my full name and room number outloud, twice, in front of other guests aka strangers. I (albeit sarcastically) asked the staff member if they were going to interrogate the man in the business suit who also walked in when I walked in, but the staff member did not, and the man proceeded to his room unquestioned and unbothered. As a female wearing jeans instead of a suit, I found this to be quite unfair and ridiculous. One last note-- I added a name to the reservation when I arrived for a family member to pick up a key. The man at the front desk added the name in. I even had to give my ID to add the name. However, when this family member arrived, no name was in the reservation. Luckily enough, I happened to be in the hotel room when the front desk (yet another staff member) called up to say the guest had arrived.

Overall, good location, but needs to straighten itself out. I'd probably stay again due to location if the price was right, but there are much better Marriotts in NYC.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I you like your view to be a neighboring brick wall and an air conditioning that sounds like a raging motorcycle every tenth minute it goes on to regulate your rooms temperature you will like this hotel. If not, choose another one. Without the air conditioning on, these dark and cramped rooms soon becomes airless and stuffy and you think opening the window will be a solution, but think again. With the window open there are these fans or neighboring rooms air condition units or whatever it is that sounds like a jet engine and prevent you from having the window open. Having a good night´s sleep here requires both Xanax and sleeping pills (no kidding). Sure, the staff is nice but in my opinion that is far from enough to defend the cost for staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Apparently it doesn´t help to ask for a room with a view, they won´t give you one anyway.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Boonton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We came to the city for a family wedding. We chose this hotel because of location and price, since it's very convenient to Bryant Park, where the reception took place. We checked in and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful front desk staff. We received a wonderful greeting from Daniel, who has a great personality. He also upgraded us, since we are platinum Marriott members, to an executive suite on the top floor, which was a quite large room with refrigerator, safe, king bed, and also with a balcony with a view of the Chrysler Bldg, and huge walk-in shower--awesome, plus there are only two rooms on that floor, so it was very quiet. Every time we saw Daniel, he greeted us by name and always offered any kind of assistance, along with lots of friendly chat. Also note that a hot breakfast was included. The location is great, since it's right off 5th Ave and very close to Times Square and Broadway.

Our only concern about this hotel is the security. During the day, anyone can go to the elevators and go to any floor; also, the balcony door didn't lock, and there is a building right next to the balcony, where someone could jump to the balcony, if they are dare-devils.
FYI: there is no valet parking, but you get a discount for a nearby indoor parking lot.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

This was my first time to stay in this hotel and I really didn't know what to expect. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. First, off, if you are expecting a big over plush hotel and all the service of say a big JW Marriott, this is not that hotel. But they don't pretend to be a a complete full service hotel and they are not. But they are very good at what they are. First, let me talk about the staff...they were all very friendly, and helpful. I was there on a mostly business trip and looking to save some money. I had a small but very nice and clean room. If you are by yourself this is a good hotel. Yes the rooms are small, so if there is two of you, this could be a problem. The rooms close for the front of the hotel seem to get more noise, especially late at night, but hey it's NY. They have free breakfast in the morning, but I was already up and out by that time. The location is good, just off 5th. Would I return? Yes, mainly for the value and the very good staff. Even the janitor/clean up guy is nice and friendly. Tip: good full service deli just across the street for meals.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are much quieter. Nice full service deli across the street, try and salad bar.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Its NYC, we expected a very small room. However the double beds room was quite ok, not too small. The staff was very helpful and friendly. It was very thoughtful that they served nice complimentary breakfast, lemonade and cookies in the afternoon and 24 hours starbuck coffee and tea and hot water. For us, party of 8, it was an added value.

• Stayed June 2014
Loomis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hello - I have been a rewards customer for the past 3 1/2 years booking all my business travel with Marriott properties. I have just experienced the very worst customer service ever! I booked a stay for business travel that I have to cancel due to client cancelation. I'm told the rate I booked was not refundable according to the GM at this hotel. (The rate was $477. ) I've never experienced this before and didn't intend to book a non-refundable rate...which by the way is only a few dollars less than what is available at this same hotel today. Usually a reservation can be changed within 24 hours. I have spoken to your hotel staff your customer service department, your Marriott guest customer service department (total time between these 3 calls after being put on hold and hung up on) was approximately 2 hours. The end result is this hotel would not allow me to cancel or even credit a stay unless I can rebook within one week...not even an offer to rebook within 3 months which would have worked. You have lost a rewards member; you have lost my future business with this type of "customer service". I will be sure to share this with all of my colleagues. We represent a major media company and travel extensively each week and I'm sure you are aware that there are many hotel choices available! Thanks for nothing Marriott!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan / Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!