“For NYC, Very Good; Nice Staff; Good Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan / Fifth Avenue

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan / Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan / Fifth Avenue
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 West 37th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #215 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Sao Paulo, SP
“For NYC, Very Good; Nice Staff; Good Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I just spent 5 days in New York City for work and pleasure. There were very few hotels with rooms at any price that could be considered reasonable when I booked, 5 months in advance. After some considerable searching, I found a room at the Fairfield Inn on 37th. It was still more than $300 per night, but it was cheap compared to anything else that was reasonably located. NYC is a tough town in which to get a room during most of the year.

Small but well laid out room. The hotel is relatively small – 18 floors with 6 rooms per floor. The rooms are very basic, as one might expect of a Fairfield Inn. The rooms are small by normal standards. But I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels in NYC and these rooms are actually not bad by NYC standards. You’ve got what you need: the bathroom is small but serviceable. The work area is actually decent. I had no problem working at the desk area, which I had to do almost every day for at least a few hours. The storage is spartan. There’s only one normal sized drawer in the closet. The closet itself is the width of like a person. If you’re in town for anything more than a few days, there’s no way you’re going to have enough space to store your stuff, except in your suitcase. I only had a few things, so storage was fine for me and then I put the suitcase above the armoir. It worked. To the hotel’s credit, the room felt a little bigger than it was. The window looked out on the street. Nothing special, but at least there was light. The room décor and appliances look fairly new, but even so, you can already start to see wear and tear in the carpet and walls. Little nicks, stains, etc. are evident. In about two years it’s going to look pretty tired. Inexpensive hotels in NYC get used pretty hard, this one is probably no exception.

Very good service by NYC standards. I’ve visited and worked in NYC for many years. It isn’t a city known for friendly service. However, the staff at this Fairfield Inn was extremely pleasant and helpful. I had a problem with one of the lamps that had a burned out bulb. They replaced it within 30 minutes and were quite nice about it.

Breakfast is included, which is nice. It’s a very basic breakfast, so don’t expect much. But considering how expensive eating out is in the area, I was content.

Location is excellent and a main reason why I picked the hotel. Midtown is convenient for Times Square, most of the business area around Grand Central, etc. etc. Sometimes I stay in New Jersey to save a few dollars, but the hassle of having to catch a cab or use the Path or whatever to come into the city for meetings every day or whatever you’re doing isn’t worth it unless you’ve got a pretty relaxed schedule, which I didn’t this time.

Overall, thumbs up for this Fairfield Inn. It’s cozy, but considering NYC, a decent deal with a friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: High floors may be quieter ... hard to say. I didn't hear too much street noise, but some comlai...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. The staff at the front desk are wonderful; there's nothing better than being greeted with a warm hello and smile when coming back from a long day of work. One of the staff was also kind enough to sprint down the street one morning to help me get a cab. My room was impeccably clean and lacked the usual wear and tear of heavily-used Manhattan hotel rooms. Sure, the room was smaller than what you might find in another town, but IT'S IN MIDTOWN MANHATTAN, for crying out loud! If you expect to find a larger room in this area for the same price, you are going to be sorely disappointed. Free breakfast was a treat.

What probably amazed me the most was that I never heard any outside noise; not a single car horn or siren during my 4 night stay. My room was on the back of the building, so that might have helped. The only thing that might be problematic is that the interior walls may be a bit thin. I had a neighbor one night and was able to hear their TV through the shared wall.

I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in town on business.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
new england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were very small but updated and nice. Perfect if you are just using to sleep.
Location great walk to many of NY best known sites and easy access to subways. Very friendly and helpful front desk and bellman.

• Stayed November 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had BAD experience with this hotel. It is POORLY equipped, badly organized, and NOT READY for emergencies. Marriott should not have put its label on it. The Marriott label to our mind represents quality. This hotel is sadly lacking quality. And it is badly organized.

On entering our room, we found it far too small. It had one night table, with 2 EXTREMELY small drawers. You could not put a folded shirt there. The wardrobe for clothes had only 3 hangers for two people. There was a desk and wired internet, wireless only in common areas. Breakfast had yogurts, poor apples, poor oranges, waffles, bread, milk, cereal, bad coffee AND paper plates and plastic cutlery. The quality of the breakfast was acceptable.

We could have somehow survived the poor quality of the hotel except when the hurricane Sandy hit. At 11 p.m. on Monday when Sandy hit we were woken by the loudspeaker: "we lost power (actually a Central Hudson transformer blew up), we will provide emergency lighting in public areas, not for the elevators. If you need the elevator, call down using your phone and we send you the elevator". This announcement demonstrates that this hotel has NEVER prepared for the emergency. I tested the telephone, no dial tone... So the people did not know that their telephone dies with lack of electricity. In addition, they did not mention, that with lack of electricity, there will NOT be WATER either. In other words, their emergency generator did not provide power for the pumps of water. In contrast, Residence Inn (two blocks away) states: "Water pressure will be impacted during a power outage". (But water will be there.) In the middle of Manhattan the Fairfield Inn is TOTALLY unready for emergencies, not realizing that without water the toilets would stink to high heaven. Why did they not connect the water to their emergency generators? Too cheap to get large enough generators? (The hotel charges around $400 a night!!!)

In the morning after the storm the staff did not tell us (we are elite members of Marriott) that they would find another hotel. They were totally incapable of handling the emergency.

Marriott should review this hotel, dismiss the management and revise their emergency procedures.

Avoid this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TraceyRucks, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan / Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your personal experience. I apologize for falling short of your expectations during Hurricane Sandy. It is always our goal to satisfy our guests and most importantly keep them safe. Hurricane Sandy presented us with a very challenging event for our staff and guests as we were faced with no power, no lights, no heat, and no water. These problems did not happen all at the same time so we were faced with series of challenges. We were certainly available to assist guests in relocation. Most importantly, I am glad you are safe and I apologize for the inconveinces.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in NYC with plans to stay at a friend's apartment, which fell through right after we landed. We used Marriott points to stay here, not knowing anything about the hotel except that it was in a great location.

Daniel, who was working at the front desk, was probably the most helpful and friendly hotel employees I have ever encountered. We only stayed one night and he was so amazing that we all hugged him when we left! He even ran down to Fifth Ave and got a cab for us! We were having trouble with this because we checked out on the day the hurricane was coming, and cabs weren't very plentiful. He took care of this immediately, and definitely did not have to. It was so great to see someone willing to go above and beyond, and also an employee who loves his job and it shows.

The rooms are very clean, and yes they are small, but they are the standard size for NYC. We stayed in a suite on the 18th floor and it was fantastic. Probably one of the largest showers you'll find in a hotel like this! The view was also amazing, and our wall was all windows. There were four of us staying in this room (king bed and a fold out couch), and we had plenty of room. There are also only two rooms on the 18th floor, so it was really quite.

And the location can't be beat! We would definitely return, and highly recommend to anyone.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and will choose us again next time. I shared your comments with the team and in particular, Danny, the bellman. Yes, the shower in the suite on the 18th floor is amazing! Great view! Come see us again.
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you are looking for the luxurious Manhattan experience, this place is not for you. There is no concierge (the desk clerks claim to "double" as concierge, but I knew more of Manhattan than they did), no fluffy bathrobe, no deluxe restaurant (only a breakfast room), no room service. It was basic accomodation in a really small room. So why did I give it such a high rating? The location is fabulous -- we could walk to just about anything that we wanted to see and do. And the rooms are tiny, but clean and comfortable. The bed was actually really comfortable. The hotel is not very large -- only 92 rooms and is tucked away on a quiet street, so the sleep quality was excellent. And it has a cozy, intimate feeling about it.

And for the area of Manhattan, I could not find a better price.

There is a free continental breakfast: get to breakfast early. The breakfast room is very small and you could end up standing to eat.

Overall, I came away very pleased with the stay.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel have a view of the Empire State Building. There is construction...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed one night at this Fairfield Inn. The room was OK but the internet is only wired and it didn't work when I arrived. The breakfast was poor and the breakfast room was crowded. On the positive side the staff was very nice.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan / Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!